Another Viking Air Question

ColonyGirl2

Hi All,

We are on the British Isles cruise next August.  We have a great Viking Air rate.  We want to arrive early to London and then do an Oslo extension on our own, so fly home from Oslo.  We know we need to upgrade to Air Plus and pay the deviation fee.

So my question is about seat upgrades due to status with airline.  United has the flights I want, and when I normally book with them, I can choose "Preferred" seats and then at check-in, upgrade to Economy Plus at no cost for me and DH.

Will I still be able to upgrade at check-in if I use Viking?  I think I read that I can't do a paid upgrade, but this upgrade is due to Silver status and no money involved.  I assume my Mileage Plus number can still be added to the reservation even if Viking books it.  But I know what they say about making assumptions....

Anyone have experience with this?

Can’t answer your specific questions, but I will say you should add your Mileage Plus number in the Air Preferences section of MVJ. We usually get United points when Viking chooses United for us - whether or not we use Air Plus. Once you are ticketed, I would contact United to see what changes you can make.

Upgrading is completely dependent on the underlying fare rules of the ticket you purchase.  Note how your UA elite status won't get you an Economy Plus upgrade if you are on a Basic Economy ticket.  Why - because the fare rules specifically disallow upgrades on that fare basis.

So, if you are buying a ticket from Viking that has a restrictive fare rule on upgrades, your status means nothing for a seat upgrade.

How do you know the fare basis of the ticket you will get?  Good luck -- that's one of the downsides of buying cruiseline bulk air.

Edited by FlyerTalker

After Viking ticketed us with AA, I was able to go on American Airlines and improve our seats. DH has a "platinum for life" status and we were able to use the benefits of his status even though we had used Viking Air

1 hour ago, ColonyGirl2 said:

Thanks for the info.  I hope it works for us and United.

There is one way to be assured that you will get full elite benefits from an airline:

Buy your ticket direct from them. 

Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the specific fare you are buying. That "great rate" might not be so great after all once you read the terms and conditions of the fare rules.  Especially with bulk negotiated fares.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

There is one way to be assured that you will get full elite benefits from an airline:

Buy your ticket direct from them. 

Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the specific fare you are buying. That "great rate" might not be so great after all once you read the terms and conditions of the fare rules.  Especially with bulk negotiated fares.

Caveat emptor.

I agree, but for each situation there are choices, this was an included air ticket, we took our chances and will deal with the arising results as they present themselves. We will always book our own ticket when not included. We have flown a couple of times since Covid with Viking Air (paying a "discounted air rate" marketing tool) under the illusion Viking"s protection  would get us to the ship or get us to the next port. I'm sure they will try but the hard facts are...  if things go side ways most likely your own travel insurance will need to be activated.

38 minutes ago, C-sea said:

if things go side ways most likely your own travel insurance will need to be activated.

And remember - "insurance" is only to mitigate against the direct documented financial losses you may incur, with payment after the fact.  It will do nothing to actually change your actual circumstances.

40 minutes ago, C-sea said:

this was an included air ticket, we took our chances and will deal with the arising results as they present themselves. 

As long as folks are aware of the complete picture, I have no argument.  The informed consumer is my goal.

• Like 2