Splendor Christmas TV special

flossie009

2 hours ago, Mayflower1 said:

We wonder how a Cruise Line can allow a Programme to be shown without Corporate Vetting because the emphasis on the OTT Cruise Director and his Antics certainly did not, in our opinion, demonstrate a Quality, let alone Luxury Product.

I'm not yet able to see the program in the US. Although, someone could devise a workaround.

As for your thoughts, I've worked in TV news all of my life. Once a company like Regent allows a documentary crew on its ship, it has no control over what they choose to air. Shooting, writing and editing is the job of the production company.

They will naturally focus on characters. Someone told me a long time ago that crazy people are great on TV. He was right. John has the personality to carry a TV program. There probably weren't any better characters on the cruise.

It's pretty common for a story to turn out differently than the people involved with it would expect. I've warned many people over the years that the story we end up doing will not be the story that you envision in your head. It will be the story that we decide to do. It's not something that's good or bad. It's just the way the system works.

In this case, any publicity is good publicity. Publicity is what Regent wanted. John Barron helped them deliver it. Regent is not going to lose loyal clients over the documentary. It does stand to gain customers who see a beautiful ship and a funny cruise director and want to give it a try. 

The documentary will soon be sold to other outlets and air around the world. No one will see a program on Silversea's holiday celebration, or Seabourn's or Crystal's. They will see Regent's most expensive Christmas cruise. That's the whole idea.

Tom.

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

What happened to the dress codes on board? Is sportswear and casual allowed during the day?  

Absolutely!  That's the way it's been for at least 11 years.  Before 6 pm shorts, T-shirts, jeans, and sneakers are completely acceptable.  Only after 6PM does attire "shift" to more "elegant casual"....which is STILL NOT sports coats and ties, but collared shirts and dress slacks.  And I would guess that those who do not like that regime, have already found other cruise lines more acceptable to their taste long ago.

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

Absolutely!  That's the way it's been for at least 11 years.  Before 6 pm shorts, T-shirts, jeans, and sneakers are completely acceptable.  Only after 6PM does attire "shift" to more "elegant casual"....which is STILL NOT sports coats and ties, but collared shirts and dress slacks.  And I would guess that those who do not like that regime, have already found other cruise lines more acceptable to their taste long ago.

Allowed and what us considered appropriate for 5* surroundings are not necessarily the same. What happens in Vegas should stay in Vegas. 

Sportswear outside the gym or pool areas is not what I expect from a high class line, smart casual at all times is, trending towards the smart end of that in the evenings, and the casual end during the day. 

Have seen and heard enough to know that Regent is not for us. Best wishes to all those who are cruising, with whichever line you prefer

Thank you for posting the video. I, for one, really enjoyed it. It has been far too long of a “dry spell” of not cruising for my wife and I. With our upcoming Feb 3 cruise aboard the Splendor, this brought it that much closer to reality for me.

The excitement of the “behind the scenes” decorating for Christmas and all the logistics to pull it off, to the amazing food items, the thought that goes into everything Regent does is why it is our favorite cruise line (not the least of which is the beauty of each successive ship we have sailed on, and the small ship size!). 

I thought John did a wonderful job of showcasing the ship and it was nice to see his “real side” of how it is difficult to be away from your loved ones as depicted. 

I can’t wait to get on board and enjoy this beautiful ship and all the great staff. 

On 12/27/2021 at 3:26 PM, KBs mum said:

Allowed and what us considered appropriate for 5* surroundings are not necessarily the same. What happens in Vegas should stay in Vegas. 

Sportswear outside the gym or pool areas is not what I expect from a high class line, smart casual at all times is, trending towards the smart end of that in the evenings, and the casual end during the day. 

Have seen and heard enough to know that Regent is not for us. Best wishes to all those who are cruising, with whichever line you prefer

And that's why we have choices, thankfully.  I hope you find a line that meets your expectations - happy sailing.

• Like 4

On 12/27/2021 at 5:21 PM, Stickman1990 said:

Someone has kindly posted a recording of the programme 

Thanks for posting this - I'm about halfway through it and although I'm enjoying seeing the ship and crew I sure wish they'd quit with the constant chatter about costs and prices.  I know that's the gist of the show, but c'mon...

Anyhow, I'm still gonna watch the rest of it when I have a few minutes.   🙂

On 12/13/2021 at 5:54 AM, pingpong1 said:

I.m sincerely hoping we won't have any production film crews to have to deal with or "step around" on our Mariner 12/18 Holiday cruise.  Probably not....since Mariner isn't the "newest toy in the fleet". I think all of us normal folks want to spontaneously participate in and enjoy our own "REAL Holiday Celebration", without being used as incidental/unpaid "props" for a Regent publicity opportunity.  Perhaps it's just me, but I think this is a bit "cheesy" on the part of Regent Corporate, actually.

We were on Splendor with the production crew from Barcelona to Miami and I dont think they bothered us once.  A few were around at meals, eating like other passengers.

Thanks for the photos! Makes me sad we disembarked.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Thanks for posting this - I'm about halfway through it and although I'm enjoying seeing the ship and crew I sure wish they'd quit with the constant chatter about costs and prices.  I know that's the gist of the show, but c'mon...

Anyhow, I'm still gonna watch the rest of it when I have a few minutes.   🙂

LOL...that is exactly what my DW and I said. If they created a drinking game based on how many times they said expensive/opulent/extravagant....we would all be stumbling around!

2 hours ago, silly gigolo said:

The Regent Suite £150,000 bed "made from horse tail hair to ensure the softest night's sleep."

Who knew?

Sadly, I knew.  They said the same thing about the Regent Suite mattress on the Explorer video.  I actually watched a video of them loading it onto the ship.  I'm pathetic, I know.

1 hour ago, darn88 said:

LOL...that is exactly what my DW and I said. If they created a drinking game based on how many times they said expensive/opulent/extravagant....we would all be stumbling around!

Stumbling around...sounds like my typical Regent afternoon.   🤣

4 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

And that's why we have choices, thankfully.  I hope you find a line that meets your expectations - happy sailing.

As you say, there's a line out there for everyone, there are severe lines that do meet our requirements. We watched the programmes thinking that Regent would be another, and give us the option of more itineraries. 

6 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

As you say, there's a line out there for everyone, there are severe lines that do meet our requirements. We watched the programmes thinking that Regent would be another, and give us the option of more itineraries. 

It probably would be another option - be aware that the video didn't really capture the Regent 'feel', IMO.  But if you didn't like the dress and decor, well, that was pretty accurate.  

Just out of curiosity, may I ask which other lines you prefer?  I'd like to see what other options are out there as well.  Thanks!

• Like 3