Cost of Viking Excursions

donaldsc

On 11/16/2021 at 4:35 AM, Mich3554 said:

This is important.  This trip, 3 times our excursion has returned after we were supposed to leave.  I suspect that today’s excursion will add to this.  We have a 5 hour excursion and are due back at the same time we are supposed to leave.

We just returned from our first Viking cruise. It was a wonderful experience and we will sail on Viking again. However, as others have posted on these boards, many prefer to travel onshore independently. I can understand this more now after doing all Viking-led excursions. Three of our paid excursions were phenomenal, two were duds. What was disappointing for us - on the one, the guide went way over the time allotted so we did not return to the ship until close to 3 PM when we were supposed to get back at 12:45 PM, we started before 8 AM. It was draining to hear the guide go on and on and hardly move as we stood and looked at exhibits. On the other less than great experience, Turkey's Amazing Edifices, we were punished for not doing our homework up front. We did not realize that the Blue Mosque is being renovated and there's nothing much to see inside - the interior is covered by scaffolding,  and hidden behind construction netting / draped canvas, etc. There was just a tiny glimpse into the blue tiles on the ceiling visible. There were massive crowds and a lot of waiting in the cold drizzle to get in. Had we done our research, we would have gone on our own to Hagia Sophia which was just across the way. Also, the palace tour was somewhat of a let down because again, we did not see the areas that were promoted on Viking TV and in a shipboard lecture the previous day. We gave some constructive feedback to Viking on this because the areas promoted on Viking TV and in a lecture were not part of the tour and gave us inaccurate expectations.

My recommendation would be to do your due diligence on the Viking tours - are the sites really open that you are going to see or has the country temporarily closed them down due to COVID or renovations? Also, recognize that the Viking tours may go way over the time scheduled and that you will be forced to wait it out with the group.

Edited by PKNC
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, PKNC said:

Three of our paid excursions were phenomenal,

Tell us about theses tours . Were they Istanbul too? 

It is always good to do research on the  city  sites you want to see as you say.  

I remember I had been so disappointed that I never got to see the Ephesus museum because it was closed for two + years  doing renovations. When in Siena, the whole cathedral was covered in scaffolding ! 

But I did luck out the at the Ufizzi museum in Florence. Some of the great painting had recently( Giotto 's Madonna) been cleaned and restored to their original brilliance. 

When I saw it on the gallery wall , it brought tears to my eyes. It was so beautiful . I had done my research. 

So glad you  had a good first Viking cruise, dispite two  terrible excursions, one due to the guide. 

Edited by Azulann

I fear that it may be a while before shore excursions are back to pre-covid standards, especially since covid itself still is a problem. With the extended lockdowns and limits on tourism, I think many tour guides (and other employees of the tourism sector) have found other jobs. Experienced tour guides may not rush to return to jobs that are still being impacted by potential restrictions and shutdowns. 

• Like 2

When we go on the Viking excursions we often just use them as transport/ expedited entry/lunch provider. We only go on them if it makes sense either financially or logistically. 

Eg at Rotorua having bought a guide book prior to the cruise we asked when and where to meet the bus then left the tour. As a result we were able to stroll around the whole site at our leisure, and be able to take our time watching the kiwis (birds, not people!) dodging all the tours in progress to enjoy the best viewponts being uncrowded. We spent extra time watching mud go 'gloop' and 'splut' rather than have the included lunch. 

There is a problem in that Vikings tours often seem to have one element too many, which often isn't really relevant to the main point, such as a visit to a church after a trip to a Viking ship museum. We'd much rather go straight to wherever, then straight back so we can then do something independently.