Wine list

Hobar

5 hours ago, nic2121 said:

could anyone post here their latest wine offering (including those that can be bought at an extra charge)? thanks!

Someone posted this for the Odyssey - just the complimentary ones, they said the Rioja was very nice 😁Probably won't be exactly the same but will give you an idea. 

21BD306B-2076-4C7A-9BE7-10A8DCC6CF2F.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for posting. Hoping for a bit different on Quest in 10 days. Reds are pretty meh but it’s a good wine region itinerary so we will figure it out!

I never drink the included wines on any ship.

The revenue list is generally very good and prices are cheaper than I would pay at home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for posting. Hoping for a bit different on Quest in 10 days. Reds are pretty meh but it’s a good wine region itinerary so we will figure it out!

If you manage to get a similar list could you please post?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I never drink the included wines on any ship.

The revenue list is generally very good and prices are cheaper than I would pay at home.

I'm looking for pictures of the revenue/reserve list...

26 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I will do that! I likely will bring wine on board plus purchase quite often based on this. Rayburn is most promising red IMHO

Something on the revenue list for everyone.

After the 25% club member discount some of these wines are a steal and especially if you pick the collector pack.

I can't wait to get back on board again 😀

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

After the 25% club member discount some of these wines are a steal and especially if you pick the collector pack.

I don't see which wines are "a steal" except perhaps the Grange by Penfolds.

It's a shame they don't do any effort in particular with their wines. No natural wines nor famous winemakers. Only big names.

30 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I am not sure that the 25% applies to us being first time sailing on Seabourn. I will look at the collector pack anyways, as well as wine lists. So thank you 

Can’t wait either! First cruise since C. Flight from SFO on Monday, sail next Saturday. Woohoo!

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I am not sure that the 25% applies to us being first time sailing on Seabourn. I will look at the collector pack anyways, as well as wine lists. So thank you 

Can’t wait either! First cruise since C. Flight from SFO on Monday, sail next Saturday. Woohoo!

No you won't get the discount 

Keep sailing and you'll get there.😀

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nic2121 said:

I don't see which wines are "a steal" except perhaps the Grange by Penfolds.

It's a shame they don't do any effort in particular with their wines. No natural wines nor famous winemakers. Only big names.

Yes the Grange is good

I also like the Rauzan Segla.

I drink the Crystal and Ruinart Blanc de Blanc.

Sassicaia isn't too shabby either.

As I say something for everyone.

• Like 1

What gets provisioned by shore side, and price, but usually the bar manager has a budget that he/she can use to buy local wines, but depends on the person (a former one got me local beers in most ports on multiple  cruises) and if the area is known for wines.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

What gets provisioned by shore side, and price, but usually the bar manager has a budget that he/she can use to buy local wines, but depends on the person (a former one got me local beers in most ports on multiple  cruises) and if the area is known for wines.

Can one ask for this while onboard? I'm asking because I only drink organic - if not natural - wines. So sourcing them locally could totally work out well for me!

1 hour ago, Tallante said:

Current wine list on the Encore I received today.  I believe the highlighted ones are currently not available.

IMG_2227.jpeg

Those wines that are not available are the wines that included list drinkers love to drink.

There really is not much else to get excited about is there.

Poor show I would say.

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Those wines that are not available are the wines that included list drinkers love to drink.

There really is not much else to get excited about is there.

Poor show I would say.

I want to mention that the Clarandelle is a good choice.  While not memorable, it is very drinkable and pleasant.  

13 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I want to mention that the Clarandelle is a good choice.  While not memorable, it is very drinkable and pleasant.  

What's the year as the blend can vary.

It's three grape varieties.

The Gavi also could be drinkable.

2 hours ago, nic2121 said:

I'm asking because I only drink organic - if not natural - wines. So sourcing them locally could totally work out well for me!

Are you being facetious?  Even in the US, organic wine is a niche market, and natural wine (whose definition varies and is up to much debate) is a micro-niche market.  I manage to find decent natural and organic wines in small local fancy neighborhood wine stores, but they are impossible or extremely hard to find in big box stores such as BevMo and supermarkets in San Francisco, let alone the rest of the US.  I doubt anybody would have much luck in smaller ports in far flung corners of the world.

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 2

Interesting - Encore is in southern Europe now and mainly European  wines and the Odyssey menu I posted, had 10 US wines so I can't make any guesses for Northern Europe in July  because even Seabourn wouldn't be able to afford to buy their wine in Norway 😂😂

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

even Seabourn wouldn't be able to afford to buy their wine in Norway 😂😂

Actually, strange as it probably may seem, fine wine is often quite inexpensive here in Norway and sometimes even below the market price you'd see elsewhere in Europe and the US. The wines on the complimentary list however, would probably be somewhat more expensive in Norway and the closer you get to plonk the "worse" it gets. Which is fine I guess, the importers and the "Wine Monopoly" get their margins from selling plonk to the masses and the rest of us can buy fine wine at a very good price point. Maybe not an effect of state regulation most would expect 🙂

To return to the topic I have to say I'm not impressed by the complimentary list at all, and also in the premium list there are some wines that I'd say are quite overpriced taking into account they are to be bought as an alternative to having a complimentary wine. As examples:
Louis Roederer Collection 242 - Seabourn: USD 150,- - Norway: USD 50.
J. Moreau & Fils Chablis - Seabourn: USD 65 - Norway: USD 21
The latter is of a quality I'd rather expect to find on the complimentary list. I'd actually expect a markup of 1-1,2x on the premium wines, not 3x, but maybe I'm too demanding. Many of the wines on the list are also quite young and possibly in a closed phase which even less justifies a classic "restaurant markup". 

• Like 1

@Sucellos Well it is over 25 years ago that I was last in Norway and plonk was all I thought I could afford - seems like I should have set my sights higher 😂 -I hope my comment did not offend.

May I ask where a savvy Norwegian fine wine drinker would purchase said fine wines from so that I can see if I can find some on our travels 😁

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sucellos said:

Actually, strange as it probably may seem, fine wine is often quite inexpensive here in Norway and sometimes even below the market price you'd see elsewhere in Europe and the US. The wines on the complimentary list however, would probably be somewhat more expensive in Norway and the closer you get to plonk the "worse" it gets. Which is fine I guess, the importers and the "Wine Monopoly" get their margins from selling plonk to the masses and the rest of us can buy fine wine at a very good price point. Maybe not an effect of state regulation most would expect 🙂

To return to the topic I have to say I'm not impressed by the complimentary list at all, and also in the premium list there are some wines that I'd say are quite overpriced taking into account they are to be bought as an alternative to having a complimentary wine. As examples:
Louis Roederer Collection 242 - Seabourn: USD 150,- - Norway: USD 50.
J. Moreau & Fils Chablis - Seabourn: USD 65 - Norway: USD 21
The latter is of a quality I'd rather expect to find on the complimentary list. I'd actually expect a markup of 1-1,2x on the premium wines, not 3x, but maybe I'm too demanding. Many of the wines on the list are also quite young and possibly in a closed phase which even less justifies a classic "restaurant markup". 

I agree and I hope their staff reads us! 

If they work with som' they should offer multiple wines from smaller wineries, not necessarily more expensive than big names but more interesting and yummier. I could help if they reach out to me!