What Happens if Positive Test at Port?

Mavrik55

Hi all.  My wife and I are still planning on cruising on the Escape on Monday. First time in the Haven!!!  We are both double vaxxed and willing to roll with the punches when it comes to entertainment, dining etc. but what does NCL do in the event that my wife or myself or even both should test positive at the port?  Is an FCC an option at that point or is the only option going thru insurance to get money back?

Thanks

You should see what your cruise documents or any communications you've received from NCL say.  Here's what the website says (the link was fairly prominent on the main NCL page).  The info you're asking about is in the FAQ - 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

Oh the FAQ on refund points you to this page - 

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

• Like 1

@Hallux thank you for your help. Don’t know how I missed that. After reviewing those links I’m still uncertain though. For any lawyers out there aren’t these statements contradictory:

Denial of Embarkation or Reboarding; Quarantine and/or Disembarkation**

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases
    ————————————————————————————————————————-

Please note: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance

I read the first statement to mean that I can get an FCC if they deny me/us boarding due to a positive test at the port but the second statement seems to imply I’d be SOL for any reimbursement if I was to test positive and didn’t have a negative test within the last 96 hours. 

Any help here  would be appreciated 

Hi, we are on the Gem currently. At the port, after guests are rapid tested, everyone has to wait around for a text or email with results.  While we were waiting, we observed the staff walking around calling out specific numbers (they don’t use names) and quickly ushering those folks (and their travel party) to a separate area for retests. 

As long as you have a negative PCR when you arrive, NCL will cover quarantine costs.

2 hours ago, Mavrik55 said:

Hi all.  My wife and I are still planning on cruising on the Escape on Monday. First time in the Haven!!!  We are both double vaxxed and willing to roll with the punches when it comes to entertainment, dining etc. but what does NCL do in the event that my wife or myself or even both should test positive at the port?  Is an FCC an option at that point or is the only option going thru insurance to get money back?

Thanks

We're on the same cruise.  My wife has the same concerns.  For us it's easier because it's only a 2 hour drive or so.  I'd probably be more concerned if I was flying in.

26 minutes ago, Mlake09 said:

As long as you have a negative PCR when you arrive, NCL will cover quarantine costs.

An antigen test will suffice:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

"Please note for cruises with embarkation dates through January 31, 2022: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance."

Whelp, I just received an "inconclusive" pcr result for my pre-travel testing. There is not any time to take anything other than a rapid antigen test prior to the flight tomorrow morning. This should be a fun day of figuring out if I can travel and what the chances that an antigen test will be positive at the pier if the proctored antigen test in my home city is negative today.

Me thinks the trip is probably toast.

if you test pos at the port on a lft test ncl have to confirm with a pcr but both tests can provide 85% false positives 

NCL must allow you to see the test being completed if there are any issues and to rule out any tests being completed incorrect by staff

50 minutes ago, rnfulk said:

Whelp, I just received an "inconclusive" pcr result for my pre-travel testing. There is not any time to take anything other than a rapid antigen test prior to the flight tomorrow morning. This should be a fun day of figuring out if I can travel and what the chances that an antigen test will be positive at the pier if the proctored antigen test in my home city is negative today.

Me thinks the trip is probably toast.

In case anyone else ends up in this situation:  It is acceptable to use a rapid antigen test to confirm an inconclusive pcr result, at least according to the Indiana Department of Health.

We'll see how the proctored antigen test goes later today...

1 hour ago, rnfulk said:

In case anyone else ends up in this situation:  It is acceptable to use a rapid antigen test to confirm an inconclusive pcr result, at least according to the Indiana Department of Health.

We'll see how the proctored antigen test goes later today...

this is not correct pcr are used to confirm antigen not the other way round

8 minutes ago, glennmartin said:

this is not correct pcr are used to confirm antigen not the other way round

You are correct if the results are positive, however, with an inconclusive PCR test, the concern is monitoring for active infection. The antigen test can handle that.

• 2 weeks later...

I read on this thread and checked the info in NCL website but the exact procedure is still unclear to me.

If you get tested positive during embarkation,will NCL make a second test to re-confirm? And will you be allowed boarding if the second test is negative?

Some people in this topic say yes. But on the website i can`t find any hint regarding this re-testing.

Cause currently this is my greatest concern(positive test at the pier)

thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, CruiseMH said:

I read on this thread and checked the info in NCL website but the exact procedure is still unclear to me.

If you get tested positive during embarkation,will NCL make a second test to re-confirm? And will you be allowed boarding if the second test is negative?

Some people in this topic say yes. But on the website i can`t find any hint regarding this re-testing.

Cause currently this is my greatest concern(positive test at the pier)

thanks in advance.

If the antigen test taken at the pier prior to embarkation is positive NCL will then do a PCR test. If that PCR test is negative you'll be permitted to board your cruise.

The retest process is stated in the Sail Safe documentation:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

"Universal testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

Cruises with embarkation dates through February 28, 2022:
All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Any positive antigen test will be confirmed with a PCR test."