Masks again in Spain

Bin man

We have a self catering break coming up in Feb to Lanzagrote which has to be paid for next week, if mask wearing on the beach and by the pool is still compulsory  it will be another one getting cancelled. We are not too adverse to risk but that is a step too far. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have a self catering break coming up in Feb to Lanzagrote which has to be paid for next week, if mask wearing on the beach and by the pool is still compulsory  it will be another one getting cancelled. We are not too adverse to risk but that is a step too far. 

Do you have to wear a mask by the pool and on the beach now?  Going back a few months it was necessary to wear a mask when out in a public street, but they were not needed if sitting on a sunbed by a hotel pool and presumably on a beach.  Not sure about walking along a beach.  I have no idea where the Spanish requirements are published and I cannot understand Spanish, so not worth me searching really.

We have been to mainland Spain on cruises this autumn and just returned from the Canaries last Tuesday and it has always been law that you should wear  a mask outdoors if you cannot social distance at least 1.5 metres from others.  Within many port areas in towns/cities the Spanish just seemed to keep them on all the time, even if going along a quiet backstreet, but easier then putting it on and taking it off regularly I suppose, which must admit we did.  Did not seem to be a big issue to us, but obviously a personal choice.  Bar/restaurant seats indoors were all spaced out as it was in the summer here.  Also we were asked for proof of vaccine in the Parador in La Gomera, where we went for lunch (as well as in a cafe and museum in France), which was no problem as they just scanned to QR code on the printouts we had with us.

57 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just found this thread from Trip Advisor, which may be of interest to you:-

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187477-i240-k13765568-o10-Masks-Lanzarote_Canary_Islands.html

We had a Lanzarote holiday cancelled for late last summer, so I have kept an eye on those forums since we may just rebook.  What would bother me though is wearing a mask for the whole duration of the flight, which I feel is quite off putting, along with the extra risk of picking up the bug on a plane, hence being quarantines overseas.  

Edited by tring

6 minutes ago, tring said:

Do you have to wear a mask by the pool and on the beach now?  Going back a few months it was necessary to wear a mask when out in a public street, but they were not needed if sitting on a sunbed by a hotel pool and presumably on a beach.  Not sure about walking along a beach.  I have no idea where the Spanish requirements are published and I cannot understand Spanish, so not worth me searching really.

We have been to mainland Spain on cruises this autumn and just returned from the Canaries last Tuesday and it has always been law that you should wear  a mask outdoors if you cannot social distance at least 1.5 metres from others.  Within many port areas in towns/cities the Spanish just seemed to keep them on all the time, even if going along a quiet backstreet, but easier then putting it on and taking it off regularly I suppose, which must admit we did.  Did not seem to be a big issue to us, but obviously a personal choice.  Bar/restaurant seats indoors were all spaced out as it was in the summer here.  Also we were asked for proof of vaccine in the Parador in La Gomera, where we went for lunch (as well as in a cafe and museum in France), which was no problem as they just scanned to QR code on the printouts we had with us.

New rule brought in last week, I have checked for Lanzagrote and they are following the Spanish rules albeit they have requested a travel corridor.

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

New rule brought in last week, I have checked for Lanzagrote and they are following the Spanish rules albeit they have requested a travel corridor.

I know restrictions were increased again last week, but regards sunbeds, I was referring to the rules from last summer when they had to wear masks in all public streets as is the case for the new rules, so I am thinking the rules may well have just reverted to what was in place in the summer, though as I say no personal knowledge of that. 

The forum link I have subsequently posted gives a link to the new requirements (in English) as well as on the ground experiences of locals and tourists.

Edited by tring

Reading various reports on Trip Advisor, it appears that mask wearing in  open spaces is being widely ignored by locals and tourists alike. 

One of the advantages of self catering villas is that regardless of the regulations,  with your own pool and garden, there is no need for a mask !