5 days for results at YYZ

Raveler

DH and I went on a sailing Jan 9-16 round trip Fort Lauderdale, flew back Sunday night to Toronto Pearson after a delay and he got randomly selected to get tested. He just got his results this morning (Friday), so during the 5 days he couldn't go back to work. Just be prepared that a 7 day vacation could turn into 2 weeks or longer if you're positive. 

The cruise itself was great but so many health protocols makes me think twice about going again.f6ffd329-e515-427e-b524-934a3caf9d32.thumb.JPG.f3af016e603c10861d47c3c8c622b76d.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as I’d love to be cruising we aren’t ready to jump through all the hoops.  Things keep changing especially with our Canadian rules about cruising/coming back into Canada etc.  

Glad your cruise was great at least!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALD18 said:

I dunno?  Looking at that picture looks awful tempting.  -29c this morning and a foot of snow with a side order of ice here.  I dunnooooooooooooooooo😀    

I know, we arrived just before the blizzard on Monday. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

As much as I’d love to be cruising we aren’t ready to jump through all the hoops.  Things keep changing especially with our Canadian rules about cruising/coming back into Canada etc.  

Glad your cruise was great at least!

It was! The flights are a mess - If you stick to ports near you and avoid flying that would be ideal. On the way back the flight was full and even though masks are mandatory, people didn't stick to the rules and flight attendants didn't say anything after the first time.

15 minutes ago, Raveler said:

It was! The flights are a mess - If you stick to ports near you and avoid flying that would be ideal. On the way back the flight was full and even though masks are mandatory, people didn't stick to the rules and flight attendants didn't say anything after the first time.

We live in Vancouver so Alaska cruises would be our closest if they even happen this year!  

The photo you posted is so beautiful and oh, how I miss the warm waters and cruising.  We have a very long cruise booked for later this year (South Pacific from our home port) but will have to decide by May (final payment) if we feel comfortable going.  So many changes I’ve just been living through the “live” posts that people have been doing.  

Shame not everyone follows the masking rules on flights-I’ve certainly seen press about how chaotic they can become and aggressive to flight attendants if challenged.  Thankless job these days.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

We live in Vancouver so Alaska cruises would be our closest if they even happen this year!  

The photo you posted is so beautiful and oh, how I miss the warm waters and cruising.  We have a very long cruise booked for later this year (South Pacific from our home port) but will have to decide by May (final payment) if we feel comfortable going.  So many changes I’ve just been living through the “live” posts that people have been doing.  

Shame not everyone follows the masking rules on flights-I’ve certainly seen press about how chaotic they can become and aggressive to flight attendants if challenged.  Thankless job these days.  

Which cruise line is it?

Were on HAL so it was negative test, vaxxed only and masked.

I saw a few people would slightly raise their mask to their nose the moment any flight attendant or staff at the airport made an appearance and lower it back down to a chin diaper when they were out of sight. Children/toddlers the same way as their parents modelled this kind of behaviour. It's a shame.

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

If you’re asking about our long cruise it’s on the Zuiderdam leaves Vancouver & returns to San Diego.  (Leaves September 28)

Oh that's convenient for you! I hope you can go!

• Like 1

This might be a bit of a stretch, but hear me out.

Reading a few reports of people having to wait for on arrival test results to leave their quarantine upon returning to Canada.

Has anyone tried having their own RT-LAMP teleproctored test ready to go for when they get home? Results in 45 min and it is a molecular test so in theory is sensitive enough to cover the same end goal as PCR.

My thinking is this, I get the collection kit or whatever when arriving to Canada and submit the test samples as requested. Then, I do the RT-Lamp and get my results immediately. If negative, I leave my quarantine and go about my business while the mandated arrival test takes however long it takes to wind its way through the system. The feds still get their sample for sequencing (apparently that's still the reason we're continuing with the arrival test circus).

Not sure how the feds would feel about such a thing but it would sure be nice to go about my life in the face of the overboard requirements. Thoughts?

42 minutes ago, GStuart said:

This might be a bit of a stretch, but hear me out.

Reading a few reports of people having to wait for on arrival test results to leave their quarantine upon returning to Canada.

Has anyone tried having their own RT-LAMP teleproctored test ready to go for when they get home? Results in 45 min and it is a molecular test so in theory is sensitive enough to cover the same end goal as PCR.

My thinking is this, I get the collection kit or whatever when arriving to Canada and submit the test samples as requested. Then, I do the RT-Lamp and get my results immediately. If negative, I leave my quarantine and go about my business while the mandated arrival test takes however long it takes to wind its way through the system. The feds still get their sample for sequencing (apparently that's still the reason we're continuing with the arrival test circus).

Not sure how the feds would feel about such a thing but it would sure be nice to go about my life in the face of the overboard requirements. Thoughts?

Unfortunately, taking some other, quicker test is simply not an option. At the current time, if you have been outside Canada and the US within the preceding 14 days, you are obliged to quarantine until the official arrival test results are in. If you choose not to remain in quarantine, with or without a negative proctored LAMP test, you risk substantial fines if caught. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Raveler said:

DH and I went on a sailing Jan 9-16 round trip Fort Lauderdale, flew back Sunday night to Toronto Pearson after a delay and he got randomly selected to get tested. He just got his results this morning (Friday), so during the 5 days he couldn't go back to work. Just be prepared that a 7 day vacation could turn into 2 weeks or longer if you're positive. 

The cruise itself was great but so many health protocols makes me think twice about going again.f6ffd329-e515-427e-b524-934a3caf9d32.thumb.JPG.f3af016e603c10861d47c3c8c622b76d.JPG

Lucky You! Your test results came back in only 5 days. Ours took 7 and 9 days. And I tested positive. 🥳 

During the busy holiday season in a pandemic, if you can't be away from work for at least two weeks you can't go a one week vacation outside the country. Just the Facts of Covid Life!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Unfortunately, taking some other, quicker test is simply not an option. At the current time, if you have been outside Canada and the US within the preceding 14 days, you are obliged to quarantine until the official arrival test results are in. If you choose not to remain in quarantine, with or without a negative proctored LAMP test, you risk substantial fines if caught. 

Of course, it would simply be far too logical to allow one the pleasure of reducing the impact that such ill-considered (and at this point truly unnecessary/useless) requirements has on ones life while accomplishing the very thing our government feels obliged to subject us to.

I pay them enough in taxes already, what's another $5k among friends to return to some level of sanity by escaping the frozen tundra that is Saskatchewan in January.

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Lucky You! Your test results came back in only 5 days. Ours took 7 and 9 days. And I tested positive. 🥳 

During the busy holiday season in a pandemic, if you can't be away from work for at least two weeks you can't go a one week vacation outside the country. Just the Facts of Covid Life!

Oh that sucks! Did you also get in at Pearson?

I just wanted everyone to be aware the possibility of being in quarantine and/or off work. 

We were also on the Rotterdam, got tested Saturday morning with our negative results delivered to our stateroom Saturday evening.  Then after the flight on Sunday had to do the “random” airport test - received our negative results Thursday. 

Between being retired and the storm that blew in Sunday night, it was not a problem staying home.  

Loved the cruise!  Home for a couple of weeks and heading off again.  This time we’ll be on the Eurodam for 10 days, heading to the Panama Canal. 

Yes, I agree, the tests and paperwork are a nuisance, but so worthwhile for peace of mind. 

Deb56DBFCCC-2B2C-4678-9852-C3F8F0E9765C.thumb.jpeg.c3776f729211e9a267bbab441c625d29.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Raveler said:

Oh that sucks! Did you also get in at Pearson?

I just wanted everyone to be aware the possibility of being in quarantine and/or off work. 

We did the tests at Terminal 3 at Pearson. 

Hopefully your 5 day turnaround is due to a downward trend in waiting times. Unfortunately, the Feds ramp up in testing during the very busy holiday travel season resulted in backlogs in the system. We'll see soon enough if wait times get back to the 48-72 hours promised. Of course our result wait time could have just been just the result of sending them to Ottawa for processing. (long running semi-amusing Ottawa jab 😉

You are absolutely right to bring up the possibility of missing work not only due to the arrival testing. But also international travelers need to think about if they test positive on the PCR test the they have to take in order to start their travel back to Canada. Before we went south we made sure we could both work from the Dominican Republic if we got stuck there for an addition 14 days (old rules) if we tested positive down there. We made sure the resort's wifi speeds were adequate, arranged the best data roaming packages we could if if got booted from the resort and had to quarantine somewhere else and we 🤞. So waiting for the arrival test results was not big deal for us because we have already prepared ourselves for that possibility. International Travel these days is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, eyeseeu said:

We were also on the Rotterdam, got tested Saturday morning with our negative results delivered to our stateroom Saturday evening.  Then after the flight on Sunday had to do the “random” airport test - received our negative results Thursday. 

Between being retired and the storm that blew in Sunday night, it was not a problem staying home.  

Loved the cruise!  Home for a couple of weeks and heading off again.  This time we’ll be on the Eurodam for 10 days, heading to the Panama Canal. 

Yes, I agree, the tests and paperwork are a nuisance, but so worthwhile for peace of mind. 

Deb56DBFCCC-2B2C-4678-9852-C3F8F0E9765C.thumb.jpeg.c3776f729211e9a267bbab441c625d29.jpeg

Interesting - assuming we were on the same flight that was sitting on the tarmac for over an hour, results came on different days!

Panama Canal is on my bucket list - Hope I go sometime. Have a great cruise!

14 hours ago, Raveler said:

Interesting - assuming we were on the same flight that was sitting on the tarmac for over an hour, results came on different days!

Panama Canal is on my bucket list - Hope I go sometime. Have a great cruise!

Yes, that was our flight too!  😞

We likely passed each other on the ship, or maybe sat near each other in the comedian shows. Small world ...🙂

2 hours ago, hoklun said:

We also sailed 9-16, but flew back after the snowpocalypse on the Tuesday night. Got our results back the Wednesday. Wonder if the snow issues delayed your results quite a bit? 

Also from FLL to YYZ? I have no idea where the tests get sent to be processed, it's possible

We got randomly selected but the weird thing was that they selected 3 out of the 4 of my family memebers -- would it not make sense to select us all, since we live in the same house?

My daughter and I received my test results in 4 days, whereas my wife was 7 day and this was before the snow apocalypse.

Side note, did you guys find that the PCR test wasn't really a PCR test?  I mean, my rapid test from Shoppers was more invasive than this one. I have picked my nose deeper than they put that q-tip. Because if it wasn't just me, then what does these random test really do except waste time and money?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xcell said:

We got randomly selected but the weird thing was that they selected 3 out of the 4 of my family memebers -- would it not make sense to select us all, since we live in the same house?

My daughter and I received my test results in 4 days, whereas my wife was 7 day and this was before the snow apocalypse.

Side note, did you guys find that the PCR test wasn't really a PCR test?  I mean, my rapid test from Shoppers was more invasive than this one. I have picked my nose deeper than they put that q-tip. Because if it wasn't just me, then what does these random test really do except waste time and money?

PCR refers to the the equipment and technique they use to process the same not how they obtain the sample.   

That said no idea if they went deep enough. You would hope that the people at the airport who take samples all day long have it down to a science. But who knows.

10 hours ago, em-sk said:

PCR refers to the the equipment and technique they use to process the same not how they obtain the sample.   

That said no idea if they went deep enough. You would hope that the people at the airport who take samples all day long have it down to a science. But who knows.

Well my daughter had a PCR done for school (possible contact) and she told me that the one at the airport was nothing like it.

I've heard for some, it will make you tear up or "it's too your brain", etc...  My point is, if they are going to do it, do it right, otherwise it is for show and a waste of the government's (our tax payer's) money.  RCCL was no better but I get it, they don't really want to catch an asymptomatic on board.