Transport fm LAX to San Pedro Hotel

BridgeMates

I understand getting out of LAX is very difficult (friends tell us it's a nightmare). They tell us we need to get an executive car at cost of $175.

We will arrive on AA on a Friday.

There are 4 of us.

What is the best way to get to the Crown Plaza?   Use the apt shuttle to the pick up area for Uber? I read where it might be 45+ min to get uber there.

Do taxi's pick up at the terminals, or do we still have to take a shuttle to pick up area?

Someone mentioned Prime Time Shuttle.....but then I've read negative comments on this company.

Will appreciate your help if you have been in my situation.  

Thank you.

At LAX, you'll need to get to the LAXit area (near Terminal 1) for Uber, Lyft, and taxi pickups.

Shuttle service to the pickup area is frequent and pickup points are well marked, but you'll have to haul your luggage on & off the bus without assistance. There's no seating at the LAXit lot except improvised seats on the Jersey wall sections separating the waiting areas from the roadways.

It's not the most delightful experience, but then again not much at LAX qualifies as a delightful experience.

Pick up at the terminal is still available for the premium rideshare options: Uber Black, Uber XL, Lyft Black, and Lyft Lux. More expensive but more civilized. Start your vacation early!

I have flown in and out of LAX several times during the pandemic/new pick up era...

My experience has been a bit inconsistent...

First, getting to the LAX-it lot is not difficult at all...the buses come by every few minutes right outside baggage claim...

Once at the lot, it can be a mixed bag...

Twice I've tried pre-reserving (pre-paid) rides from Prime Time (since they'd take a reservation and Uber wouldn't)--once through the Prime Time app, the other through their "Opoli" service--which was formed to look a little like Uber or Lyft...but is nowhere close in actual operation.  One time, their app assigned me a ride/driver...and, after too long a wait, the guy got there...and told me he had someone else he had to take first...and I was "second" in line...so, he would find them, take them where they were going, then return for me and my wife!!  The other guy never showed...and, eventually, the guy took us...

I figured everyone is entitled to one screw-up, so I tried them once more...and, this time, they were a complete no-show.  I called the dispatcher--who said nothing he could do--he didn't have ANY available drivers...and, YES, I had PRE-PAID for the ride...I logged onto Uber--and they had me a driver there in 6 minutes--and at a lower price!

I've had much better luck there with Uber--but with one proviso:  When I've arrived late at night or at a very high-volume time, the quoted fares have been outrageously high.  Still, more often than not, we've had Uber arrive there to pick us up within 15 minutes or less and at, at least, a somewhat reasonable fare.  Also, one time, we had no issue getting an Uber at a very low fare from an LAX area private parking lot (we left the car there while doing a one-way cruise that we were flying home from--but it makes one consider cheating a bit and taking a hotel shuttle from LAX and calling Uber from the hotel...though that's taking advantage of the hotel and their shuttle, so, I probably wouldn't do it).

When we do our Majestic Princess LA to Vancouver cruise April 30, our plan is to Uber from home all the way to San Pedro, then after our flight back to LAX. just to use the LAX-it lot and Uber home from there.

Uber does have a system for pre-reserving an Uber ahead of time--and I trust them to make good on that far more than Prime Time/Opoli--but they don't seem to allow this option from LAX...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BridgeMates said:

Thank you all very much!

There will be 4 of us with luggage.  Thinking the Uber XL will be ok.

I want to be sure.....the Uber XL will pick up at the arrival terminal and we won't have to shuttle to another area?  

It's Uber Black...or Premium SUV...that can pick up at the curb.  Uber XL uses the LAX-it lot just like Uber X...You just get a larger vehicle...

The LAX-it shuttle picks up right outside baggage claim and takes just a few minutes...The LAX-it lot is actually right next to Terminal 1--you can actually walk it if you arrive there...

Edited by Bruin Steve

13 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

It's Uber Black...or Premium SUV...that can pick up at the curb.  Uber XL uses the LAX-it lot just like Uber X...You just get a larger vehicle...

The LAX-it shuttle picks up right outside baggage claim and takes just a few minutes...The LAX-it lot is actually right next to Terminal 1--you can actually walk it if you arrive there...

Apologies for the slight hijack.. We're arriving at Terminal 6 around 9:30PM on a Saturday and will be taxi-ing it down to Torrance before our trip the next day to SP.  Are the LAX-It shuttles still frequent that time of night on a Saturday or would we have a wait?  Thx....

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Apologies for the slight hijack.. We're arriving at Terminal 6 around 9:30PM on a Saturday and will be taxi-ing it down to Torrance before our trip the next day to SP.  Are the LAX-It shuttles still frequent that time of night on a Saturday or would we have a wait?  Thx....

They are supposed to run every 7 minutes, 24/7...We've arrived later than that and no problem...

I have looked at a number of suggested sites & for one person they are way over $100 as high as $150. 

The best price I have found is Lyft at around $50 to the Crown Plaza Hotel in San Pedro. 

Wherever you stay do a street view so you know what’s around the hotel so you know what to expect. 

Tom🎂

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

I have looked at a number of suggested sites & for one person they are way over $100 as high as $150.  The best price I have found is Lyft at around $50 to the Crown Plaza Hotel in San Pedro.

The OP was looking to have to avoid the LAX-it lot. They'd have to use LAX-it for standard Uber or Lyft. They don't want to do that. That pushes the cost up.

The OP also has 4 people, not 1.

57 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

The OP was looking to have to avoid the LAX-it lot. They'd have to use LAX-it for standard Uber or Lyft. They don't want to do that. That pushes the cost up.

The OP also has 4 people, not 1.

I understand so if the cost is not an issue than there are other options. I saw one price at $150 so for me that’s a lot of money just to have someone pick me up at the curb. 

Tom😀

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

I’m flying to LAX on Southwest. Which terminal will I pick up my luggage as I’m aware flights leave from Terminal B?  I checked todays flight & it arrived at gate 16.

If you are on Southwest you'd be arriving in Terminal 1, which means you walk to the LAX-it lot right next door and use standard Lyft or Uber.

Not sure Terminal B comes into the conversation. That the Tom Bradley International Terminal, called "B" for Bradley. SWA doesn't go to Terminal B.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

If you are on Southwest you'd be arriving in Terminal 1, which means you walk to the LAX-it lot right next door and use standard Lyft or Uber.

Not sure Terminal B comes into the conversation. That the Tom Bradley International Terminal, called "B" for Bradley. SWA doesn't go to Terminal B.

If you look here’s what’s on the LAX web site. 

Allegiant, Southwest (International), Sun Country, Viva Aerobus passengers check-in at Terminal 1; will be bused to Terminal B where flights depart/arrive. 

Thanks for your information. 

Tom😀

2 hours ago, trbarton said:

Allegiant, Southwest (International), Sun Country, Viva Aerobus passengers check-in at Terminal 1; will be bused to Terminal B where flights depart/arrive.

Re-read your post.

"Allegiant, Southwest (International), Sun Country, Viva Aerobus passengers check-in at Terminal 1; will be bused to Terminal B where flights depart/arrive."

Southwest International.

Southwest Domestic flights depart and arrive at Terminal 1.

• Like 1

To make it a little more clear, here is a map with the LAX-it lot:

Screen-Shot-2019-12-21-at-10.41.55-AM.png?resize=750%2C620&ssl=1

T-1 is the terminal for all SOUTHWEST domestic flights--where you will land.  You exit at the bottom, on that loop road that circles in front of all the terminals.  Rather than turning right and picking up a shuttle at stop "A", just turn to your left as you exit the terminal.  You will immediately cross a small road and you will be IN the LAX-it lot.

You will find aisles like this...and your ride-share app will likely tell you which aisle and number to go to in order to find your ride:

image.jpeg.e0c7ceda249e9904b762f8698ebdc35e.jpeg
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

To make it a little more clear, here is a map with the LAX-it lot:

Screen-Shot-2019-12-21-at-10.41.55-AM.png?resize=750%2C620&ssl=1

T-1 is the terminal for all SOUTHWEST domestic flights--where you will land.  You exit at the bottom, on that loop road that circles in front of all the terminals.  Rather than turning right and picking up a shuttle at stop "A", just turn to your left as you exit the terminal.  You will immediately cross a small road and you will be IN the LAX-it lot.

You will find aisles like this...and your ride-share app will likely tell you which aisle and number to go to in order to find your ride:

image.jpeg.e0c7ceda249e9904b762f8698ebdc35e.jpeg

Thank you very much. Much appreciated. 

Tom😀

The LAX web site was confusing as it says you  check-in at Terminal 1; will be bused to Terminal B where flights depart/arrive.   I only posted what was on the LAX web site unless I missed something or the web site is wrong.

Tom😀

6 hours ago, trbarton said:

The LAX web site was confusing as it says you  check-in at Terminal 1; will be bused to Terminal B where flights depart/arrive.   I only posted what was on the LAX web site unless I missed something or the web site is wrong.

Tom😀

Tom, you are correct to some extent--there is definitely an error in one place in the LAX website...and, unfortunately that is what you were looking at.  It is an error of omission on one of the maps.  It gives a key with locations of various airlines, but lists Southwest with an asterisk...and that asterisk leads to a note regarding "Southwest (International)"...but it completely omits Southwest-Domestic...at least on that page...

But, if you go here:

LAX Official Site | Airport Terminal 1 Information & Maps (flylax.com)

...you will find the complete listing...which reads:

Airlines at Terminal 1

• Allegiant Air (check-in only, flights depart Tom Bradley International West Gates)
  • Southwest (Domestic Flights)
  • Southwest (Int'l Check-in)
  • Sun Country (check-in only, flights depart Tom Bradley International West Gates)
  • Viva Aerobus (check-in only, flights depart Tom Bradley International West Gates)

That shows (properly) that Southwest domestic flights are at Terminal 1...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BridgeMates said:

Appreciate all the info.  We'll be on AA arriving around 1pm so we should be able to get to the pick up area easily enough.  What terminal does AA usually arrive in?

Terminal 4 is their main terminal, some AA commuter flights use Terminal 5.

12 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Tom, you are correct to some extent--there is definitely an error in one place in the LAX website...and, unfortunately that is what you were looking at.  It is an error of omission on one of the maps.  It gives a key with locations of various airlines, but lists Southwest with an asterisk...and that asterisk leads to a note regarding "Southwest (International)"...but it completely omits Southwest-Domestic...at least on that page...

But, if you go here:

LAX Official Site | Airport Terminal 1 Information & Maps (flylax.com)

...you will find the complete listing...which reads:

Airlines at Terminal 1

• Allegiant Air (check-in only, flights depart Tom Bradley International West Gates)
  • Southwest (Domestic Flights)
  • Southwest (Int'l Check-in)
  • Sun Country (check-in only, flights depart Tom Bradley International West Gates)
  • Viva Aerobus (check-in only, flights depart Tom Bradley International West Gates)

That shows (properly) that Southwest domestic flights are at Terminal 1...

Thank you very much. It was already mentioned that if I exit & go left I’ll be at the LAX-it lot. 

Thanks for all of your help. 

Tom😀