Viking Homelands 2022 Season

NeilP57

5 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Has anyone on a Homelands Cruise been able to book excursions? If so, what date are you sailing? Getting a bit frustrating as we are a week past due when our window was supposed to open. No problem booking Dining options, just excursions. Patience, patience……

A recent roll call posting for the 5/19 departure reads:

"I just spoke with a Viking Rep about the new itinerary and the fact that there aren't any excursions listed in MyVikingJourney for Oslo, Bornholm, or Mariehamn. He said that there MIGHT be excursions added 30 days out but that the plan now is for passengers to have a day at leisure in each port OR Viking could possibly add excursions and inform us once we are on the ship."

This makes it sound like they were able to book for everything except the new ports. For our 6/22 departure there is nothing at all yet and it is time, IMHO, for the natives to get restless. Given that Viking makes so much noise about options for every port one must wonder if they are prepared to throw some additional bones if they are unable to live up to their marketing.

16 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Has anyone on a Homelands Cruise been able to book excursions? If so, what date are you sailing? Getting a bit frustrating as we are a week past due when our window was supposed to open. No problem booking Dining options, just excursions. Patience, patience……

We have booked all excursions except for the added ports. There are none listed yet for the two days in Oslo, the day in Bornholm or the day in Mariehamn. We are on the May 6 sailing - the first of the Homelands cruises for the season.

7 minutes ago, duquephart said:

If you would be willing to cut/paste what was available that would be much appreciated by those who have nothing yet.

Sorry, I don't have time to do that now but you can get a good idea from the Viking website. Most, but not all of the excursions are the same. https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/viking-homelands/2022-stockholm-bergen/index.html

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, duquephart said:

That helps and is what we were counting on. Thanks!

Here are the options we have for the May 6 sailing. They are broken down by port.

Homelands Excursion Options May 6 Sailing Bergen.pdf Homelands Excursion Options May 6 Sailing Eidfjord.pdf Homelands Excursion Options May 6 Sailing Stavanger.pdf Homelands Excursion Options May 6 Sailing Alborg.pdf

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, duquephart said:

A recent roll call posting for the 5/19 departure reads:

"I just spoke with a Viking Rep about the new itinerary and the fact that there aren't any excursions listed in MyVikingJourney for Oslo, Bornholm, or Mariehamn. He said that there MIGHT be excursions added 30 days out but that the plan now is for passengers to have a day at leisure in each port OR Viking could possibly add excursions and inform us once we are on the ship."

This makes it sound like they were able to book for everything except the new ports. For our 6/22 departure there is nothing at all yet and it is time, IMHO, for the natives to get restless. Given that Viking makes so much noise about options for every port one must wonder if they are prepared to throw some additional bones if they are unable to live up to their marketing.

‘Some additional bones?’ Are you hoping for monetary recompense? I’m quite sure Viking will provide excursions for the added ports of call. I will be on this cruise in July and with the current situation in Ukraine, I count myself very fortunate. Cut Viking a bit of slack please.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, duquephart said:

Thanks much. A huge ommission I note is no Flam train tour out of Eidfjord. That was a "don't miss" for us.

It might be offered on your sailing. We wanted the Dale of Norway tour which isn't being offered on our sailing but I have heard that it is on some other sailings. I just thought it might be helpful to see what we are being offered and the prices for those optional excursions. That's what I really want to know about Oslo so that we can plan our two days on our pre-extension appropriately. It is beginning to look like we will not know until we board the ship.

Wondering about the use of the vouchers that were given for pre-cruise expenses if the Shore Excursions for 5/19 do not get posted before Embarkation?  We have way too much voucher $ left after the 125% from the COVID cancelation in 2020, and the StPB, Talin & Helsinki  excursion cancelations.

7 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Shouldn't the excursion cancellations be in cash?

I believe that they refund in the manner in which you pay. So if you had voucher money left and used that to pay for excursions that were then canceled you would get the voucher back. We paid via e-check and they refunded with ACH back to our bank accounts.

NEWS!

Unfortunately, no notice from Viking, but I just happened on these:

New Excursions are now live on the Homelands May 20 departure. I have to assume they may be available for other departures as well. Options now listed for Oslo, Ronne, and new additions for Gdańsk and some other ports. Get them while their hot!

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Excursions are now up for 6/22. And Flam is there!

Can you post a description of that?   We are on a midnight sun cruise that ends in Bergen in July.  We are adding a 2 day Bergen extension and I was looking at a Flam train run but if it is offered through Viking that might simplify things versus having our travel agent book it separately albeit a price difference.

Edited by zalusky

4 hours ago, zalusky said:

Can you post a description of that?   We are on a midnight sun cruise that ends in Bergen in July.  We are adding a 2 day Bergen extension and I was looking at a Flam train run but if it is offered through Viking that might simplify things versus having our travel agent book it separately albeit a price difference.

Marvel at Norway’s stunning beauty during a full-day excursion to Flåm, one of its most scenic coastal villages. You will find the countryside as breathtaking as your destination as you ride by motor coach from the pristine shores of Hardangerfjord to Sognefjord, crossing scenic mountain passes and driving through manmade tunnels along the way. Enjoy traveling through picturesque woodland to the spectacular Tvinde Waterfall cascading down the steep cliffside. After a short stroll in the fresh air to get close to the waterfall, we will continue our drive to Flåm. Then, board the Flåm Railway for a thrilling experience as you climb nearly 3,000 feet through 20 tunnels and over numerous bridges. Change trains at Myrdal and continue through more spectacular vistas, alighting in Voss, set amid snowcapped mountains, forests, lakes and rivers. Stop for a delicious lunch at its famous hotel before returning to your ship through more beautiful scenery via motor coach.

Just now, duquephart said:

Marvel at Norway’s stunning beauty during a full-day excursion to Flåm, one of its most scenic coastal villages. You will find the countryside as breathtaking as your destination as you ride by motor coach from the pristine shores of Hardangerfjord to Sognefjord, crossing scenic mountain passes and driving through manmade tunnels along the way. Enjoy traveling through picturesque woodland to the spectacular Tvinde Waterfall cascading down the steep cliffside. After a short stroll in the fresh air to get close to the waterfall, we will continue our drive to Flåm. Then, board the Flåm Railway for a thrilling experience as you climb nearly 3,000 feet through 20 tunnels and over numerous bridges. Change trains at Myrdal and continue through more spectacular vistas, alighting in Voss, set amid snowcapped mountains, forests, lakes and rivers. Stop for a delicious lunch at its famous hotel before returning to your ship through more beautiful scenery via motor coach.

Thanks what is the cost and how is it listed?  IE is it an option for the overnight start/end cruise day in Bergen?   Do they show any excursions for the 2 day extension?   Do they indicate how long the day is?

40 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Thanks what is the cost and how is it listed?  IE is it an option for the overnight start/end cruise day in Bergen?   Do they show any excursions for the 2 day extension?   Do they indicate how long the day is?

It's an excursion out of Eidfjord on our Viking Homelands cruise. Probably offered on other itineraries as well. It's not, of course, the only way to experience the Flam RR. Search "Norway in a Nutshell Flam" and you'll find tours which include Flam out of Bergen and elsewhere.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, duquephart said:

It's an excursion out of Eidfjord on our Viking Homelands cruise. Probably offered on other itineraries as well. It's not, of course, the only way to experience the Flam RR. Search "Norway in a Nutshell Flam" and you'll find tours which include Flam out of Bergen and elsewhere.

https://www.norwaynutshell.com/original-tour/?_gl=1*1xnzn60*_ga*MjI3MjAzNjEwLjE2NDkyMjY0NzE.*_ga_989RXZWRV3*MTY0OTM5MzQ3My44LjEuMTY0OTM5MzQ4My4w&_ga=2.131660047.1699264593.1649226471-227203610.1649226471&_gac=1.216543716.1649393474.Cj0KCQjwl7qSBhD-ARIsACvV1X1uvLQmWlLdoWCLlvBlHjl-LY3GfZWMw6Sgf1SapE0bLtEa8Or070caAjw8EALw_wcB