Is Testing Being Conducted Every Morning ?

morpheusofthesea

Just got back from the Paris to Swiss Alps River Cruise.  We did the saliva test everyday on board the river ship.  Only needed to fill to about the 2 ml mark. I filled the tube as i began to get dressed. We took the tubes to a service desk on the way to breakfast.

We were free to visit stores, restaurants and cafes or museum on our on.  Always had to show our Covid Vaccination card and usually photo ID to enter Places.  A few shops required the cards but all places inside required us to wear a mask to enter. Once seated at a table we could remove the mask.

There were no positive cases on our river cruise. 

During our hotel stays the only test was for our return flights to the USA.

Doing the Saliva test was a small inconvenience to be able to travel. Looking forward to no testing or mask on next trip.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 8:24 PM, MarkBearSF said:

A couple of points:

- To the question about spit alternatives for those with "salivary issues" - Yes. They offer an alternative; you may need a doctor's note or known medical condition to qualify. I don't recall the details, but there was a poster who had that problem and was able to use an alternative.

- A tip to make the collection less onerous. If you're over 50, you probably are like me and need to get up once or twice in the middle of night to pee. Before you go to bed, leave the tubes in the bathroom. It's easy to get half way to 2ml, lessening the amount to spit the next morning. MUUUUUCH easier! 

I knew that there was daily testing but never stopped to think how it was collected.  2ml doesn’t sound like much but the fact that one has to make multiple attempts has me concerned.  I have an autoimmune disease that causes dry mouth.  I am on medication for it and that helps …but no guarantee that I can create a lot.  I had trouble getting enough for the AncestryDNA test.  Thank you for mentioning that they have an alternative.  We have a few more months and if the testing policy remains, I will talk to them before embarking.

Happy to read this thread. Having to spit in a vile doesn’t bother me at all. I assume each file is labeled securely with the passenger’s information. We almost did a river cruise a few months ago and people on the boards were reporting having to turn in their vials at 7 AM. As I understood it, you had to take them to a desk on board. I am not an early riser and  dreaded that so much! I could handle 8:30 AM.  It’s true shore excursions can start rather early at times. Some posters said that 7 AM was required because the shore excursions were early. Yet information on this thread indicates otherwise. Or that was the case back in July and August. Perhaps the variations in collecting have to do with the captain of each ship. (I know that captains on ocean ships sometimes have differing policies even within the same cruise line.) 

Thanks to everyone who provided info their experience.

On the first day there were 4 tubes total (one each for that first on board spit test and the ones for the next morning).  Apparently we both used hubby's two tubes for the first ones.  The steward later before dinner told me I needed to do another lovely spit test using the tube with my name on it.  Check the names!  

Edited by Famsw
  • Like 1