Cruise Rules, Policies and Requirements are Fluid; Please Stay Flexible!!!!!

Sthrngary

The purpose of this post is to give a historical perspective to taking a recent cruise.  The focus is on the rules, policies, requirements and how they constantly changed until the very last day prior to boarding.  I hope you learn from my experience.

• All Brands Do Not Have the Same Rules:  I was on Crystal Cruises and my next cruise is on NCL.  Each brand has their own spin.  It is up to all of us to be on top of that information. Our travel agents can be helpful however nothing takes the place of due diligence. The way to do this is to go to your brands website and usually the materials are under FAQ.  NCL today send me an email with three very important links to different parts of their website.  As you navigate, you have options to download documents and watch videos.  Pretty well done.
  • Check Covid-19 Testing Requirements Daily:  My cruise is in 30 days.  I notice posts on social media contradict NCL’s policies however come across as sounding correct.  I don’t trust anyone one or anything other than on the NCL website.  An example was someone who said a Covid-19 test was required to be taken two-days before the cruise departed.  I went to the NCL site, and it said it was recommended, not required so you don’t come all the way to the port and test positive.  I love social media however I want the information in writing on the company’s website.
  • On Board Masking Requirements: There was no masking requirement onboard my Crystal Cruise mid-August.  It was a fully vaccinated cruise, and everyone was tested at the port. However, the week prior, someone tested positive for covid-19.  Crystal put back some masking requirement for my cruise.  Not everywhere, but places of concern.  This means, lets all be careful and know that things out of our control can change the policies on our upcoming cruise.  Then make the best of it.
  • Covid-19 Police On-Board:  My wife and I talk about this all the time. Sometimes we wear a mask, even double masks in a populated place where social distancing is not observed.  We know full well that the masks “Protests you from me”.  We sometimes to do it to make a point.  Please attempt not to cramp us, fist pump vs. handshake, if we give you distance, please do the same for us.  We deal with the situation and never condescending.  Yet, we see and hear guests yelling and screaming at other guests.  It goes both ways. “Why are you wearing a mask.  It does nothing for you. Take it off. You don’t have to have it on this cruise.” And “Stay away from me.  You don’t have a mask on, and you are in my space.  I don’t want to be near you or touch you.”  We have heard both.  My advice is know, as well as, follow the rules.  Walk away rather than create a scene.  We are NOT the Covid-19 police. We are on vacation.
  • The Golden Rule: Do on to others what you want them to do on to you.  Simple words to live by.  If we were all completely honest, any exposer of crowds is a risk including cruises.  More importantly, emotionally it is hard for some folks to come out of their cave. Even though they know the cruise is fully vaccinated and everyone has been tested. Human nature to be just a bit scared for some folks. Let’s all try to be kind and considerate.  Remember back when we could let our issues, opinions and political leanings stay at home and simply enjoy our vacation with 4,400 strangers soon to be our best friends.  Those were the days.

Cruise well everyone and enjoy every minute.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Great words to cruise by, Gary! We, as a country, have gone pretty far astray from how we use or interpret the Golden Rule! I find myself uttering "I remember how it used to be when..." far too often! Now, I would change just one word in your post in the last paragraph. Where you say "Human nature to be just a bit scared...". I would rather be a bit "cautious" than "scared" or maybe even "considerate". Thanks for your reminder for all of us to be kind and respect everyone's personal space.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Yet, we see and hear guests yelling and screaming at other guests.  It goes both ways. “Why are you wearing a mask.  It does nothing for you. Take it off. You don’t have to have it on this cruise.” And “Stay away from me.  You don’t have a mask on, and you are in my space.  I don’t want to be near you or touch you.”  We have heard both.  My advice is know, as well as, follow the rules.  Walk away rather than create a scene.  We are NOT the Covid-19 police. We are on vacation.

You have actually witnessed this behavior on a cruise? I have been on three total sailings during COVID and I can't believe anyone would be confronting anyone else about wearing a mask on board. That is insanely rude. Why would anyone care if someone else was wearing a mask? I could see confrontations over NOT wearing a mask in areas where it is required, but giving someone a hard time for wearing a mask, if it's not required? I would not want to cruise with people who would be confrontational over something like that. Not that I want to cruise with confrontational people generally either.

• Thanks 2