Pre Embark Cvd test. Which worked for you in last 45 days FL port departures

Fogfog

Am reading different things and it likely varies from cruise line to cruise line

Are yall having luck with the at home tests that talk to your cell phone etc?

Or going to a CVS etc?

Am concerned as embarkation is on a Sunday and the Walgreens (for example) says 3-5 biz days turn around. So that means they can't get it to me within the 72 hr window.

Am I considering all of this correctly?

TYIA

Yes because you would test on Friday for a Sunday departure.
That’s what we did last month but we used the Abbott Binax Now Covid ag card tele monitored for our 11/14th Divina cruise out of Port Canaveral.

We spent 1 week in Florida before our cruise and I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to get an appt for a test for travel.
For the heck of it, while in FL I was searching for a rapid antigen test and there wasn’t an appt available within a 100 mile radius of where we were. 
The only way I could get an appt was to check off that we were having symptoms. 

The last thing we needed was to show up at the port with test results that may have noted we had Covid symptoms when we didn’t. 

So we will be using the at home monitored tests again for our Jan Seashore cruise.
It was very easy and we did it on our iPhones. I liked having control over when we could test and when we would have the results. (It’s a 15 min turnaround to get results)

• Like 3

I sailed on Divina in October. I had a rapid antigen done at CVS on the Friday before departure(departed on Sunday). Had the results emailed to me within an hour. CVS opens their appointments 2 weeks prior to the date you're looking to book. Log on 1st thing in the morning to make sure you can get an appointment. 😊

Friends arrived here in Fort Lauderdale last Friday for a Sunday cruise.  They had made appointments for rapid antigen tests at a Walgreens near my home in Pompano Beach one week in advance when Walgreens opened their appointments.  The drive thru testing was free and fast.  Emailed results were received within an hour.

Edited by capriccio

12 hours ago, capriccio said:

Friends arrived here in Fort Lauderdale last Friday for a Sunday cruise.  They had made appointments for rapid antigen tests at a Walgreens near my home in Pompano Beach one week in advance when Walgreens opened their appointments.  The drive thru testing was free and fast.  Emailed results were received within an hour.

The Rapid Test at Walgreens is NAAT, not Antigen.  It is the Abbot ID Now.

2 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

The Rapid Test at Walgreens is NAAT, not Antigen.  It is the Abbot ID Now.

Then is Walgreens misrepresenting the test?  I do know our friends had no problem boarding their HAL cruise on Sunday.

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on site, with results available the same day. These tests imply current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up test with a diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

Then is Walgreens misrepresenting the test?  I do know our friends had no problem boarding their HAL cruise on Sunday.

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on site, with results available the same day. These tests imply current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up test with a diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.

I just looked at the other tests offered by Walgreens - one a PCR and the other the ID NOW but that says results in 24 hours.  Our friends got their results in less than 1 hour (they were told it might take up to 2 hours).

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

I'm sorry.  According to their website, Walgreens in Florida do not have the antigen tests.  I'm not sure how your friends got them in Florida.  The closest ones are in Virginia.  I'll find out tomorrow how long it takes to get the NAAT results.  It's my understanding that they say 24 hours, but results have been coming within the hour.

Edited by Native Floridian 26

16 hours ago, cherylnj said:

I sailed on Divina in October. I had a rapid antigen done at CVS on the Friday before departure(departed on Sunday). Had the results emailed to me within an hour. CVS opens their appointments 2 weeks prior to the date you're looking to book. Log on 1st thing in the morning to make sure you can get an appointment. 😊

Where are you located in Florida?  We're in the Sarasota area and the closest antigen tests are in St. Pete.

22 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

I'm sorry.  According to their website, Walgreens in Florida do not have the antigen tests.  I'm not sure how your friends got them in Florida.  The closest ones are in Virginia.  I'll find out tomorrow how long it takes to get the NAAT results.  It's my understanding that they say 24 hours, but results have been coming within the hour.

That's correct in FLL/MIA area, there is only ID NAAT or PCR test available right now for Walgreens. I take the ID NAAT as it usually comes back in about 6hr. Note, you can get antigen test at CVS (though I wasn't able to find any for the days I need it).

Edited by GateGuardian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Maybe HAL’s testing requirements are different from MSC’s.  

Our Walgreens told me 3-5 biz days for results... which is why I am concerned. She said it got sent out to a lab.... I wonder if the tech was right/wrong and if I need to talk to the pharmacist.

We have time as its for sailing early 2022...just want to know what we need and if some places are not responsive etc. 

15 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Our Walgreens told me 3-5 biz days for results... which is why I am concerned. She said it got sent out to a lab.... I wonder if the tech was right/wrong and if I need to talk to the pharmacist.

We have time as its for sailing early 2022...just want to know what we need and if some places are not responsive etc. 

Did you not have choice of Rapid Diagnostic (ID NOW)? That one says 24 hours, but it actually only takes 15 minutes and results normally within an hour.

22 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Are you vaccinated in US?  Did you not have choice of Rapid Diagnostic (ID NOW) at Walgreens?   It's the 2nd choice of 3 types - Red Dot. That one says 24 hours, but it actually only takes 15 minutes to process and results emailed normally within an hour.

wg covid.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Are you vaccinated in US?  Did you not have choice of Rapid Diagnostic (ID NOW) at Walgreens?   It's the 2nd choice of 3 types - Red Dot. That one says 24 hours, but it actually only takes 15 minutes to process and results normally within an hour.

We are US and I had just asked at Walgreens pharmacy what we need to do...Got a mushy answer of "it varies by the cruise line". 

I'm going to check the website etc. TY for this

1 minute ago, Fogfog said:

We are US and I had just asked at Walgreens pharmacy what we need to do...Got a mushy answer of "it varies by the cruise line". 

I'm going to check the website etc. TY for this

I edited my post to add screen shot of the fast test.  It's an NAAT test, so perfectly acceptable for MSC. Was the easiest process and so fast!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

I edited my post to add screen shot of the fast test.  It's an NAAT test, so perfectly acceptable for MSC. Was the easiest process and so fast!

TY  @Native Floridian 26

BTW- so is this insurance covered? 

I do hear for our B2Bs that MSC will test us on the ship to maintain compliance etc

When/after your sailing - please let us know how check in and all went.

We are looking fwd to being back in YC

Edited by Fogfog

8 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

TY  @Native Floridian 26

I do hear for our B2Bs that MSC will test us on the ship to maintain compliance etc

They didn't even ask for insurance and is free.  Their website says you will not be billed by Walgreens or any lab.  I know my insurance says there must be a medical necessity for coverage, so as long as they don't know about the test, I'll be okay.  WG doesn't know it's for travel.

I'll report back after checkin on Saturday.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

TY  @Native Floridian 26

Before retiring in September I had to get tested for work every week.
Once in a while the nurse at work couldn’t do it so I went to Walgreens or CVS. 
I’ve had at least 15 tests between the two places and have never seen a bill or a charge on my insurance.

They asked me if I had insurance but looking at my on line portal I can see they never sent a claim. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, Native Floridian 26 said:

We had the same test for our Princess cruise last month. For an hour we panicked because we couldn't find the letters NAAT in the Princess paperwork, but it was the correct test. As others said, we had made an online appointment with our local Walgreens, drove into the drive through, pharmacist told us what to do. Results came an hour later by -mail. We printed t out. and off we went afterwards. Test was free for us.

My question: Our e-ticket for the MSC cruise in January says that they test at embarkation. Will they test again? Will they only test people who come without a test or with the wrong test?

3 hours ago, Floridiana said:

My question: Our e-ticket for the MSC cruise in January says that they test at embarkation. Will they test again? Will they only test people who come without a test or with the wrong test?

When MSC began sailing out of FL they were testing all passengers at the pier.
Then they started requiring passengers get tested on their own (2 or 3 days before embarking) they never changed the wording on their paperwork. 

The only people who are tested at the pier are unvaccinated children.
Everyone else has to show up with a negative test. 

Edited by styles27
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, styles27 said:

When MSC began sailing out of FL they were testing all passengers at the pier.
Then they started requiring passengers get tested on their own (2 or 3 days before embarking) they never changed the wording on their paperwork. 

The only people who are tested at the pier are unvaccinated children.
Everyone else has to show up with a negative test. 

What you state is true for adult US citizens and permanent US Residents (‘Green Card Holders’).  Most non-US residents, adults and children, will be tested again at the pier.  Current as of Dec 12, subject to change as always.  The tests for non-US residents and children are free.