Emergency airlift?

Sunflower & The Scientist

In 2011 my husband’s artificial hip dislocated on the second day of our Panama Canal cruise out of San Diego.   At my request to consider evacuating him by Coast Guard helicopter, the captain agreed to turn the ship around to get within range of the San Diego-based rescue crew.   Although heavily sedated, my husband was greatly impressed with the kindness and competence of the crew who hoisted him into the helicopter and flew him back to San Diego.  I remained on the ship until we docked in Cabo San Lucas two days later.  Those were among the longest and most worrisome days of my life.   The doctors in San Diego corrected the problem and sent my husband home to MN.  I packed up all of our belongings and got myself home from Cabo.  A few days later I received a phone call from the President of the cruise line inquiring about my husband’s condition, a call that was certainly unexpected but greatly appreciated.  We have taken many cruises since that episode even knowing the potential hazards.  We are planning for a Mediterranean cruise this spring and, for the first time, will have Medjet coverage.  That seems wise.   

Just wanted to share a personal experience with airlift evacuations.  They are common and so many thanks to those who carry out the rescues!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiritRiver said:

Just wanted to share a personal experience with airlift evacuations.  They are common and so many thanks to those who carry out the rescues!

You clearly experienced one, but I wouldn't say they are common.

I spent 37 years at sea, with 28 yrs in command, mostly on passenger ships, and I only experienced 1 helo evacuation operation. It wasn't an actual crew/pax evacuation, but a joint training exercise with Canadian Forces, giving them experience should the need arise.

We actually used helos more frequently to remove and return liferafts for annual servicing, doing this once per year on my last ship.

• Like 1