How’s Covid cases on cruises?

Mr and Mrs C

12 minutes ago, icft said:

Conspiracy theorist? That is just the way it is. There is no reasonable way to track each cruiser once they leave the ship. I would not want them to even try because in addition to being very costly it would produce no meaningful information.

So yes, there are some folks that catch covid on a cruise who are not counted. And there are some folks who catch covid on the flight to the cruise and show symptoms while on board who are counted as cruise covids. That is just the way it is. No conspiracy involved.

The conspiracy that all numbers are bogus since the beginning of time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The conspiracy that all numbers are bogus since the beginning of time.

Bogus is probably has some inappropriate connotations, but all the covid data has been consistently bad. You may remember when Dr. Deborah Birx said "There is nothing from the CDC that I can trust." Implementing good data gathering systems at the drop of a hat is not possible and while the CDC should always have had such systems in place they didn't do their job pre-covid and are now trying to build systems from scratch (they are still trying). So the data is bad.

I have to assume even to those who VERY strongly believe in, support and get behind all the Covid rules/theories...that even those have to be able to see that along this 3 year journey there have been MANY changes of rules of thought, lots of back and forth, changing of minds, positions and theories....so assuming one is able to believe that...it can't be out of the relm of possibilities that further information currently believed could one day prove to be inaccurate too....right?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, icft said:

Bogus is probably has some inappropriate connotations, but all the covid data has been consistently bad. You may remember when Dr. Deborah Birx said "There is nothing from the CDC that I can trust." Implementing good data gathering systems at the drop of a hat is not possible and while the CDC should always have had such systems in place they didn't do their job pre-covid and are now trying to build systems from scratch (they are still trying). So the data is bad.

I don't think there is much from that time period that has credibility. The CDC data on the best day was only as good as what the states (cough) reported. Remember - no testing, no covid. of course, sabotaging the system didn't help, either. For an interesting read on Trump's covid czar

https://www.science.org/content/article/inside-story-how-trumps-covid-19-coordinator-undermined-cdc

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

I have to assume even to those who VERY strongly believe in, support and get behind all the Covid rules/theories...that even those have to be able to see that along this 3 year journey there have been MANY changes of rules of thought, lots of back and forth, changing of minds, positions and theories....so assuming one is able to believe that...it can't be out of the relm of possibilities that further information currently believed could one day prove to be inaccurate too....right?

As more data comes in, theories evolve. It is how it works. Too bad we can't start on day 1 with the end instead of the beginning. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kdr69 said:

What i mean is that logically if a cruise ship sails 7 day itineraries then every 7 days that ship should start off as green for the next voyage because there should be no cases on board to report or investigate since all the cases reported were from the previous cruise.  Hardly ever do they return to Green status.

You have to factor in the crew.  They stay on the ship after the passengers debark.  

On 2/7/2022 at 1:45 PM, crewsweeper said:

From reviews I've read, Carnival seems to be holding up fairly well vs Omicron.  That's not to say there haven't been cases, but rather the protocols have helped to keep to down significantly.

For Canadians, it's going to be a matter of whether or not Mr. Trudeau decides to lift things.  Based on the Truckers  protest, I'd be reluctant to say he will.

As far as catching Omicron, doesn't matter whether or not you are vaxed , unvaxed, masked or unmasked,  had the Original or Delta or not, the pesky thing still seems to seep through.  For most people it's akin to a slight fever or bad head cold in effect.  But those who have immune compromised issues or premorbidic conditions, "milder" may simply be less severe than Delta.

Lifts what?  The PCR test for the way home?  That's literally the only thing that will affect us at all, contrary to what 'the truckers' want you to think.  Not wanting to get into a debate, but the way they talk you'd think we had some Australia level lockdowns going on here.  We do not.  Americans expect us to be vaccinated and test to come into the US which is fine by me (the same test can be used for boarding the cruise because of the timeline of 24/48), that has nothing to do with Trudeau.

Edited by WorkerBee74

16 hours ago, WorkerBee74 said:

Lifts what?  The PCR test for the way home?  That's literally the only thing that will affect us at all, contrary to what 'the truckers' want you to think.  Not wanting to get into a debate, but the way they talk you'd think we had some Australia level lockdowns going on here.  We do not.  Americans expect us to be vaccinated and test to come into the US which is fine by me (the same test can be used for boarding the cruise because of the timeline of 24/48), that has nothing to do with Trudeau.

The PCR test for the return trip and the possible PCR test upon landing in Canada.  You are required to quarantine until the results come back.  They say up to 3 days. I've seen some people say theirs has taken longer. 

Edited by 1kaper

Was on the Mardi Gras last week, both my sister-in-law and myself positive for Covid four days off the ship.  Vax and boosted.  She is fine with slight congestion, and I have a cough.  My husband has a chronic cough so not sure he would know if he had covid.  I had a PCR test yesterday and he is going today.  Yes, we all wore masks.  

On 2/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, 1kaper said:

I am also Canadian but I am planning to cruise next month.  
I have been following pretty closely for the past few months.  There are no doubt cases on board.  How bad, I don't know. 
But I have been surprised that no Carnival cruises have been cancelled I am aware of (a couple other cruise lines have).  And not many ports being missed. 
I thought it was going to be far worse than what I've been seeing.  But who knows if it will continue the same way. I sure am hoping. 
I am more concerned about contracting COVID  with the Omicron variant than I was when I originally booked but we are vaxxed and boosted and have purchased insurance to cover us if we end up having to stay in the US for extra time.  I also have the work time figured out. 

What insurance did you buy to cover the unexpected stay? Only one I found was Manulife; did you find more? Also a Canadian.

1 hour ago, remydiva said:

What insurance did you buy to cover the unexpected stay? Only one I found was Manulife; did you find more? Also a Canadian.

I didn’t buy it yet but I’m planning to buy the Manulife.