Rhine water levels 2022 and similar topics

notamermaid

35 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Although Blackpool have had a bit of forward thinking evidently every light bulb has been replaced by LEDs so far their light show is still on.

That is a very good point. In the criticism surrounding the Lumagica lights trail people did not realize that the company uses LED lights which are far "better" than standard bulbs. Electricity used in other ways could present a bigger problem and expense during events in winter.

The sun has come out of the mist and is heating up my flat again nicely. The warm days are giving me more energy personally and I am enjoying the autumn colours that are increasing by the day.

Onto river levels. All good. Looking very pleasantly around the mean but now getting a bit lower in the absence of rain. No problem for river cruise ships. What were we worried that the river would struggle in September and October! Summary of September coming.

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 10:33 AM, notamermaid said:

The sun has come out of the mist and is heating up my flat again nicely. The warm days are giving me more energy personally and I am enjoying the autumn colours that are increasing by the day.

I love the colors of autumn. On our last trip to Germany we caught part of "Goldener Oktober" in Bavaria.  Do you still call a return of warm weather in the fall "Altweibersommer"?

4 hours ago, RDVIK2016 said:

I love the colors of autumn. On our last trip to Germany we caught part of "Goldener Oktober" in Bavaria.  Do you still call a return of warm weather in the fall "Altweibersommer"?

Yes. That word is still used, perhaps not as much as a decade ago, but then you need that kind of weather to hear it often. Some trees near me are changing colour from one side to the other, meaning golden-orange on one and still green with some orange-brown on the other. A bit odd, I think it must be because they are close to a building on one side. The lime trees are the ones giving the real yesslo-gold not far from me and in the sunshine at the weekend it was quite the sight. The horse chestnut trees are shedding their leaves by the bucket load. I enjoy the rustling of walking fast through them when no one is looking, oooh, I am a child at heart.

notamermaid

• Like 1

It is October and time to look back at how the river did at Kaub in September:

image.png.4a36f7b3caa4d35c27ce370876dc58b6.png

The month started with low levels but overall was already doing better than in much of August. Compared with the Danube, this low level corresponded with Pfelling in Bavaria being low, but on the Danube the low led to most river cruise ships not being able to pass through the shallows whereas the situation on the Rhine proved difficult for far fewer river cruise ships. With rainy weather coming to Germany the Rhine just like the Danube improved fast. Kaub continued with ups and downs - without having any further impact of note to cruising - till heavy rain set in at the end of the month. While the Rhine was low for most of September for barge cruising, statistically it was not officially low at Kaub from 11 September. The month turned out to be better than we had feared.

A dry spell is now causing the levels all along the river from Iffezheim into the Netherlands to fall steadily (gauge at Kaub):

image.png.1a9786c590ad0132b595e02acdf3b38d.png

But as you can see the downward trend is slowing and indeed the forecast for Friday afternoon is showing 130cm still, with no likelihood of Kaub falling below 100cm before rain should make it rise again.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Thank you very much notamermaid. So far so good, providing we don't need to visit a doctor!x

Let's hope not. Touch wood. I was in a museum on Friday where they politely asked you via a notice at the door to wear a mask. So far in such places you really do not have to, but it is good to have a mask in your pocket/bag just in case there is a place that does enforce mask-wearing as a house rule. That is what I say to myself. Not sure that anyone does right now, i.e. go beyond the regulations you have read in the link. I did not wear a mask as I find museums too stuffy and there was hardly anybody in the rooms anyway. The two women at the counter did. In the last three days I would say I have seen another uptick in mask-wearing among the general public.

Museum - so what small town was I in? That is for another post. Here are two clues: 1. seven 2. dragon.

Oh, by the way. Weather a bit warm and stuffy. Rain in the air which makes it both pleasant, i.e not cold, but also a bit unpleasant due to the moisture. Autumn colours coming along very nicely. Windy at times, but still leaving enough leaves on the trees to enjoy them.

Kaub gauge: 152cm. Rising fast due to recent rain.

notamermaid

Just now, worldtraveller99 said:

Just a matter of interest - we only have the simple blue masks. If there is a requirement for a type of mask we don't have, do they try and fine you for not wearing that?

I am not sure to how much trouble they go enforcing this with fines. Perhaps they ask you to leave the train? I have not been confronted with the problem, always had a mask or could buy one. These N95 masks should be available in pharmacies and many other outlets, probably even shops in the airport. Could you get a couple at a pharmacy near where you are? Then you could wear what you are comfortable with and (apart from the long distance trains where they probably expect you to know) be the happy tourist that just got it wrong and put the other type on. I am quite relaxed about it all these days, just have an N95 mask in my bag, just like paper handkerchiefs, in case I need one - the mask or the handkerchief.

notamermaid

I used a KN95 mask on trains in Germany; my sister wore a black version of the blue masks. Most people were masked, but mask types varied. No one enforced the requirement. The only time we heard it mentioned was on the train from Strasbourg to Frankfurt, where they announced that 5 minutes after leaving Strasbourg (in France where masks are not required) masks would be required (as we were entering Germany). 

That said we saw almost no masks being worn in France, and not much in Germany except on trains. Burg Eltz required them. 

Unfortunately, when I got home I tested positive, so maybe I should have worn a mask more often. 

• Thanks 1

Just finished two back to back river cruises..one on the seine and the other on the Rhine with two different cruise companies.  We had 4 Covid cases on both ship.  That we know of.  We’ve done 12 river cruises over the years and had credits that had to be used before year end, so we took the chance. It was our choice.
Seriously,  these were not  the most enjoyable cruises.  We agreed we’d be very Covid conscious.  Wear a mask in doors and in crowds, we wouldn’t do excursions on buses just guided walking tours around villages and tried to distance.  Meals were a nightmare!  A couple of drinks in and everyone was shouting.  Not many wore masks even after the cases were went public.  On one ship the staff wore masks, mind you not properly, the other didn’t at all.  
Fingers crossed we did enough to avoid the virus.  We had done these itineraries before so it was nice to just get away.  

Just returned from a 3-week trip to Germany and France.  First week visiting wife's home town and region Black Forest).  Plenty of masks in Southern Germany (required on trains and buses). Boarded a river cruise (our 7th) in Strasbourg mid-second week which we chose because it was a small ship and only 60% booked; meaning somewhere around 70 total passengers.  Thought was there would be plenty of room and thus lower Covid risk. Wrong.

Upon boarding the ship we found the passengers were primarily comprised of two large groups (25+ passengers each).  Both groups publicly lamented that their cruises were finally happening after two years of Covid-related postponement. Alarmingly, both groups were also had a noticeably high incidence of members with uncontrolled (or masked) coughs and respiratory maladies. Beginning with the safety meeting, it was clear this was going to be a challenge.  First buffet meal was frightening.  Unmasked coughing into hands followed by handling serving utensils and lids. Bus tour, the only one we took was full  and barely a mask on the vehicle - lot of coughing.

Only one bus tour because we chose to not board the bus the next day and I tested positive for Covid on day 4.  I voluntarily took a test and immediately reported a positive result. Ship did not ask to see test results that day or the next 4.  Last day, day of debarkation, I tested negative, but was never asked to show test strip before allowed back into population.  Wife and I confined to our cabin essentially 5 of the 9 cruise days. Ship did assign us a butler to deliver meals while we were quarantined, but cruise manager not once inquired if we were well or had needs.  All-in-all an expensive way to increase one's antibodies.

6 hours ago, stmartins said:

Just finished two back to back river cruises..one on the seine and the other on the Rhine with two different cruise companies.  

Apart from the challenges avoiding Covid, how did you enjoy the Rhine cruise? Would you like to share any excursions you liked or special places that you had not been to on a previous occasion? What river cruise company was it on the Rhine?

River level: Kaub gauge at 161cm. All good, not too low and not too high anywhere along the river.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I am so sorry to hear this Worksheet. What sort of groups were they - big families or groups of friends? Was there masking on the ship? I do hope you both were not too ill and are feeling much better now?

Both groups appeared to be mix of family and friends.  Interestingly, bot had their travel agents in tow.  Wife never got Covid.  I felt achy w/sore throat 2 day.  Felt fine, but lethargic tail end few days in Frankfurt.

2 hours ago, Worksheet said:

Both groups appeared to be mix of family and friends.  Interestingly, bot had their travel agents in tow.  Wife never got Covid.  I felt achy w/sore throat 2 day.  Felt fine, but lethargic tail end few days in Frankfurt.

Thank you for being a considerate responsible person.  I wish you many future healthy cruises.  

@Worksheet Thank you for sharing your experience. I would say there were somewhat inconsiderate passengers on your cruise. I had the similar "group experience" in that they tended to be too loud, too focussed on themselves. Happened long before Covid but the experience of that mentality stuck with me. While there is no directive or regulation to self-isolate, you can even go to your office when you are positive and feeling fine, in such close confinements as a river cruise ship it should be the norm to not eat in the main dining room when you are coughing and sneezing a lot. I hope other cruisers are as considerate as you were on the ships that are currently sailing.

5 hours ago, Worksheet said:

Ship did assign us a butler to deliver meals while we were quarantined, but cruise manager not once inquired if we were well or had needs.

I reckon he/she was expecting to hear from the butler if you needed anything. Still, it would have looked better if the CD had inquired actively in my opinion.

Good to read that you felt better relatively quickly, although it sounds like you lacked the energy to enjoy Frankfurt.

notamermaid

"Light stands for the joy of living"

This is the (my) translation of a quote from this article on saving energy and events that use light, especially the Christmas markets, but also the tradition of towns putting up Christmas trees in winter: https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/regional/nordrheinwestfalen/wdr-story-51195.html

On 10/10/2022 at 4:33 PM, notamermaid said:

In the criticism surrounding the Lumagica lights trail people did not realize that the company uses LED lights which are far "better" than standard bulbs. Electricity used in other ways could present a bigger problem and expense during events in winter.

Again we read in the article linked to above that LED lights do not use much energy. It is an interesting thought in that article. The event "Herbstleuchten" in Hamm uses lights that cost 45 euros to run on an evening. When you consider that more than 1000 people attend every evening who then leave the lights off at home, this actually (purely speaking about lights I reckon) saves energy.

Just a reassuring take from the article: lights may go off a little earlier in towns and cities but most authorities are determined to put lighting up as in previous years - at least in North-Rhine Westphalia.

notamermaid

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisr said:

I was wondering what the papers/news outlets in Germany are saying about Christmas markets being cancelled or hours cut?

I have been wondering that myself. So far I have not read of anything or heard anything through work other than that some authorities might reduce the lights or reduce the hours they are lit. I will keep my ears open and try and get some info from papers. Not a fan of reading German newspapers these days, but one has to keep informed about this most essential of custom that are the markets of course.

Actually, glancing at the papers the other day, I read that our chancellor has decided (after a big debate) to keep three nuclear power stations running for longer. Have not looked at details but it would appear that this should keep the lights on in Germany for longer... What has been noticed is that the sale of electric heaters has gone up as people are worried about having the gas central heating turned off due to lack of natural gas supply.

Not a problem on a river cruise ship of course. Should the worse come to worst I will try and convince a river cruise company that they need me on board to report for a travel magazine or newspaper.

notamermaid

• Like 2

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Should the worse come to worst I will try and convince a river cruise company that they need me on board to report for a travel magazine or newspaper.

notamermaid

If you need a reference, I’m here for you!  🌟