A day in Southampton

globalgertie

My wife got this from her friend who is a tour guide for St Michael's.  I don't think there is any harm in quoting it in full, except for names:

Hello xxxx

Have just seen your enquiry about St Michael's.

The only tours of the church are the ones I am doing by request for groups who would like them. They are not therefore done on a regular basis. As there are church services on Sundays that is a day when I have not been doing tours.

If you can let me know the reason for the enquiry I could ask the church warden if a tour on a Sunday afternoon would be a possibility - it would be entirely a matter for the church and would not be possible anyway if here were baptisms. The other day I do not take tours is Monday and that is because that is the day German cruise ships come into Southampton and the church can get very busy with German tourists making it impractical to take a group round on a guided tour.

So, as I read that, it might be possible to arrange, but probably not for an individual or couple, and it would depend on what else was happening in the Church.  As "Book Bug" pointed out, it being Remembrance Sunday will mean there is, in the morning at least.

What I also thought interesting was the reference to German tourists from cruise ships on Mondays.  It sounds like they have visiting the church quite high on their list, whereas Cunard make little mention of it.

As it is quite possible our US members do not know what I mean by Remembrance Sunday, here is a link
Remembrance Sunday | Remembrance Events | Royal British Legion

Edited by WestonOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I endorse the suggestion of heading to Portsmouth.

Take the train to Portsmouth Harbour station and you are right in the thick of much of the extensive maritime heritage there. 

Frankly, Southampton, as a tourist destination is a bit weak, compared with other easy-access locations such as Winchester, Portsmouth and (for the beaches) Bournemouth. Salisbury for the Cathedral (don't bother with Stonehenge unless you're really keen on it; the only thing to be said is it is that it is pre-historic).

How's this for a circular day out tour:

Take the frequent train to Poole. Stroll through the old town down to the quay. Take the scenic ferry to Swanage.

If the wx is good, lunch on the beach, else a local fish & chip meal in a nice pub. Then take the Swanage Steam railway to Corfe Castle (a steep but fascinating Norman ruin). Refresh at The Fox tavern.Then the bus to Wareham, where you take the frequent train back to Southampton.

Now that's lots to do and see.

Edited by Canuker

7 hours ago, Canuker said:

I endorse the suggestion of heading to Portsmouth.

Take the train to Portsmouth Harbour station and you are right in the thick of much of the extensive maritime heritage there. 

Frankly, Southampton, as a tourist destination is a bit weak, compared with other easy-access locations such as Winchester, Portsmouth and (for the beaches) Bournemouth. Salisbury for the Cathedral (don't bother with Stonehenge unless you're really keen on it; the only thing to be said is it is that it is pre-historic).

How's this for a circular day out tour:

Take the frequent train to Poole. Stroll through the old town down to the quay. Take the scenic ferry to Swanage.

If the wx is good, lunch on the beach, else a local fish & chip meal in a nice pub. Then take the Swanage Steam railway to Corfe Castle (a steep but fascinating Norman ruin). Refresh at The Fox tavern.Then the bus to Wareham, where you take the frequent train back to Southampton.

Now that's lots to do and see.

As a local, I couldn't disagree more. Southampton is nicer than all the places mentioned, except Salisbury, and infinitely more convenient, especially in this era of train strikes. There really is plenty to occupy you in Southampton for a day. The tour outlined seems very ambitious. I wouldn't think of risking it if I had a ship to catch.

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

As a local, ..... The tour outlined seems very ambitious. I wouldn't think of risking it if I had a ship to catch.

As another local, I'd agree.  I have been to all of the places mentioned, but tended to do a full day at each.  Going to Corfe Castle, for example, I would regard as a day out in its own right.    And I kept that distinct from the swanage-corfe steam train, which was also a separate event, though to be fair, that was a  special meal on the train last time I did it. 

Not on the suggested tour, but I would say if you are going round Portsmouth dockyards, you would be wasting your entrance fee not to spend at least 4 hours there.  A slightly less well known place in Portsmouth which is worth a visit lasting a few hours is Fort Nelson on Portsdown Hill,  if you have an interest in military matters.  (If not, best pass on that one!)  You will need to take a taxi or have your own transport, though - it is not very accessible otherwise.

Edited by WestonOne
Added Fort Nelson
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 1:08 AM, exlondoner said:

As a local, I couldn't disagree more. Southampton is nicer than all the places mentioned, except Salisbury, and infinitely more convenient, especially in this era of train strikes. There really is plenty to occupy you in Southampton for a day. The tour outlined seems very ambitious. I wouldn't think of risking it if I had a ship to catch.

Any recommendation for a hotel in Southampton the night before our departure?  We will spend several days in London before our cruise but I’ve got a thing about not rushing the day of boarding so will come down to Southampton the night before.  My husband definitely wants to go to the air museum there!

7 minutes ago, RATTER said:

Any recommendation for a hotel in Southampton the night before our departure?  We will spend several days in London before our cruise but I’ve got a thing about not rushing the day of boarding so will come down to Southampton the night before.  My husband definitely wants to go to the air museum there!

Many will recommend "Southampton Harbour", which is probably the most luxurious hotel and very close to the port. It probably has more facilities and restaurants than others.

We stayed at "Room2 Hometel".  It was very nice, and suited our 'functional' style more. It also seemed homely with families staying but no noisy children running around. It was also much cheaper than Harbour. There were some meals available in the hotel but we chose to eat at nearby Max's Brasserie in Oxford St. And took breakfast at The White Star Tavern, where there was a wide choice of cooked breakfasts served to table. Many of those in the Tavern for breakfast appeared to be cruisers that were staying there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RATTER said:

Southampton Harbour Hotel.

• Like 2

We have always been happy with the Premier Inn for a one night stay.  There is one near West Quay Shopping Centre  - handy for any last minute requirements - and is also close to the Duke Of Wellington Pub (fish and chips) and the Pig In The Wall restaurant/bar.  It's just a few minutes taxi ride to the port.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, amias said:

We have always been happy with the Premier Inn for a one night stay.  There is one near West Quay Shopping Centre  - handy for any last minute requirements - and is also close to the Duke Of Wellington Pub (fish and chips) and the Pig In The Wall restaurant/bar.  It's just a few minutes taxi ride to the port.  

And it is also right next to the heart of the Old Town area, so an excellent location for just wandering about.

• Like 2