The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

9 minutes ago, janusk said:

If you are a non-US pax you will not receive luggage tags nor Haven letter. Actually, they won´t even send you an email. Still wondering why we Europeans are being treated like this by NCL. 
We are travelling on NCL Getaway in Haven July 12th, and this was the answer I got from the Concierge desk after asking them : 

Hi Janus,

We apologize for the inconvenience. Because of time differences, long distance calling, and limitations in assisting with your reservation due to foreign currencies, we do not reach out to international guests. However, your Concierge and Butler will be happy to assist with all your needs once onboard. 

So apparently the time difference makes it difficult sending an e-mail to your best paying customers telling them that you are excited that they chose you as their vacation choice..... Go figure....

Wow! Well, you know those long distance emails are just quite expensive. NCL (I know other lines are too) really is a bottom feeding sack of a corporation.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, knscruiser322 said:

Stayed up till Midnight because the shows became available for Haven at 26 days. 

The NCL website and app were crashing like crazy. I had to call the main reservation desk to book my shows since the Haven Concierge was already closed at that time. Luckily I got the showtimes I want. Now I can rework one of my specialty dining to another day now.

I still remember having to book these shows with the rush of people ON BOARD the ship pre-COVID. So glad they allow us to book entertainment now before cruising. 

Is this really an issue in the Haven? We were at the tail end of COVID last year, so maybe that's why, but we got every reservation we wanted via the onboard concierge which we contacted after boarding. (And there was only one other person in the line...) I was kind of thinking about just doing my entertainment/dining reservations once we boarded (Doesn't hurt that I missed the 125 day window because I switched sailing dates (went from one just outside penalty, to one just inside penalty))

1 minute ago, Grimix said:

Is this really an issue in the Haven? We were at the tail end of COVID last year, so maybe that's why, but we got every reservation we wanted via the onboard concierge which we contacted after boarding. (And there was only one other person in the line...) I was kind of thinking about just doing my entertainment/dining reservations once we boarded (Doesn't hurt that I missed the 125 day window because I switched sailing dates (went from one just outside penalty, to one just inside penalty))

My experience is that they keep a number of seats for Haven passengers, and that you can ask the concierge on the day of the show. Appx 30 minutes before the show they will take you down to the theatre to the reserved area. But it might have changed?

Seats for the Main NCL Shows for Haven Guests: This topic has been debated and rehashed over and over again.  Allow me to help all worried about going to any Main Theatre Show on a Large NCL Ship.  If you are in the Haven, I have cruised the Haven many, many times, you will NOT be turned down entry to any show.  The Haven Area which is roped off until just before the show stares, is NEVER fully filled up.  

On other shows in small venues, it is first come, first served. Haven has no priority not matter what any one tells you.  Sorry for the attitude here.  My focus is always on Realistic Expectations.  

While we are on the subject.  Changing of Specialty Restaurant Reservations when onboard if you are in the Haven.  I have done this three times.  I got the change two of the three times and had a reservation 30 minutes later on the third.  No guarantees on this one but the premium you pay for the Haven usually comes through.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Grimix said:

22 minutes ago, janusk said:

My experience is that they keep a number of seats for Haven passengers, and that you can ask the concierge on the day of the show. Appx 30 minutes before the show they will take you down to the theatre to the reserved area. But it might have changed?

I haven't sailed since COVID and this is the first time sailing in the Haven so I'm not sure what changed. But honestly why chance it right? I do know that the 26 days applies to Haven and also Platinum Tier & above members as well.

23 minutes ago, knscruiser322 said:

I haven't sailed since COVID and this is the first time sailing in the Haven so I'm not sure what changed. But honestly why chance it right? I do know that the 26 days applies to Haven and also Platinum Tier & above members as well.

I will say, We cruised in April in the Haven on the Joy, and tried to make a dinner reservation on board maybe 2 days in and could not get into cagneys! not a big deal as we have eaten there many times, and gave us a chance to try the BBQ place which we all loved along with the great band that was playing. 

• Like 3

Just wanted to pop in and say how much I am enjoying this thread. I am currently on page 12! We upgraded to the Haven last week on our Mediterranean cruise this August on the Getaway. This will be our third time in the Haven.  Our experiences have been great! I am already composing a letter to the Butler and plan on giving him or her some of the tip up front. Thanks for all of the great "tips". Carry on!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

We cruised in April in the Haven on the Joy, and tried to make a dinner reservation on board maybe 2 days in and could not get into cagneys

I think the bigger the ship the more difficult it might be, especially if it's maybe during spring break time and the ship is full. When you have 4,400+ people on the ship and most of them have free dining in their package then availability is going to just be slim everywhere... that's one of the reasons we booked Haven for the 4th of July cruise.

Also, it seems Cagney's just fills up faster, maybe because everyone knows what to expect there. That's the only specialty that doesn't have totally open availability for my TA in the fall, and there are 2 different nights that it's fairly booked up... all sorts of "Just booked Cagney's for the first sea day!" posts appeared once reservations opened up.

i think people book cagney’s because it’s a known commodity, but mostly because they think they get the best value out of cagney’s… menu items are pricey and so their FAS dining credit is easily worth $120 or more for two people. in my opinion, cagney’s is hit or miss, mostly miss. and if you’re in the haven, you can get a quality steak pretty much anytime, so, presumably, there is less appeal to booking cagney’s. i’d much rather book los lobos or Q or something else I can’t get in the haven restaurant.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i’d much rather book los lobos or Q or something else I can’t get in the haven restaurant.

LeBistro is my favorite, and Moderno is second (the grilled pineapple 🤤) so I'm sad to miss that on Bliss, but I'm excited to try Q for the first time next week! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, janusk said:

If you are a non-US pax you will not receive luggage tags nor Haven letter. Actually, they won´t even send you an email. Still wondering why we Europeans are being treated like this by NCL. 
We are travelling on NCL Getaway in Haven July 12th, and this was the answer I got from the Concierge desk after asking them : 

Hi Janus,

We apologize for the inconvenience. Because of time differences, long distance calling, and limitations in assisting with your reservation due to foreign currencies, we do not reach out to international guests. However, your Concierge and Butler will be happy to assist with all your needs once onboard. 

So apparently the time difference makes it difficult sending an e-mail to your best paying customers telling them that you are excited that they chose you as their vacation choice..... Go figure....

I’m not sure that’s correct. We’re from the UK and I’ve emailed the haven concierge a few times and they have made dining reservations and set up my bar preferences in the owners suite. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

NCL (I know other lines are too) really is a bottom feeding sack of a corporation.

Just curious.  Why would you sail on a "bottom feeding sack of a corporation's" vessels, or do you just comment on their threads for free?

I see you have been posting about 150 posts each month for the past year since you joined.  Arent there any other hobbies you might enjoy?  🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, janusk said:

I’m in Canada and upgraded to a suite on my last cruise, and they did actually mail out the typical welcome letter and luggage tags.  I’m surprised they don’t for Europeans.  

17 minutes ago, knscruiser322 said:

Question. For the NCL Joy, are reservations only available for Footloose and Elements? Do we have to make reservations in the Comedy Club etc.

@knscruiser322 You can make reservations for the Comedy Club or the Cavern Club.  It is first come, first served for everyone.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fifi1910 said:

I’m not sure that’s correct. We’re from the UK and I’ve emailed the haven concierge a few times and they have made dining reservations and set up my bar preferences in the owners suite. 

Oh yeah, here is the huge difference. They will do stuff for you, if YOU write them. 
What they won´t do is send you a welcome letter/email, welcoming you onboard, which I find quit interesting..... 

In your post, where you assuming, that I just made up the email I was qouting from conierge desk??

2 hours ago, janusk said:

Oh yeah, here is the huge difference. They will do stuff for you, if YOU write them. 
What they won´t do is send you a welcome letter/email, welcoming you onboard, which I find quit interesting..... 

In your post, where you assuming, that I just made up the email I was qouting from conierge desk??

No I wasn’t doubting what you said at all, NCL never give clear answers or reasons, they make it up as they go. I think if I remember  I’ve received one welcome letter and luggage tags in the post in 9 years so they’re not consistent. 

11 hours ago, UKstages said:

i think gary meant to say that you can’t make reservations at these venues… comedy and cavern… just in case it wasn’t obvious from his second sentence.

Yes, thank you for the clarification. 

12 hours ago, bomabound said:

I’m in Canada and upgraded to a suite on my last cruise, and they did actually mail out the typical welcome letter and luggage tags.  I’m surprised they don’t for Europeans.  

You were lucky..we have booked several havens (last was last feb on the Escape) and have never got the luggage tags or letter or email..my awesome travel agent prints them off for us, and I just email the concierge desk, who have always replied..with our reservations, wants, and egg crate topper for the second bedroom for our friend.  Dinner reservations after learning the hard way when we had to miss Teppanaki on one cruise!

14 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Just curious.  Why would you sail on a "bottom feeding sack of a corporation's" vessels, or do you just comment on their threads for free?

I see you have been posting about 150 posts each month for the past year since you joined.  Arent there any other hobbies you might enjoy?  🤷‍♂️

Alas, I can only go back and forth from CNN to NY Times to planning a cruise or upcoming backpacking trip (Grand Canyon rim to rim, if you care) so much during the day. I'm still an unlucky bag that has to work ergo Cruise Critic is my go-to during the work day. As you can tell, my work isn't all that engaging. Or am I not that engaged? Hmmm!! Sheesh, though, that was a lot of math you did! If you'd like to dive deeper, you could really analyze my posts to see that most occur between 8 AM - 5 PM, Mon - Fri. Rarely do I post outside those hours (it happens, but not a lot). Because...well I do have hobbies.

I enjoy plenty of hobbies, unfortunately I'm not able to take a hike with the dogs, garden, take a drive on dirt roads, or any number of other things while at work. I do have a membership at the local zoo so oftentimes take my lunch break there. But, alas...here I am. Polluting your feed. Gosh, I've explained this before. Didn't you read my plethora of posts? No? Eh, I don't blame you! 

I think I would have selected a different thread to ask this on though, since it's a well-managed, convivial place where we all dream of our next Haven cruise (or prep for our next one). 

To answer your cruise-related question (and not posting habit question)...since April, 2022 I have cruised on NCL four times. The Haven experience (of which all the cruises were) is an excellent one. My husband loves cruising Haven. I haven't yet been able to convince him to branch out to Yacht Club, Oceania, Uncruise, Star Clippers, Maple Leaf Adventures, etc....and of course, many of those cruise lines all have a slightly more upscale dress code than NCL so we (please read he) would be uncomfortable on those lines. 

I'm not a fan of previous NCLH CEO Frankie boy Del Rio or current NCLH CEO Dirty Harry (I think that's what I've settled on for those of you waiting for my new nickname), or the ilk they command at corporate offices. Therefore, yes, I believe NCL, as a corporation, is awful. Unethical. Bottom of the barrel, even. I truly wish they would change my mind. You can read a few of my (how many posts do I have) posts to see that I am clear and consistent on my dislike of NCL(H). What I'm not so clear and consistent on is getting away from a company with misguided morals. I wish I could. But...again, the husband loves NCL. And I love him more than I dislike NCL(H)'s corporate structure. 

Now, may we turn back to discussion of a lovely NCL oasis named the Haven "where everyone knows your name?"

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hope this list helps those new to the NCL Haven.

1. Luggage Tags:  I have NEVER used the Luggage tags sent by the NCL Haven.  This habit comes from having similar Luggage tags that ripped off.  In all of my Haven Trips, half the time I never get those tags anyway.  Instead and I highly recommend this.  I purchased on Amazon the plastic clear Luggage Tag holders, with the metal wire to hold on your luggage.  After you do your 21 day prior online check in, print your own tags and put in the plastic holder.  
  2. Haven Letter with Contact Number:  Search this stream for the telephone number and email address.  I have posted it many, many times.  I hope you get Maria. She is awesome. Don't wait and a telephone call trumps an email.
  3. Specialty Restaurant Reservations:  I make a homemade Excel Spreadsheet calendar showing days and times for my cruise.  130 days prior to the cruise, I book my specialty restaurant reservations.  If the don't show online, I call the number listed in this stream.  I don't wait.  Yet, if I have to change one, I do it before or just as I get on the ship at the Haven Desk.  With the ships filling up, it becomes more difficult but I have rarely been turned down. 
  4. Large Theatre Show Reservations:  As with Specialty Restaurants, I always do this as early as I can.  That said, I have literally never seen or heard a Haven Guest turned down for a sold out show in the main theatre.  No clarify, Haven Status means NOTHING for the Comedy Club, Cavern Club or small venue.  They are first come, first served.  Please have Realistic expectations.  Yet folks claim special access to these small venues.  It is rare and you simply can't depend on it.
  5. Haven Room Service: Always ask your butler when every possible to make sure your room service comes from the Haven Restaurant.  The only time you can't have this is when you order something off the menu or the Haven Restaurant is not open.  If you don't ask your butler to do this, they default to the normal room service menu. You paid a premium for the Haven, learn to leverage it and use it.
  6. NCL Butlers:  Lots of reason to by a serious premium for a Haven Suite.  Yet I read all the time that the Haven Butler is a waste for folks because they have simple needs. In my home, I have the Room Steward, Chef, Maintenance Worker, and Butler.  On vacation, for a short 7 days, all I want is to relax and be treated as a Rockstar.  The key to a butler is simply know what they do and don't do.  A simple cruise critic search or google search away.  With that information, I created a Butler Letter which included the gratuities for the week in it.  I never asked for crazy stuff, just wanted them to know about us, likes and dislikes.  Doing due diligence with an NCL Butler has made all the difference in good service for me and my lovely bride.  I will no longer debate the use of the letter or pre-tip.  You do you.  Let all of be honest, the Butlers for NCL are NOT has good as those provided by luxury and ultra-luxury brands.  Know that up-front and don't be disappointed.
  7. Young Kids in the Haven Sundeck:  The age is 16 or above for a reason.  I learned this reason on my very first Haven Cruise when the Haven Courtyard on the NCL Getaway had 6 young children that controlled the pool and hot tubs the entire cruise.  The kids are never the issue it is the lack of adult supervision.  NCL is a Family Cruise Line.  NCL runs with 3 and 4th person cruise free in the Haven.  The kids below and can enjoy the Haven just like the adults.  As long as they follow the rules, and allow there to be a place where quiet and relaxation for those adults is honored. I now NEVER book a Haven Suite during a holiday and spring break.  Since that decision, I have not had this issue at all.  Make a note of that. 
  8. Special Request in the Haven Restaurants:  The menu is fixed for all meals.  That is how it works.  To expect anything is unrealistic expectations.  Yet, with advance notice, kindness and class; one can make some requests.  They can be granted or not granted.  However, if I ever hear another guest being entitled, yelling openly in the Haven Restaurant because the think they own the place, I am going to help the Haven Staff put those folks in their place.  I and the rest of us are on vacation.  If I want Entitled children, I have that 51 days a year with my own children.  I don't need it on my vacation. 
  9. Time It Takes To Eat in the Haven Restaurant:  If you want to Quick Meal like at lunch, go somewhere else. Not designed for that even if you ask.  Just the way it is.  Realistic expectations. 
  10. Haven Lounge at the Port: The food and drink is limited.  Wait until you get on board.  Would you rather be outside the lounge in a room with thousands of people.  Want Caviar, go on a Ultra Luxury Brand.  Realistic Expectations.
  11. NCL Flights: Choose this option at your own risk.  NCL is a cruise company.  Their area of expertise is not flights.  On the same subject, please, please, please consider getting to the port the day before you leave.  If you roll the dice and come in the day of the cruise, don't write how bad NCL and NCL air is.  You made a error in judgement. Only has to happen once to learn a lesson. 

Every item I wrote about above has been covered and recovered in this thread.  The easiest way to learn the secrets of the Haven is to read the first post of this stream.  If you Hate the Haven, that is your right.  If you come to this stream to share how much you hate the Haven and have never experienced it, you are not coming from a position of knowledge.  If you had a bad experience and did not tell the Haven Staff immediately, you did not do your due diligence and complaining about it here helps no one. 

CruiseCritic.com is a social media platform to help Cruise Hobbies to find a way to be better educated in enhancing their cruising experience.  If you are a member in good standing, it is your obligation to help others.  If you complain all the time, you simply want others to support your decisions which helps no one.  We need realistic balanced comments because not even the NCL Haven is perfect. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2