New Beef with NCL and my canceled cruise

dad son team

10 hours ago, thepla said:

They played games with me. I sent notice to them I am filling in small claims court.   They do not follow their own printed rules ....

If I got it right, you cancelled with 100% penalty and NCL gave you FCC anyway as a courtesy when the cruise was cancelled, despite the fact that they didn't owe you anything, per their rules. Now you believe you are entitled to get a refund on the FCC they gave you.

Seems like the only claim you would have would be with your travel insurance.

5 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Actually you did opt for it by not complying with the requirements for getting a  cash refund.

Let me be clear. We got the notification that we were cancelled on April 3rd. We were on the getaway the 20th. We called our CC. We were told that it would be MONTHS before we would see our money. (Which in of itself made no sense). We asked if we could transfer the MONEY to a different cruise. Note. We made it very very clear we wanted to transfer the money.  He said no problem.  We ALSO made it clear that if the second cruise we would want our MONEY back. Again we were told NO PROBLEM. We set up a cruise on the GEM for July. Again made it clear we wanted to transfer the MONEY. He said the transaction would take a bit but should be no problem. Told us a date to call back to finalize. Which we did. Cut forward to that cruise being cancelled and we got our deposit back. Rest of the original money not so much. Spent endless hours and we were told that the money used for the second cruise was FCC. Again a complete lie compared to the assurances before. 

We never agreed or gambled. We TRUSTED NCL. They violated that trust. We never asked for anything but our original 3,000 dollars back. Had they said in any communication that we will keep your money if the second cruise was cancelled then we would never had agreed to do it in the first place.

This seems simple. I contract with you and pay for a service. Then you fail to provide that service then give me my money back. At any rate. We are using the FCC to take this cruise. We will not use Norwegian again. Our choice. Probably will not cruise again (we have been one time before) And we would recommend not using Norwegian again to anyone who asks. Cruising is ok. But it is not worth this stress. 

As far as "you did not follow the directions". This was OUR money. Not theirs. And now we were given a deadline to spend our money? We actually feel a bit lucky to have found a cruise we can take. Lucky to get value out of OUR money. 

5 hours ago, julig22 said:

Or did they get FCC because they cancelled their cruise. I believe NCL opted to offer FCC to those who cancelled instead of applying the 100% penalty that was in effect at the time.  Now there are claims that NCL owes them a refund on the FCC they got in lieu of nothing.

It was April 2020. They cancelled. We never agreed to FCC. We trusted NCL and booked a cruise on the Gem in July. Put a deposit down and told them to transfer the funds from the April CANCELLED BY THEM cruise to the July cruise. Made clear if the July cruise was cancelled we wanted our money back. We were told no problem since it would be a money transfer not FCC. We did not even have credit back at this point and had to make a deposit back on the July cruise.

All we ever asked for was the original 3,000 back. We did not gamble. We trusted,

2 hours ago, raschueller said:

It was April 2020. They cancelled. We never agreed to FCC. We trusted NCL and booked a cruise on the Gem in July. Put a deposit down and told them to transfer the funds from the April CANCELLED BY THEM cruise to the July cruise. Made clear if the July cruise was cancelled we wanted our money back. We were told no problem since it would be a money transfer not FCC. We did not even have credit back at this point and had to make a deposit back on the July cruise.

All we ever asked for was the original 3,000 back. We did not gamble. We trusted,

Travel insurance?

• Like 1

I do not think you are grasping the reality. They cancelled on us in April and we rebooked immediately for July. They had the money. This was not about lost travel or the insurance. We made it VERY clear that we wanted the money transferred to the July cruise. We also made it clear we wanted the money back in refund for the July cruise. They said no problem.

After the second cruise was cancelled, they then said that second cruise was paid for by FCC which we made clear we did not want to happen. 

They flatly lied. 

Keep in mind we were one of the first groups to be cancelled and there was no real process in place. And they ended up keeping our money for two years. We never agreed to an FCC and we would have never agreed to this insanity. The process should be simple. They cancel. We get our money back. That has not been the case. And again, we did not gamble and lose. We did not cancel. THEY DID. 

NCL has held our money for two years because we trusted them back in April 2020. We were foolish. And we are fairly sure we will never see our money or get any value for it. 

In short. We will try to take this cruise. If we go we will enjoy it. But it will likely be our last and certainly will be our last with NCL. They have lied to us. They have held our money hostage for two years. We never agreed to this. Nor would we ever agree to this. We trusted their word, and we got burned.

We are wiser now.

5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

This 👆👆👆👆

Again, read what happened. We never agreed to FCC. Followed what they told us. We told them to move the cash from the April sailing to the July sailing. THEY converted the April sailing monies to an FCC. They specifically were told not to do that. We made it clear that we wanted the money back on the July sailing if it was cancelled. They said no problem. When the July sailing was cancelled, we handled all the paperwork which was subsequently denied. So funny enough what you are THISING never happened. 

6 minutes ago, raschueller said:

Again, read what happened. We never agreed to FCC. Followed what they told us. We told them to move the cash from the April sailing to the July sailing. THEY converted the April sailing monies to an FCC. They specifically were told not to do that. We made it clear that we wanted the money back on the July sailing if it was cancelled. They said no problem. When the July sailing was cancelled, we handled all the paperwork which was subsequently denied. So funny enough what you are THISING never happened. 

You told them to move cash. That is an FCC. I am sorry you did not understand that. If you wanted a refund, you get the cash back and then you make a payment back to your July cruise. I had the ask this very specific question with Carnival. If I took the cash refund I would lose the FCC bonus OBC but the money is in my hand. If I moved the money to my other cruise, it is an FCC. RCL does it the same way and I am extremely confident NCL follows the same path. Next time take the cash.

• Like 1

Oh, there will never be a next time. but let's be clear. WE DID ASK. We were told that would be fine. We SPECIFICALLY also said if they cancel July 2020 will we get our money back, The answer was yes.

But no. We will not be in this situation again. Since 2020 we have taken a 20 day trip to Portugal. Flew in. Drove around the country. Had an amazing time. The cruising industry lied to us. They got us good. This time. 

Also process this. We DID ASK. If they had answered honestly, we would have said oh hell no and gotten our money back. I am sure that NCL will do fine for a while with all their stans. But that audience is getting older and there is a bunch of us first time customers that got burned.

6 minutes ago, raschueller said:

Oh, there will never be a next time. but let's be clear. WE DID ASK. We were told that would be fine. We SPECIFICALLY also said if they cancel July 2020 will we get our money back, The answer was yes.

But no. We will not be in this situation again. Since 2020 we have taken a 20 day trip to Portugal. Flew in. Drove around the country. Had an amazing time. The cruising industry lied to us. They got us good. This time. 

Also process this. We DID ASK. If they had answered honestly, we would have said oh hell no and gotten our money back. I am sure that NCL will do fine for a while with all their stans. But that audience is getting older and there is a bunch of us first time customers that got burned.

It is very unfortunate that you didn't fully understand the process being new to cruising.   I'd have to correct you on your statistics though:  according to Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA)  the cruising population is actually getting younger rather than older.  As a TA my Customer Base has seen a great increase specifically in the Gen X'r population.

Hopefully you'll calm down at some point and give cruising another try, it doesn't have to be NCL, though they are good, there are plenty of other good options.  Find yourself a truly good TA who will take the time to ensure you understand the agreements and take care of the stressful minutia for you so you don't get in situation again.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, raschueller said:

Cash is KING. If you wanted cash, you had to take a refund. There were no questions on that. Moving money from one cruise to another is FCC, period. Its unfortunate you did not understand that. Many people fell into your same situation by not understanding the agreement you made. In those cases, if you don't know what you are agreeing to best to consult an attorney or take the cash and wait for the dust to settle. We almost fell for it with RCL by taking the 25% bonus until we looked at future cruise prices when we could go and they were 2x what we had paid. We chose full refund because cash in my hand is better than cash in NCL's hand. Wound up there were no RCL cruises in our price range and it was the best decision. 

• Like 1

image.gif.21d5317b9faf018c102541095ff28192.gif

Future Cruise Credit Refund Requests

To offer our guests even more flexibility for future vacation planning, some who hold outstanding previously issued Future Cruise Credits (FCC) may now submit a request to convert their FCC to a monetary refund. Guests who elect to request their FCC for a monetary refund will receive the original cruise fare paid back to their original form of payment and forfeit any bonus FCCs attached to their Latitudes profile.

Any guest wishing to request a monetary refund (of their original cruise fare paid and in lieu of their active FCC, including bonus amounts) must submit a refund request via the Guest Relations Case Submission page at: https://www.ncl.com/case-submission.

1. If a refund is approved, all FCCs (including Bonus FCCs) will be deactivated, and a refund will be issued back to the original form of payment, within 90 days from the request submission date.
  2. Any existing 10% Future Cruise Discounts will remain active and available for use on future bookings.
  3.  For guests who are no longer able to travel as a result of an official announcement by a government or agency that takes place within 14 days of sailing (when Peace of Mind is no longer available), and the mandate states guests are NOT allowed to travel, then a refund would be available. If the new mandate is an inconvenience to the guest, i.e. a new quarantine requirement upon return from travel (but not a travel ban), then an FCC would be offered.

Only new government or agency mandates would be considered. Anything in place already since April 2021 would not allow the guest to cancel and receive the above.

Edited by n4w

On 1/12/2022 at 10:13 AM, bigrednole said:

Cash is KING. If you wanted cash, you had to take a refund. There were no questions on that. Moving money from one cruise to another is FCC, period. Its unfortunate you did not understand that. Many people fell into your same situation by not understanding the agreement you made. In those cases, if you don't know what you are agreeing to best to consult an attorney or take the cash and wait for the dust to settle. We almost fell for it with RCL by taking the 25% bonus until we looked at future cruise prices when we could go and they were 2x what we had paid. We chose full refund because cash in my hand is better than cash in NCL's hand. Wound up there were no RCL cruises in our price range and it was the best decision. 

Ground zero why I will not do this again.

Imagine this. Airlines cancels flight. Transfer ticket to another flight. That flight gets cancelled.

Airlines refuses to rebook you on another airlines. Refuses to refund the money. Says you can only use them for another ticket in a year. No we do not know if your flight will be available. No we do not know how much it will cost. 

No one would stand for that. So no. I am good. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 9:40 AM, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

It is very unfortunate that you didn't fully understand the process being new to cruising.   I'd have to correct you on your statistics though:  according to Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA)  the cruising population is actually getting younger rather than older.  As a TA my Customer Base has seen a great increase specifically in the Gen X'r population.

Hopefully you'll calm down at some point and give cruising another try, it doesn't have to be NCL, though they are good, there are plenty of other good options.  Find yourself a truly good TA who will take the time to ensure you understand the agreements and take care of the stressful minutia for you so you don't get in situation again.

Name one other travel industry that acts like this.

(BTW I am Gen X. We are not young at all. )

On 1/11/2022 at 5:21 PM, dad son team said:

I was due to sail on the Pearl 1/14 and that was one of the sailing that was one of the sailings that they canceled.  I received an email stating that everything would be refunded, plus we would get a 10% off coupon to use for another cruise.   

When I booked this cruise, I used a combination of FCC, Cruise Next, and credit card.  I gave it a few days, and received another email confirming that my reservation was cancelled and that my CN cert was reissued, and my credit card was refunded (haven't seen the money but I expect that will take a few weeks) but nothing about my FCC.  I checked my account online and see the CN there and the 10% off coupon.  I never saw the FCC since it was issued so didn't think much about it, but thought I would call to confirm that it was in fact on the account.  The agent didn't see it at first in my recently cancelled reservation, but looked into the history and saw that a 'coupon" was used for $424.50, which was the amount of the FCC.  She said it wasn't available because it expired 12/31/2021.  I told her that was unacceptable since I used it in accordance with the rules and since I didn't cancel my reservation I should be given another chance to use it.  She referred my to a link on the website to file a more formal complaint in writing which I just did.

Anyone have any other suggestions should they come back and deny it?

I understand that it was due to expire, but I did in fact use it and I just don't think that it's fair.  At least give me another 6 months or something

Thanks for letting me gripe about this

I have also filed a case. I got a letter in December saying my credits were extended to January 31, 2022. I was happy to have a little extra time to apply them with Omicron taking over. I even called NCL to confirm that all credits could be applied in January. They said the system wasn’t updated yet but that if I got the letter, that was definitely the case. I went to apply the credits last week. The largest one is gone. No one can tell me where it is. My PCC said to file a case. Now I probably won’t hear back until after January 31. She did say something about escalating it if I don’t hear anything or if they won’t fix this. She said to call back after 30 days since this might take awhile. I will give NCL time to respond, but I am not very happy about this. If you find any other avenues to pursue, let me know. 

• 3 weeks later...