Covid Testing for Back-to-Back Cruises?

lodimom

We are booked on the May 5th Rhine and Viking Shores and Fjords.  I was wondering about Covid testing on the day we transfer from the ocean cruise to the river cruise in Amsterdam.  I have been told by two different Viking agents that the PCR test we will have the morning we leave the ocean cruise will permit us to board the river cruise, but we will still be required to have another Covid test and remain in our river cruise cabin until that second Covid test of the day is negative.  I am a retired public health professional and support Viking's efforts to avoid Covid on its cruises.  I just don't understand the need for Viking to test us twice in one morning.  

Am I missing something?  Have any of you booked on the earlier April 21st Rhine and Viking Shores and Fjords cruise  received any information about this?  I  understand that our cruise is still three months away and that protocols may completely change by then.

25 minutes ago, lodimom said:

We are booked on the May 5th Rhine and Viking Shores and Fjords.  I was wondering about Covid testing on the day we transfer from the ocean cruise to the river cruise in Amsterdam.  I have been told by two different Viking agents that the PCR test we will have the morning we leave the ocean cruise will permit us to board the river cruise, but we will still be required to have another Covid test and remain in our river cruise cabin until that second Covid test of the day is negative.  I am a retired public health professional and support Viking's efforts to avoid Covid on its cruises.  I just don't understand the need for Viking to test us twice in one morning.  

Am I missing something?  Have any of you booked on the earlier April 21st Rhine and Viking Shores and Fjords cruise  received any information about this?  I  understand that our cruise is still three months away and that protocols may completely change by then.

We are doing the April 21-May 5 B2B same cruises.  I was wondering about this as well.

Two thoughts:  it is easier for Viking to just test every single person for the 2nd cruise - no exceptions.  Another thought is that you could leave the first cruise, wander around Amsterdam all day and then come back to the River Cruise, so they don't know where you've been and it would make sense then to group you as having just arrived.

Yes - protocols could still change - especially the being locked in your room for 6 hours when you get on board.

Our plans if this is indeed true, is to take our bags to the River Cruise, NOT get on board, and then go out touring Amsterdam.  Then when we come back in late afternoon, we'll have to of course get tested and be kept in our room for the rest of the evening.

When you finish a cruise the PCR test results you are given on departure are from the morning before disembarkation.  You do not need to provide a saliva sample on the morning of disembarkation.  Sometimes the results are from two days before depending on the number of people they have to test and how quickly they can produce the reports. Viking has to process all the saliva samples, print your results and deliver them to your room on your last evening on board.  Your test results can be as old as the people flying in.  You may not be going through airports or on planes but Viking does not know where you were or what you did between that last Ocean test and boarding River.  If testing and quarantining until results received is required on River, then you have no choice to comply.  If you don't want to lose a day of sightseeing, then board River when you are ready to retire to your room and unpack.

Edited by TayanaLorna
Adds
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

When you finish a cruise the PCR test results you are given on departure are from the morning before disembarkation.  You do not need to provide a saliva sample on the morning of disembarkation.  Sometimes the results are from two days before depending on the number of people they have to test and how quickly they can produce the reports. Viking has to process all the saliva samples, print your results and deliver them to your room on your last evening on board.  Your test results can be as old as the people flying in.  You may not be going through airports or on planes but Viking does not know where you were or what you did between that last Ocean test and boarding River.  If testing and quarantining until results received is required on River, then you have no choice to comply.  If you don't want to lose a day of sightseeing, then board River when you are ready to retire to your room and unpack.

Well stated, Lorna!   Exactly our thoughts - they have no idea where you go when you get off the Ocean ship.  They have to treat everyone as if they just arrive in Amsterdam.   And that is our plan - to board late in the day after sightseeing, as the river cruise does not leave until 11 PM.

Thanks so much for everyone's help with this!  I misunderstood and thought we would have a Covid test the morning we disembarked from the ocean cruise.  That's why I was confused.  I  also really like the idea of dropping off our bags at the river cruise ship and then having some time on our own in Amsterdam before we board.   Thanks again for the information and help!

• Like 1