Orion - deck chairs & stray questions

Queenvee

I am considering the 2/23/22 Caribbean/Panama Canal voyage since the current promotion includes a discounted single supplement.  (I've done dozens of cruises on Cunard, HAL & Azamara but Viking is usually too costly for me as a solo traveller.). I studied the deck plans and a happy to see a real promenade deck - are there lounge chairs on the prom deck?  Typically, the mid-ships pool areas are crowded with rows of lounge chairs, music blaring and generally not "peace and quiet".  Are there areas on the Orion that are less crowded but provide sunning opps and water views?  

As a solo traveller, I enjoy eating dinner with different people in the dining room - some ships call it "free" dining, where you show up whenever you want to eat and the maitre d' seats you with a table with various people.  Does Viking offer this?  (and especially now). Thank you for any info!

There are a few  couches on the stern of the promenade deck.  The main  pool never seemed to have blasting music, not silly games etc!.  There are also lounges looking out to the sea , it is wonderful. There are plenty of lounges with total quiet on deck 8 only a short walk to the aft pool and hot tub.  There are also loungers around that pool!  I can always read in peace and quiet.

Pre-covid quite often we were asked if we wanted to join others...not sure what it will be like now.  there used to be an effort to let the "singles" have a drink or small group  before dinner and often the group went to dinner.

We were on a WC and met many singles that we spent time with...on the shorter cruise truthfully I do not remember interacting with singles.

GO ...Viking is a great choice!

VANTAGE is also a travel group that seems to be very inclusive to Singles.  Not sure how they have survived the pandemic.  We have taken fantastic smallship trips with them.  Irrawaddy, Mekong, Amazon and the Sacred Valley and Machu PIchu which were ALL fantastic!  Met and enjoyed many singles on these small ship adventures..highly recommend!

2 hours ago, Queenvee said:

I studied the deck plans and a happy to see a real promenade deck - are there lounge chairs on the prom deck?  Typically, the mid-ships pool areas are crowded with rows of lounge chairs, music blaring and generally not "peace and quiet".  Are there areas on the Orion that are less crowded but provide sunning opps and water views?  

Go to You Tube and search for Viking Ocean ship tours and you'll find many videos that will show you the different outdoor areas with their seating.

• Like 2

Queenvee can you tell me more about the discounted single supplement? We are considering the 3/9/2022 Panama Canal & Central America Cruise and don't find any information about this discount.

P.S. We are repeat Viking cruisers and HIGHLY recommend this line.

There is allways somewhere quiet to sit, the band can be easily avoided by reading the daily schedule. If you want to avoid peopling for a bit there's allways your balcony to sit on 

Viking don't do traditional dining, The main dining room (unless covid precautions intervene) is no reservations, Manfredis is reservation, but I understand it is usually possible to be seated without one. 

The buffet has plenty tables, likewise the pool grill and room service is 24 hours. All of these are no extra charge. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 12:40 PM, florafun said:

Queenvee can you tell me more about the discounted single supplement? We are considering the 3/9/2022 Panama Canal & Central America Cruise and don't find any information about this discount.

P.S. We are repeat Viking cruisers and HIGHLY recommend this line.

Not Queenvee but wanted to let you know that it often helps to ask for a single supplement discount even if one is not being shown online or in Viking’s promo. My husband’s mother has traveled with us twice on Viking. The first time via an emailed promotion but the second time we had our TA ask and voila!   Between it and the max allowable onboard credit our agent provides, her cost for 14 nights on Viking was much cheaper than 9 on Norwegian where she had to pay a full supplement. 

As my Mom used to say, “if you don’t ask, you don’t get”. 

Good Luck!