Taking the Train from NYC to Fort Lauderdale/Miami

Anubi

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has taken the train from NYC to Miami or Fort Lauderdale.  

With all the issues with flying, its just easier to cross the border at a land crossing.  So we thought it would be great to take the train, most likely from Buffalo, so I thought I'd throw it out there.  

Hi, 

I have never done the train trip from Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale or Miami.  With that being said I have done many times from Rochester NY (the stop before Buffalo).  The ride should take about 7 hours BUT it is All ways late.  I have been on the train for up to 10 hours.  You would have to connect in Penn Station NYC to go south.  I also have gone from NY Penn station to North Carolina.  A long trip too.

I would not do this type of trip with out getting a roomette.  For me the whole trip is just too long.

Have you thought of flying out of Buffalo?

You might be able to get the train in Canada.  The train can be held up at the boarder for hours at times. I know this because it is one of the same trains that makes pick up in Rochester.

Geo

Edited by geocruiser
Forgot something.
  • Thanks 1

I have traveled from New Jersey to Tampa and then on to Fort Myers by bus twice a year for more than 10 years until I moved to Florida.

The route to Miami/Fort Lauderdale goes straight through-no bus!

I (as already mentioned) would reserve either a bedroom or roomette. 

Total journey took 24 hours. I loved it! You now have observation cars to see things you will not see flying. Meals served are quite good. You need to see which train (AM or PM) has the open dining car services. The Silver Star or Silver Meteor routes are on the Amtrak site along with pricing.

Have fun if you do decide to take the train!