Anyone here been surprised by a positive pre-cruise COVID test?

Silent Penguin

I am not usually a worrier, but the closer my cruise date gets, the bigger this goofy fear grows that my pre-cruise Covid test is going to come up positive even if I  feel like I'm in excellent health.  I'm about ready to quarantine myself for the next 8 days until my test.  

Are you vaxxed?   Eligible for the booster?  Won't necessarily prevent you from catching COVID if in an area where COVID is running rampant or if walking around unmasked in close quarter indoor settings, but will give you comfort of mind.  Get a rapid test now and then just watch the environment where you are, staying away from super spreader events..  

Edited to say for many the super spreader has come from being shut up inside their home.

Edited by crewsweeper

26 minutes ago, Silent Penguin said:

I am not usually a worrier, but the closer my cruise date gets, the bigger this goofy fear grows that my pre-cruise Covid test is going to come up positive even if I  feel like I'm in excellent health.  I'm about ready to quarantine myself for the next 8 days until my test.  

I received my second shot on March 30, but in mid-August I tested positive and had to cancel my cruise that was just days away.  Royal was great about it and I received a full cash refund (took about five weeks for everything to be refunded).  I tested again in mid-September and was able to cruise in mid-September.

I agree with previous OP, if you are concerned, test now with an at home test.  Then do your best to stay socially distanced until your cruise.  Hope you have a great cruise!   

I remember reading a post here not too far back (3-4 weeks ago?) that someone tested positive on their pre-boarding test. Unfortunately, they reported that it was a false positive (negative results on subsequent tests) but it was enough to keep them off the ship.

50 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Are you vaxxed?   Eligible for the booster?  Won't necessarily prevent you from catching COVID if in an area where COVID is running rampant or if walking around unmasked in close quarter indoor settings, but will give you comfort of mind.  Get a rapid test now and then just watch the environment where you are, staying away from super spreader events..  

Edited to say for many the super spreader has come from being shut up inside their home.

Thank you for your help.  Yes, I'm vaccinated but I'm not eligible for the booster.  I think your suggestion to test soon and be conscientious about exposure will ease my fear.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I remember reading a post here not too far back (3-4 weeks ago?) that someone tested positive on their pre-boarding test. Unfortunately, they reported that it was a false positive (negative results on subsequent tests) but it was enough to keep them off the ship.

Yes! I think I remember that post.  At the time, booking a cruise wasn't on my radar -I booked this one last minute on Sunday-so reading about this happening to someone slipped my mind.  That just sucks!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

I received my second shot on March 30, but in mid-August I tested positive and had to cancel my cruise that was just days away.  Royal was great about it and I received a full cash refund (took about five weeks for everything to be refunded).  I tested again in mid-September and was able to cruise in mid-September.

I agree with previous OP, if you are concerned, test now with an at home test.  Then do your best to stay socially distanced until your cruise.  Hope you have a great cruise!   

Thanks for sharing that. I'm so sorry this happened to you.  I'm guessing it was a shock to get those results and a terrible disappointment so close to departure.  Rebooking must have taken away some of the sting.  Was it a false positive like the post ScottsSweetie mentioned? 

2 hours ago, Silent Penguin said:

Thanks for sharing that. I'm so sorry this happened to you.  I'm guessing it was a shock to get those results and a terrible disappointment so close to departure.  Rebooking must have taken away some of the sting.  Was it a false positive like the post ScottsSweetie mentioned? 

No, it was a true positive.  I lost my sense of smell on the same day I took the test.  But I was glad it was caught before I was onboard a ship, for my own sake as well as the other cruisers and crew.  So I took solace in the fact that at least I was sick at home and financially, I did not take any kind of hit.  

31 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

No, it was a true positive.  I lost my sense of smell on the same day I took the test.  But I was glad it was caught before I was onboard a ship, for my own sake as well as the other cruisers and crew.  So I took solace in the fact that at least I was sick at home and financially, I did not take any kind of hit.  

Wow,  you're so right.  The test protected everyone on board.   I'll remember that if it happens to me.  

• Like 1

We fly to Miami on a Wednesday for a Saturday sailing.

My intention is to take the Covid test in Miami on Thursday afternoon. Therefore I have Friday to test again just in case there is a positive and I can retest to check for a false positive.

We always fly in a couple of days early anyway just to acclimate to the weather and time zone change.

Of course this assumes that testing will still be required in March of next year.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Edited by klfrodo