Princess cruise Feb 2022 - Cancel for any reason with Princess' Vacation Protection insurance - FCC good how long?

PaperSniper4

I booked a Princess cruise about a year ago. I paid the deposit at that time, and made the final payment a few weeks ago. In between time I bought Princess' Vacation Protection insurance; bought it early to start the "60 day pre-existing" clause.  One major reason I bought Princess' insurance for this trip was the CFAR reason provision, which I snipped and included here.

My question is has anyone used that provision to cancel "on their own", such as they just changed their mind after paying the final payment? And how long is that Princess future cruise credit valid? I thought I read somewhere it was only until April 2022 to book something. I like to be prepared.😳

Doug

PS - Also posted in Insurance forum..................

Capture.JPG

A friend and I canceled a September cruise after final payment (due to our unwillingness to cruise during the Delta surge) using the Princess Vacation Protection plan, and the credit we were issued is good for a sail date through 12/31/2022.   

For your information, here is the way the credit can be used:

Cruise Credits can be applied to your next Princess booking where applicable. Payment type credits can be used for cruise and cruisetour fare, packages, taxes fees & port expenses, Princess Vacation Protection and Flexible airfare. Discount type credits are applied as a discount off the cruise fare.

This means when you rebook, you will have to pay a new deposit, and then use the credit at the time of final payment on your replacement cruise.  

• Thanks 1

PaperSniper4— did the insurance company send you anything when you booked it? A reference number?

or was it just on your Princess receipt that you paid for insurance?

my FCC was extended to December 31/22 the last time Princess cancelled the cruise I had applied it to. 

my next cruise is March 2022 & if Princess cancels that I would expect another extension into 2023 

4 hours ago, dog said:

PaperSniper4— did the insurance company send you anything when you booked it? A reference number?

or was it just on your Princess receipt that you paid for insurance?

my FCC was extended to December 31/22 the last time Princess cancelled the cruise I had applied it to. 

my next cruise is March 2022 & if Princess cancels that I would expect another extension into 2023 

I have a record of having paid for the insurance on my TA's invoice (not Princess vacation planner).  I have the printout for my state for the PVP I bought in June 2021 without any sort of reference number. I downloaded that from Princess.com. 

Our trip has not been canceled, I am just trying to learn how it all works in case we do cancel on our own. I am less concerned if Princess cancels due to COVID or whatever. I am also researching the "penalty dates" for canceling a Princess cruise prior to sailing. Those dates will obviously affect how much and when I'd be compensated.

This week my TA told me that should I cancel on my own "just because", in order to use that FCC I must book something NLT 15 April 2022, and it must sail by 31 Dec 2022. I suspect those dates would be modified if the cruise line canceled the cruise.

Wow, we are all learning a lot about insurance with the virus, aren't we?😷

Doug

• Thanks 1

I asked my TA these questions an hour or so ago; I just heard from my TA:

1. What portion from my invoice will be refunded as cash, and what portion is refunded as a future cruise credit <aka FCC>? If you don't know, who do I contact for the answer?   $239.92 per person FCC - $2955.34 Refunded back to card used
  2. Until when is any FCC valid?  What's the deadline, if there is one, for scheduling a cruise for which I can use the FCC?  2 Years – DEC 2023
  3. Do I need to contact AON, the Princess Vacation Protection insurance company?  NO -
  4. Were the Princess EZ-Fare flights cancelled along with the cruise itself? Will that result in an FCC or money refunded to my CC? - Refunded part of the refund

I ended up loosing my non-refundable deposit, and of course the Princess insurance charge. So around $500. Still, I will no longer have to worry about getting quarantined or stuck somewhere or even getting sick! <g> Having two years to use that $239.92 FCC is very good news.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I asked my TA these questions an hour or so ago; I just heard from my TA:

1. What portion from my invoice will be refunded as cash, and what portion is refunded as a future cruise credit <aka FCC>? If you don't know, who do I contact for the answer?   $239.92 per person FCC - $2955.34 Refunded back to card used
  2. Until when is any FCC valid?  What's the deadline, if there is one, for scheduling a cruise for which I can use the FCC?  2 Years – DEC 2023
  3. Do I need to contact AON, the Princess Vacation Protection insurance company?  NO -
  4. Were the Princess EZ-Fare flights cancelled along with the cruise itself? Will that result in an FCC or money refunded to my CC? - Refunded part of the refund

I ended up loosing my non-refundable deposit, and of course the Princess insurance charge. So around $500. Still, I will no longer have to worry about getting quarantined or stuck somewhere or even getting sick! <g> Having two years to use that $239.92 FCC is very good news.

Doug

That’s good Doug!  I did not know about

the Dec 2023 expiration?  I thought it wss book and sail by Dec 2022.

So, I’m going to watch for my FCC’s and see what it says on my account.

I didn’t think they had non refundable 

deposits?  Are you in the US?

3 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s good Doug!  I did not know about

the Dec 2023 expiration?  I thought it wss book and sail by Dec 2022.

So, I’m going to watch for my FCC’s and see what it says on my account.

I didn’t think they had non refundable 

deposits?  Are you in the US?

Yes, I'm in the US. Our deposit was not refundable when we booked the cruise.

I entered a couple of typos in the post above. The $239.92 per person FCC has no typo,  but the the amount going to my credit card was incorrect, it's actually more, and is equal to the total amount I paid for the cruise less that FCC amount. Which is how it ought to have been.....except, I thought I'd NOT get refunded the cost of the insurance either as an FCC or to my credit card.....have to wait and see on that once the dust settles.

TA confirmed the "use by" 2023 FCC date, but you and I will be watching that like a hawk I know! Sure would be nice to have a decent amount for a potential cruise. TA said it might take 30 days or so for the refund to show on my CC. No idea how long on the FCC showing up. Please let me know about how long it took for yours to show, and if there is some mention of the "use by" date.

Doug

1 minute ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Yes, I'm in the US. Our deposit was not refundable when we booked the cruise.

I entered a couple of typos in the post above. The $239.92 per person FCC has no typo,  but the the amount going to my credit card was incorrect, it's actually more, and is equal to the total amount I paid for the cruise less that FCC amount. Which is how it ought to have been.....except, I thought I'd NOT get refunded the cost of the insurance either as an FCC or to my credit card.....have to wait and see on that once the dust settles.

TA confirmed the "use by" 2023 FCC date, but you and I will be watching that like a hawk I know! Sure would be nice to have a decent amount for a potential cruise. TA said it might take 30 days or so for the refund to show on my CC. No idea how long on the FCC showing up. Please let me know about how long it took for yours to show, and if there is some mention of the "use by" date.

Doug

I will.  My CC showed the next day.  However, I just called PCL about another issue and they are closed.  Sounds like

hours during the holidays, Dec 24-Jan 2

are only 8am-1200 Noon PT.  I just missed them.  The Chat is supposed to be open…..

but I got a message they were temporarily closed.  Hmmm

If you are sailing and have an emergency enroute, they are answering that line.

So, this will slow down the refund process.

Crazy times indeed!

On 12/27/2021 at 2:32 PM, PacnGoNow said:

I will.  My CC showed the next day.  .......................

Crazy times indeed!

I'm hoping my credit card refund will show up soon. Nothing so far, but I don't really expect to see it before the end of next week. The last time I canceled a Princess cruise was this past summer, and the cc refund was there a few days later. However, with all the canceling going on right now I don't expect to see anything that soon this time.😉

Doug

I will post my experience as things happen regarding my cc refund, and info on my FCC - I was told it would be good until Dec 2023; sure hope to see that in writing at some point!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I'm hoping my credit card refund will show up soon. Nothing so far, but I don't really expect to see it before the end of next week. The last time I canceled a Princess cruise was this past summer, and the cc refund was there a few days later. However, with all the canceling going on right now I don't expect to see anything that soon this time.😉

Doug

I will post my experience as things happen regarding my cc refund, and info on my FCC - I was told it would be good until Dec 2023; sure hope to see that in writing at some point!

Also, not many employees are working there.  Off for the holidays.  
The FCC’s on their website day it takes up to 60 days. 
Please post…many people may appreciate it also.

Regards, Tonna 

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Also, not many employees are working there.  Off for the holidays.  
The FCC’s on their website day it takes up to 60 days. 
Please post…many people may appreciate it also.

Regards, Tonna 

Will do, Tonna.

Happy New Year!

Doug

Just checked my credit card; the refund from the cruise cancellation is there now. Actually it shows with a date two days ago, but I did not see it until today; perhaps I missed it or it showed up after I checked yesterday. In any event, I am tickled pink to to have nice credit on my cc record!  Yippee!

How we'll see how long it takes to see the FCC at Princess.com. My guess is it will be at least 1-2 months. I will probably forget to post here when it arrives.....but I will try not to forget! 😊

Doug

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Just checked my credit card; the refund from the cruise cancellation is there now. Actually it shows with a date two days ago, but I did not see it until today; perhaps I missed it or it showed up after I checked yesterday. In any event, I am tickled pink to to have nice credit on my cc record!  Yippee!

How we'll see how long it takes to see the FCC at Princess.com. My guess is it will be at least 1-2 months. I will probably forget to post here when it arrives.....but I will try not to forget! 😊

Doug

Yeah!!!  Yes, don’t forget. I will try to remember too.  They say about 60 days on the website.

Take care and Happy New Year!🎊🎈🎆 

10 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Will do, Tonna.

Happy New Year!

Doug

My FCC was posted tonight, not sure if thats it.  I’ll have to sit down tmrw and figure it out.  Mine says must book and sail by Dec 31, 2022.  
I used the book with confidence plan.

So confusing how they calculate this.

Keep me posted.

6 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

My FCC was posted tonight, not sure if thats it.  I’ll have to sit down tmrw and figure it out.  Mine says must book and sail by Dec 31, 2022.  
I used the book with confidence plan.

So confusing how they calculate this.

Keep me posted.

Do you have to be Covid positive  to cancel using the Book with Confidence plan or just say due to current Covid Omicron you wish to cancel? 

Edited by Therese S.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Therese S. said:

Do you have to be Covid positive  to cancel using the Book with Confidence plan or just say due to current Covid Omicron you wish to cancel? 

No, but you do have to be 30 days or more before your cruise to use it.

1 minute ago, sharilee06 said:

@Therese S.   My question as well.  Carnival waived cancellation till mid January, does that include Princess?

I have not seen any direction or changes in their policy.  They should post it at the top of their website.  I’m watching

for UPDATES on the top.  Last update was Dec 23.

Or, they could email customers….

Anything…. Would be great

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

I have not seen any direction or changes in their policy.  They should post it at the top of their website.  I’m watching

for UPDATES on the top.  Last update was Dec 23.

Or, they could email customers….

Anything…. Would be great

Just checked…only shows hours during

holidays.  Last update sailings from US

was Dec 22….(corrected)

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

No, but you do have to be 30 days or more before your cruise to use it.

Thank you.  Do you know if you cancel before 30 days using book with confidence, are you refunded the cost of your Princess insurance?  

1 hour ago, Therese S. said:

Thank you.  Do you know if you cancel before 30 days using book with confidence, are you refunded the cost of your Princess insurance?  

I used the book with confidence and I have PVP insurance.  My TA said I would lose the insurance that I paid.

I’m in the middle of this and it’s confusing how they calculate it.  Because, it depends at what point you cancel…even though it is more than 30 days before.  If you look at the cancellation policy on Princess.

I was at the 50% cancellation fee date, so 

that means half of my refund would be in FCC’s and the other half back on my credit card.  However, some of my cruises were paid using FCC’s from our cruise during the pause in 2020.

And the FCC says must use by Dec 31, 22.

You should talk to your or TA or PCL if you booked through them and see if you would be better off to do this or use your insurance for CFAR?  I rebooked and have a lot of cruises in 2022, so for me, it will be okay.

Sorry, this is not an easy explanation.

Hope it helps a little.

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I used the book with confidence and I have PVP insurance.  My TA said I would lose the insurance that I paid.

I’m in the middle of this and it’s confusing how they calculate it.  Because, it depends at what point you cancel…even though it is more than 30 days before.  If you look at the cancellation policy on Princess.

I was at the 50% cancellation fee date, so 

that means half of my refund would be in FCC’s and the other half back on my credit card.  However, some of my cruises were paid using FCC’s from our cruise during the pause in 2020.

And the FCC says must use by Dec 31, 22.

You should talk to your or TA or PCL if you booked through them and see if you would be better off to do this or use your insurance for CFAR?  I rebooked and have a lot of cruises in 2022, so for me, it will be okay.

Sorry, this is not an easy explanation.

Hope it helps a little.

Currently there are three Princess protections in play and it is best to read the details of each by visiting the Princess website or speak with your travel advisor.  Here’s a very general breakdown of the three cancellation options: 

Book with Confidence - covers cancellations up to 30 days prior to sailing.

Covid 19 Protection Plan- covers cancellations within 30 days of sailing when cancellations are due to testing positive or suspecting you may have Covid.

Princess Vacation Protection-  This coverage purchased through Princess allows you to cancel for any reason and receive a FCC for 75% of cancellation fees for standard insurance and 100% of cancellation fees for Platinum. 

hope this is helpful.  

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Currently there are three Princess protections in play and it is best to read the details of each by visiting the Princess website or speak with your travel advisor.  Here’s a very general breakdown of the three cancellation options: 

Book with Confidence - covers cancellations up to 30 days prior to sailing.

Covid 19 Protection Plan- covers cancellations within 30 days of sailing when cancellations are due to testing positive or suspecting you may have Covid.

Princess Vacation Protection-  This coverage purchased through Princess allows you to cancel for any reason and receive a FCC for 75% of cancellation fees for standard insurance and 100% of cancellation fees for Platinum. 

hope this is helpful.  

I like her explanation of the difference in plans.  Very helpful on your posting forum, I think.

However, I chose the book with confidence, because I didn’t want all FCC’s.

Also depends if you get 75% or 100%
of FCC refunded.  Etc

1 hour ago, Therese S. said:

Theresa are you cruising in Jan?

Theres an update in pcl phoneline, if you’re cruising in Jan, you can rebook

no cancellation fees.  Just fyi