Princess cruise Feb 2022 - Cancel for any reason with Princess' Vacation Protection insurance - FCC good how long?

PaperSniper4

1 hour ago, crimsonbird said:

We cancelled just outside the 30 day requirement using cruise with confidence vs our Princess insurance.  Reason being...cruise with confidence refunds the insurance...while the other actually utilizes the insurance so no refund.

Did you get the refund on ins?  I was told it was non refundable by my TA.  Hmmm

14 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Did you get the refund on ins?  I was told it was non refundable by my TA.  Hmmm

No paperwork yet but if its cruise with confidence...the insurance was not used.  I was told by Princess that it is refundable..but not if you go thru the insurance for a refund or for fcc.  So we opted to not wait and canceled outside the 30 days.   Sounds logical

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I also cancelled using the cruise with confidence plan, cancelled my Feb 10 cruise on Jan 5, before the 30 days were up.  My TA also said the Princess Insurance was non refundable.  I mentioned to her that I contacted LIVE chat 3 different  times to confirm that it was refundable.  Was told the insurance is part of the cancellation fees which will be turned into Future Cruise Credits.  My cancellation notice shows for each of us 1/2 of the cruise fare and the cost of insurance as cancel fees, now I need to stay on top of it and make sure these fees do indeed turn into FCC.  Now to deal with the refundable part back to my Princess Gift Cards.  I hope to never have to deal with a cancellation again.  

• Thanks 1

For those that paid with prior FCCs, how was the new FCC plus CC total calculated? In our case we had cancelled cruise and chose a Replacement cruise from Princess list. New Booking confirmation from TA show the then current cost of the Replacement cruise rather than the cost of the original cancelled cruise.

This did not bother me since it was the same itinerary and OBC perk from original cruise was transferred to new cruise. Now if we cancel the replacement cruise, I wonder how Princess calculates FCC. I would hope FCC would be for what I paid for original cruise.

On 12/19/2021 at 5:27 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

I booked a Princess cruise about a year ago. I paid the deposit at that time, and made the final payment a few weeks ago. In between time I bought Princess' Vacation Protection insurance; bought it early to start the "60 day pre-existing" clause.  One major reason I bought Princess' insurance for this trip was the CFAR reason provision, which I snipped and included here.

My question is has anyone used that provision to cancel "on their own", such as they just changed their mind after paying the final payment? And how long is that Princess future cruise credit valid? I thought I read somewhere it was only until April 2022 to book something. I like to be prepared.😳

Doug

PS - Also posted in Insurance forum..................

Capture.JPG

I just canceled a cruise we were supposed to be on January 31st.  I was fearful that my 91 year old Dad may catch the virus, otherwise my husband and I would have gone.  We got a credit which has to be used by the end of the year.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:29 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Doug,

Keep checking your account on PCL website.  When you see the Future cruise credits posted, click on details and it shows the sail by date.

In some cases, if you use insurance to cancel the cruise, it can be used up to a year later.  The book with confidence and the January rebooking option from Princess, if you cancel shows in my account as sail by Dec 31, 2022.

I have been thinking the same thing about the cancel with insurance vs cancel with the CWC option. But even then that would only give me until Feb 2023, if the expiration was 1 calendar year from the canceled cruise date. We'll see.

Thanks very much for the instruction on how to check my Princess account for the FCC. I will begin doing that in another week or so. I have bookmarked your post so I can reply once I see something; could be many months from now!😉

Hopefully folks will continue to update this thread with how and when they canceled, what was refunded, and what went to their credit card and what went toward a FCC with an expiration date.

In my case (I think I mentioned above, but here it is again): I had paid a non-refundable deposit of $200 about a year prior for our Feb 2022 cruise plus EZ-Fare <airlines>, and bought PVP Platinum insurance in June. I canceled my 28Feb2022 cruise 62 days prior. I was refunded all but about $500 to my credit card within a few days. I was told by my TA that that amount would be issued within a few months as a Princess FCC to be used by the end of 2023.  That amount was the deposit I made plus the insurance I bought. As of today, which is only about 2 weeks after canceling, I do not see that Princess FCC on my record. I don't expect to see it for a couple of months, but I will continue to check every week or so. Once that FCC appears, I will share the amount and the expiration date.

Until we start seeing the FCC's showing on our records, there are so many unknowns. Nobody wants to cancel a cruise.....I hope we're all able to cruise again sometime.

Doug

Doug

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I have been thinking the same thing about the cancel with insurance vs cancel with the CWC option. But even then that would only give me until Feb 2023, if the expiration was 1 calendar year from the canceled cruise date. We'll see.

Thanks very much for the instruction on how to check my Princess account for the FCC. I will begin doing that in another week or so. I have bookmarked your post so I can reply once I see something; could be many months from now!😉

Hopefully folks will continue to update this thread with how and when they canceled, what was refunded, and what went to their credit card and what went toward a FCC with an expiration date.

In my case (I think I mentioned above, but here it is again): I had paid a non-refundable deposit of $200 about a year prior for our Feb 2022 cruise plus EZ-Fare <airlines>, and bought PVP Platinum insurance in June. I canceled my 28Feb2022 cruise 62 days prior. I was refunded all but about $500 to my credit card within a few days. I was told by my TA that that amount would be issued within a few months as a Princess FCC to be used by the end of 2023.  That amount was the deposit I made plus the insurance I bought. As of today, which is only about 2 weeks after canceling, I do not see that Princess FCC on my record. I don't expect to see it for a couple of months, but I will continue to check every week or so. Once that FCC appears, I will share the amount and the expiration date.

Until we start seeing the FCC's showing on our records, there are so many unknowns. Nobody wants to cancel a cruise.....I hope we're all able to cruise again sometime.

Doug

Doug

So even with your non-refundable deposit, you don’t expect to be out any money at the end of the day?  You’ll get everything you’ve paid back, either as a refund or FCC?

20 minutes ago, Scottyren said:

So even with your non-refundable deposit, you don’t expect to be out any money at the end of the day?  You’ll get everything you’ve paid back, either as a refund or FCC?

That's what I was told by my TA, but it is not what I expect. I'll be happy to get anything back with a FCC. I got back around 90% of the cruise with a refund to my credit card. That was my biggest concern since I figured we might not be able to use an FCC, especially if it expired the end of 2022. When I paid the deposit I knowingly paid a non-refundable rate.....I figured I'd not see that amount unless Princess canceled the cruise. With the insurance, no, I don't expect it to be refunded since I used it to cancel. But stranger things have happened: The time I canceled a prior Dec 2021 Princess cruise PRIOR to final payment (around last September 2021) I was refunded everything, including the insurance, but excluding the non-refundable deposit. No surprises there.  I hope my TA is correct and I will see a FCC for the insurance and the deposit for my canceled Feb 2022 cruise; even sweeter if the expiration for the FCC is December 2023. However, if I do not see such an FCC I still feel canceling was our smartest move....for our situation. Not everyone would agree, and that's fine, we all have different concerns. If I'm out the insurance and deposit no sweat. Let's face it, canceling for something like COVID is always a gamble. By the end of Feb 2022 "things" could be much better and I might regret canceling. I do regret a little canceling our December 2021 cruise, but that was canceled not for COVID, but for a different reason. I suspect that cruise went wonderful for most passengers.

Doug

• Like 1

I keep reading that some of the people who have cancelled cruises outside the 30 day limit have been given a FCC deadline of Dec 2023.  I have been on the Princess chat line with 2 different people and also talked with someone at Princess and they are adamant that the deadline to use the FCC is Dec 31 2022.  You must book and cruise by that date.  So if anyone knows how I can get that date moved to Dec 31 2023 let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, algriff said:

I keep reading that some of the people who have cancelled cruises outside the 30 day limit have been given a FCC deadline of Dec 2023.  I have been on the Princess chat line with 2 different people and also talked with someone at Princess and they are adamant that the deadline to use the FCC is Dec 31 2022.  You must book and cruise by that date.  So if anyone knows how I can get that date moved to Dec 31 2023 let me know.

All I want is for it to be moved 5 days until 1/5/23. I’m not even hopeful of that. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, algriff said:

So you have read that some people other than me have gotten an FCC with a deadline in 2023? Remember I cannot confirm the date I was told (above) of December 2023; I only have my  TA's word for that. Until I see it at Princess.com it's unconfirmed. My TA is generally very good at such things, but we're all human and right now TA;s are pretty busy....along with cruise lines.😷

Doug

We canceled our Feb 3 Grand Princess cruise out of LA last Monday, which was 31 days out.. We had the option of using our Platinum PVP insurance and getting the final payment money returned to our credit card, but we would lose the cost of the insurance. Our other option was to use Cruise with Confidence and have all funds returned as FCC’s, including the cost of the insurance. We chose the latter. I was told by my TA that it could take a few weeks for the new FCC to be reinstated, as well as the FCC we already had from 2020 that we had used towards this cruise.

Happy to say that all of the FCC’s were in my account by Friday, and the cost of the government taxes have been refunded to my credit card. We recouped everything we spent, no cancellation charges. Our FCC’s must be booked and sailed by December 31, 2022. At the same time, we elected to use our credit card to pay a deposit on a December 2022 cruise, because the FCC wasn’t in our account yet and there were just a few cabins remaining on that cruise and we wanted to snag two with our friends.

I was mistaken in thinking that PVP allowed us to cancel for any reason right up until a few days out, and Cruise with Confidence was 30 days out. In fact it was the opposite. We had decided to cancel now either way.

I read this weekend about people onboard the Majestic last week where everything started out great, but many started coughing, sneezing, clearing their throats, and feeling quite run down shortly after returning from their second port, no matter how careful they had been. Many tested positive and were put in quarantine cabins for the remainder of the cruise. That’s no fun. I am now confident we made the right decision to cancel, as sad as it was at the time. Hoping things will be much better in a few more months.

Margo

1 hour ago, MOLAcruiser said:

I was mistaken in thinking that PVP allowed us to cancel for any reason right up until a few days out, and Cruise with Confidence was 30 days out. In fact it was the opposite. We had decided to cancel now either way.

Thanks for your update - we just made the decision to cancel Majestic Feb 19. We booked Majestic April 2 and cabins were scarce on that booking.

I don't understand your comment about PVP - surely it is as you initially thought. Cruise with Confidence is 30+ days prior to sailing, and needs someone to be Covid Positive within 30 Days?

14 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Thanks for your update - we just made the decision to cancel Majestic Feb 19. We booked Majestic April 2 and cabins were scarce on that booking.

I don't understand your comment about PVP - surely it is as you initially thought. Cruise with Confidence is 30+ days prior to sailing, and needs someone to be Covid Positive within 30 Days?

When my TA contacted Princess last Monday, she was told that PVP is 30 days, but that Cruise with Confidence now allows for cancellations due to having covid or even just covid concerns due to the new variant, and CwC can now be used until 5 days in advance. I had specifically asked my TA to double check, and glad I did, because I had assumed for several weeks that I was safe to wait until mid-January to make my decision due to having purchased PVP.

When Omicron began to hit hard in late December, and we started to read about more and more cases on board, we elected to cancel just outside of 30 days to be sure we had both options and wouldn’t lose the cost of the insurance. Cruise with Confidence seems the more flexible option as things stand right now. Our friends didn’t purchase Princess protection and they ended up having no issues due to the recent changes to cancellations brought about by Omicron. They could have waited longer than we could, but also decided to cancel, as they originally thought they must cancel at 30 days and wanted to be sure.

Bottom line, based on my experience last week, if your cruise is coming up soon and you are hoping not to lose the cost of your PVP coverage, be sure to cancel before 30 days at this time. If your cruise isn’t for a few months yet and conditions re Omicron will hopefully improve, it is possible that the original rules/reasons will come back into play for the date you must cancel by for PVP and CwC. Keep asking questions in case the website hasn’t been updated. I certainly never noticed any updates.

53 minutes ago, MOLAcruiser said:

Got it thanks, we did decide to cancel and rebook using CwC. WE will let the FCC sort itself out. Another poster said they had paid for second cruise and Princess refunded to credit card when FCC was eventually applied. In the FAQ about CwC they say to call Cost Center if you have a cruise in mind before FCC appears.

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Got it thanks, we did decide to cancel and rebook using CwC. WE will let the FCC sort itself out. Another poster said they had paid for second cruise and Princess refunded to credit card when FCC was eventually applied. In the FAQ about CwC they say to call Cost Center if you have a cruise in mind before FCC appears.

Thanks for the info about calling the Cost Center if rebooking before the FCC has been refunded. I’ll remember that for next time, or I suppose I could pursue it now.

Sorry it I used the wrong terminology for Princess when I said CwC instead of Book with Confidence. Every cruise line calls it something different!

Also, we feel lucky to have had our FCC back in our account after 5 days, but neither of our other friends who canceled the same day have seen theirs yet. They have each received any money owed back on their credit cards already, for excursions and specialty dining. As mentioned, it could take a few weeks to receive FCC based on how busy they are at Princess doing cancellations these days.

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Cost center?  How do you get them?

On 1/4/2022 at 7:29 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Doug,

Keep checking your account on PCL website.  When you see the Future cruise credits posted, click on details and it shows the sail by date.

In some cases, if you use insurance to cancel the cruise, it can be used up to a year later.  The book with confidence and the January rebooking option from Princess, if you cancel shows in my account as sail by Dec 31, 2022.

I checked Princess.com today, and the FCC for 28Feb2022 cruise I canceled 12/24/2021 using our PVP insurance is now showing. I don't understand the dollar amount, and the expiration date is as I feared, 31Dec2022, not 2023 as my TA informed me earlier. Probably just a simply error on the TA's side, but not matter....except for the dollar amount, I am curious what that represents. My non-refundable deposit was $200 for our cabin, and our insurance cost was $279.84....not sure what the $239.92 is:

Princess FCC for CNLD Grand Princess Feb 2022 REDACTED.jpg

Edited by PaperSniper4

Check your credit card statement. I also wondered about the odd amount in my FCC account, then a few days later I happened to notice that I’d missed seeing a refund of the Government tax portion of my payment on my credit card. Now every single dollar I paid has been refunded either as FCC or as a credit card refund.

Has anyone even heard any rumors as to whether Princess may extend the Dec 31, 2022 deadline for using FCC's?  It would be nice if they moved it into 2023 since we always cruise in Feb or Mar so having it expire in Dec does us no good.

2 minutes ago, algriff said:

Has anyone even heard any rumors as to whether Princess may extend the Dec 31, 2022 deadline for using FCC's?  It would be nice if they moved it into 2023 since we always cruise in Feb or Mar so having it expire in Dec does us no good.

We are hoping they will let us move it 5 days to 1/5/23, but no joy yet.