Princess Cruises testing to get back into Canada

stefndoug

According to the Princess Cruises website, they will cover the rapid PCR test after you disembark to get back into Canada.  We are doing the Alaska Sampler (Vancouver to Seattle) in May and according to them (on their live chat)...if it is still required to get home, they will cover it.  Has anyone here (from Canada) used the Princess testing after disembarkation?  Wondering how that went?  I am hesitant to pay our final payment because I have no desire to try to find a testing place in Seattle (and we won't do the Lamp test from SwitchHealth).

Thanks,

Stefani

The Seattle airport. 

I am counting on the PCR test by Princess in Southampton in April after my cruise. 7am. Results 60 mins. For PCR. Tests maybe scrapped by then. Not worth stress. Plan your flight times and pre book test at airport. 

Just now, dog said:

The Seattle airport. 

I am counting on the PCR test by Princess in Southampton in April after my cruise. 7am. Results 60 mins. For PCR. Tests maybe scrapped by then. Not worth stress. Plan your flight times and pre book test at airport. 

no flights... i need it for the land border.  I won't pay $250 for a test in Seattle.  That is just about what I paid for our cruise 🙂  If there is a chance that Princess won't do the testing then I plan on not making our final payment.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What may be happening right now may not be relevant next week, next month or a few months from now.  Princess (or who they’ve partnered with) or any other cruise line may quit this testing practice at any time.

This exactly. Basing decisions about final payments based on today’s situation won’t help you. A flexible attitude is about all you can have these days. Princess is currently doing post cruise PCR tests at no charge, but that could change. Princess has pretty good cancellation policies currently, and even though they may only leave you with a cruise credit and not a refund, it doesn’t sound like your short cruise will tie up too much $$. Only you know whether that’s a risk you are willing to take. 
Personally I am hopeful that the rules for border crossings will change soon. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What may be happening right now may not be relevant next week, next month or a few months from now.  Princess (or who they’ve partnered with) or any other cruise line may quit this testing practice at any time.

but of course...but it would still be nice to know how Princess has treated people currently with this policy.  Which is why I asked.  

I'm counting on the post cruise test by Princess after my Mexico cruise in March out of LA. Have to fly back to Toronto. Fingers crossed nothing changes with that anytime soon. I have noticed  some of the other cruise lines provide the test but passengers are responsible for the cost. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sunviking90 said:

This exactly. Basing decisions about final payments based on today’s situation won’t help you. A flexible attitude is about all you can have these days. Princess is currently doing post cruise PCR tests at no charge, but that could change. Princess has pretty good cancellation policies currently, and even though they may only leave you with a cruise credit and not a refund, it doesn’t sound like your short cruise will tie up too much $$. Only you know whether that’s a risk you are willing to take. 
Personally I am hopeful that the rules for border crossings will change soon. 

actually it does help me and you telling me what will help me or not, is not at all helpful.  I have to base my decision on how they have treated people up to this point.  If I was booked on Royal Caribbean, I wouldn't pay my final payment and cancel.   I need an informed decision and maybe coming on CruiseCritic isn't the way to do it since people don't know how to just answer my question.

1 minute ago, Labber 2 said:

I'm counting on the post cruise test by Princess after my Mexico cruise in March out of LA. Have to fly back to Toronto. Fingers crossed nothing changes with that anytime soon. I have noticed  some of the other cruise lines provide the test but passengers are responsible for the cost. 

I would be ok with a bit of a cost...Seattle is very expensive, and i don't want to pay more for the test than the cruise LOL.  

5 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

actually it does help me and you telling me what will help me or not, is not at all helpful.  I have to base my decision on how they have treated people up to this point.  If I was booked on Royal Caribbean, I wouldn't pay my final payment and cancel.   I need an informed decision and maybe coming on CruiseCritic isn't the way to do it since people don't know how to just answer my question.

To answer your question, I am on a Princess cruise right now and will be returning either next Saturday or the following (we may stay on another week). I can let you know how the post cruise testing goes, but we’ll be in LA, not Seattle so it may differ. 

2 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

I would be ok with a bit of a cost...Seattle is very expensive, and i don't want to pay more for the test than the cruise LOL.  

I can totally understand that, my brother and his family are cruising with me, but if they have to pay for PCR tests post cruise it would be quite expensive for them being a family of 4.  If Princess changes this prior to our sailing, I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel and take FCC to use when the Canadian re-entry rules change. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

To answer your question, I am on a Princess cruise right now and will be returning either next Saturday or the following (we may stay on another week). I can let you know how the post cruise testing goes, but we’ll be in LA, not Seattle so it may differ. 

Thanks...just wanting to know how it is going. Since Seattle hasn't had any cruises yet this season, there is nobody that could tell me how it is going in the last few months

1 hour ago, Labber 2 said:

I can totally understand that, my brother and his family are cruising with me, but if they have to pay for PCR tests post cruise it would be quite expensive for them being a family of 4.  If Princess changes this prior to our sailing, I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel and take FCC to use when the Canadian re-entry rules change. 

Ya, it gets pricy when you have a bigger family.  Here is hoping it will be over with soon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stefndoug said:

no flights... i need it for the land border.  I won't pay $250 for a test in Seattle.  That is just about what I paid for our cruise 🙂  If there is a chance that Princess won't do the testing then I plan on not making our final payment.  

Sorry. Thought you meant flight. 

cancel

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stefndoug said:

Based on this statement, I would recommend you not make final payment. Given the rapidly changing policies and procedures relating to Covid, I would say there is a 50/50 chance of just about anything happening over the next several months. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stefndoug said:

According to the Princess Cruises website, they will cover the rapid PCR test after you disembark to get back into Canada.  We are doing the Alaska Sampler (Vancouver to Seattle) in May and according to them (on their live chat)...if it is still required to get home, they will cover it.  Has anyone here (from Canada) used the Princess testing after disembarkation?  Wondering how that went?  I am hesitant to pay our final payment because I have no desire to try to find a testing place in Seattle (and we won't do the Lamp test from SwitchHealth).

Thanks,

Stefani

FWIW, we went through the Princess testing at PE at the end of November. Very mixed up, the testing company personnel were not very impressive and it took us 2.5 hours to get our results. They  only started analyzing our test samples after they had tested everyone first.  If you haven't already done so, I would suggest cross-posting this on the Princess board, as you'll get more up to date responses as to exactly how it is being managed right now. Hopefully things are running smoother than when we went through the process.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

FWIW, we went through the Princess testing at PE at the end of November. Very mixed up, the testing company personnel were not very impressive and it took us 2.5 hours to get our results. They  only started analyzing our test samples after they had tested everyone first.  If you haven't already done so, I would suggest cross-posting this on the Princess board, as you'll get more up to date responses as to exactly how it is being managed right now. Hopefully things are running smoother than when we went through the process.

Thank you.  After the cruise it is still a 2 hour drive and some shopping, so it taking a bit is ok...but it is good to know your experience.  Thank you again 

3 hours ago, stefndoug said:

Thank you.  After the cruise it is still a 2 hour drive and some shopping, so it taking a bit is ok...but it is good to know your experience.  Thank you again 

Since you’re driving, I wonder if you may be able to snag a PCR or antigen before you start your shopping? At this point you’ll likely be provided tests to do at home. Oh, and don’t forget the ArriveCan app. Seems that lack of it has cause issues with CBSA. Someone posted a very positive review about the SwitchHealth product. Their prices are reasonable. But you need to be comfortable doing the procedure and your wifi connection. 

Just now, Tango99 said:

Since you’re driving, I wonder if you may be able to snag a PCR or antigen before you start your shopping? At this point you’ll likely be provided tests to do at home. Oh, and don’t forget the ArriveCan app. Seems that lack of it has cause issues with CBSA. Someone posted a very positive review about the SwitchHealth product. Their prices are reasonable. But you need to be comfortable doing the procedure and your wifi connection. 

i am a pro at the arrivecan app already 🙂  Used it many times.

As for the SwitchHealth product...we have used it...out of our group of 5...2 couldn't make it work, 1 made it work ok and 2 of us had a lot of troubles and just about divorced over it LOL

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 4:01 PM, stefndoug said:

As for the SwitchHealth product...we have used it...out of our group of 5...2 couldn't make it work, 1 made it work ok and 2 of us had a lot of troubles and just about divorced over it LOL

Ha ha! SwitchHealth is definitely not for us then! All these extra steps and paperwork is already driving me nuts! 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 4:01 PM, stefndoug said:

As I expected. 

• Like 1