I need money.....that's what I want. Barrett Strong 1959

Petoonya

OK, so I was 7 when he sang it. But the song's been so potent over the years, that even if you're very young, most of you must recognize.

It's what I think of in asking tour operators when to pay up for a cruise coming up in August and another in October. They don't want my money until shortly before I cruise. Have others found that to be true? It breaks my heart wondering how these people are surviving not earning an income and not knowing where the next bit of change is coming from. Not so true two years ago. Wasn't unusual to be making deposits 6 months and even earlier.

I spend so much time feeling sorry for myself having had several cruises canceled, forgetting the people most affected. They need muh-uh-uh-ney.

Edited by Petoonya

With the way cruises change/cancel ports at the last minute, I won't pay tour operators until the actual tour.  I know they're hurting, but why should I send money where I don't even know I'm going?

Or I book through toursbylocals, which although it takes a commission protects both me and the vendor.  When our Caribbean cruise dropped Martinique, they refunded by money on the spot.

Agree with you Host J. My comment was partially related to it being a sign of the times with ports and cruises canceled. And subsequent need to hold onto our tour dollars until as late as possible. Three years ago it was often necessary to put money down months in advance to hold a position in a group.

Tour operators have had to be versatile in keeping up a source of income. I correspond with a young woman and tour operator who has both opened an elder care facility and takes in laundry in the last two years. She's doing alright, but misses her previous livelihood.

Sometimes I get wrapped up in, " I want to be on a boat, " and forget there are a lot of people want me to be on that boat too. They may be going without until these ships sail full again.

• Like 2

The past 2 years have been hard for many people. Travel industry has had many problems.  With all the travel cancelled or changed, ,many travel industry people have been forced to find other lines of work.  I had a great TA at a big online agency before pandemic who I had booked with many times.  He was a great agent who gave us good service and fair prices. His service was amazing. At the start of the cruise stoppage in 2020, he was let go.  Next agent was highly recommended by friends who had used her for 20+ years. She was excellent.  Prompt service and good prices. Booked several future trips with her.  Called last week to book a trip. No response. Email... nothing.  Monday got email from another TA at that agency. She was taking over for my agent who had resigned?     She recently became an agent.  Made an inquiry about a future cruise.  She made a booking yesterday in our name at a higher than published price in a cabin location that she picked.  She didn't even match the published price in her agency"s website. I never gave her an ok to do either.  Now that there is a booking with my name on it, I can't price it with anyone else. Cannot even book it directly with WS.  It's a 7for7 and I would like to take the trip.  This agent makes me feel uncomfortable.    Obviously I need a new agency.  My gut says to forget this cruise and this agency.