Aix or St Remy / Les Baux?

Host Jacquelyn

We have a 1 day stop in Marseilles and were trying to decide between taking an excursion to Aix or St Remy / Les Baux (tour stops at both towns). Both are offered by the cruise line, but appear to be more DIY, which is what we prefer. That is to say, the extent of the excursion is transportation to and from the towns.

We have been to France a few times, but never Provence. The bus ride to  St Remy / Les Baux is much longer, so a lot of time will be spent in transit. Which do you recommend for someone who has never been to the area? We are into history and site-seeing, not necessarily dining. I am leaning towards Aix as we are first-timers to the region, but I don't want to miss out if St Remy / Les Baux are recommended.

St Remy/Les Baux will give you more variety. Medieval villages, Roman ruins, Van Gogh... Yes, the drive is longer, but it is also over some beautiful countryside.  

Having said that, I love Aix and have been there many times. Beautiful city, medieval church, Cezanne, market...  It would be a shorter day excursion.

There is no wrong choice here. Look at the description of the tours and see how much they cover in each of them. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Marazul!

I stayed in Cote D'Azur for around a week, and my favorite towns were St Paul de Vence and Eze Village. To me, St Remy/Les Baux seems like it would be similar, and I would love that. But everyone says that Aix is wonderful and can't be missed. Medieval villages and Roman ruins seems more enticing to me. The fliipside is that I cannot determine from the description just how long we would have in each town...

15 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Thanks, Marazul!

I stayed in Cote D'Azur for around a week, and my favorite towns were St Paul de Vence and Eze Village. To me, St Remy/Les Baux seems like it would be similar, and I would love that. But everyone says that Aix is wonderful and can't be missed. Medieval villages and Roman ruins seems more enticing to me. The fliipside is that I cannot determine from the description just how long we would have in each town...

You can estimate the time by estimating driving time.  It is 1 hour each way to LB/StR and about 15 minutes between them.  It is 35-40 minute each way to Aix,

Does your excursion to LB/StR include a visit to the St. Paul-de Mausole insane asylum where Van Gogh stayed?  How about the adjacent Roman ruins of Glanum?  I would search for the tourist offices of St. R and LB and get more info about them.  LB also has a museum of Yves Brayer's paintings and St R has the houses of the Marquis de Sade and of Nostradamus.  They would presumably be included in your walking tour.

But, Aix is Aix.

We have enjoyed all these places.  Aix is much larger and has an excellent museum,  and at times a great market.  St .Remy is smaller and Les Baux is a very interesting experience, an ancient fortress.  We have stayed several times in this area and found Aix less charming last time.  So the combo of St. Remy and Les Baux would be my recommendation.  

Thanks for the tips!

It doesn't sound like much is included in the tour, description below. The towns seem so charming though, it may still be worth it

Discover two jewels of Provence-the villages of St-Remy and Les Baux-de-Provence. In St-Remy, stroll through streets filled with charming shops and sidewalk cafes, view the impressive architecture of the St. Martin church and Fountain of Nostradamus (a St-Remy native). Then visit an Art gallery at Les Baux-de-Provence where you will, journey into the past, as you gaze at well-preserved Renaissance buildings and enjoy free time to explore, have lunch and shop.

Tough choices and we will admit to enjoying St Remy (once stayed there for 2 weeks in part of a villa), Aix and Les Baux.  Keep in mind that Aix is a relatively large city (especially when compared to St Remy and Les Baux) while the other two mentioned places are relatively small villages.  I agree with Marazul that the Roman ruins located just outside Les Baux are worthy of a visit although for some reason it is often bypassed on structured excursions.  Wear comfy footwear as Les Baux does involve lots of walking (including some slopes/steps.

Hank