CDC level 4?

39august

Go back to the CDC statement. Scroll down a bit to the section that gives recommendations about what you can do to  protect yourself if you choose to cruise now. One of the suggestions is to get travel insurance.

I take that to mean advice not travel does not have the force of an order so it should have no effect on most policies, but not all policies are alike. Read yours for any language about travel advisories or call your carrier to be sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am scheduled to leave on a cruise next week. I had planned to purchase an Allianz All Trips Premier annual policy this week. According to the sales agent, because of the CDC Level 4 travel advisory, coverage for the cruise may be denied if I were to file a claim. That would include trip interruption, medical or evacuation. I was shocked. They could be no more specific than that.

I also called GeoBlue and they said claims during the cruise would NOT be denied.

Seems bizarre.  Just a heads up to do your due diligence before purchasing travel insurance for a cruise. 

PS - I called Allianz again, spoke to a supervisor and received the same information.

Edited by eel
  • Like 1

Since you are buying insurance so close to departure, is it a safe assumption that you are primarily interested in medical coverage? If so, GeoBlue will cover you, but it offers little in the way of the usual travel benefits of a comprehensive policy.

Allianz has prominent language on their website about COVID limitations, so it is no surprise that you might not have you coverage you need if you purchase it for this trip; however, there are other policies that still cover both medical and travel risks. You are working on a tight schedule, so I suggest you call a broker like Trip Insurance Store to get professional help in a timely manner.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2021 at 8:22 AM, 39august said:

Does this mean travel insurance won't cover travel under this condition, please?

Hi 39 august,

I suggest you check the wording of your policy because all the trip cancellation policies I've seen say nothing about a CDC warning, instead they require a US State Department warning.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Thanks 1