Princess transfer San Pedro to LAX Feb 12

dockman

Got off of Majestic Princess yesterday in San Pedro....observed following:

I had bought the one way bus transfer on board  to LAX for $34.  On disembarking there is a desk staffed by a Princess person on the pier with a sign that says one way transfer to LAX $25.....sort of a slap in the face to all who bought onboard.

I didn't complain but just walked to bus and sat for a good 15 mins or so waiting for other passengers.

Bus finally leaves almost full.  Immediately notice 8 or so of the passengers with NO MASK or mask over their chins.  This after being on ship where most all followed the rules and I felt safe.  There was a sign at front of bus that said masks required but of course the driver never said one word even though it was pretty obvious.  I was able to move seats to get away from the unmasked sitting close to me.  Of course i guess i could have confronted these people but really was not anxious to start a big argument.  To top it off the a/c buttons on the bus did zero to turn on air and it was hot and stuffy.    Then of course when bus gets to LAX we stop at every terminal starting with 1.   United is terminal 7 so got to stay on bus even longer.  Also nobody ever asked to see my $34 ticket so guess i could have ridden for free if i had just gotten on.

I did take Uber to the ship and with tip it was $42 and nice car all to myself and nonstop with no worries re masks etc.

Moral of the story is take a UBER if this is the best Princess can do in providing a safe transfer. 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dockman said:

Got off of Majestic Princess yesterday in San Pedro....observed following:

I had bought the one way bus transfer on board  to LAX for $34.  On disembarking there is a desk staffed by a Princess person on the pier with a sign that says one way transfer to LAX $25.....sort of a slap in the face to all who bought onboard.

I didn't complain but just walked to bus and sat for a good 15 mins or so waiting for other passengers.

Bus finally leaves almost full.  Immediately notice 8 or so of the passengers with NO MASK or mask over their chins.  This after being on ship where most all followed the rules and I felt safe.  There was a sign at front of bus that said masks required but of course the driver never said one word even though it was pretty obvious.  I was able to move seats to get away from the unmasked sitting close to me.  Of course i guess i could have confronted these people but really was not anxious to start a big argument.  To top it off the a/c buttons on the bus did zero to turn on air and it was hot and stuffy.    Then of course when bus gets to LAX we stop at every terminal starting with 1.   United is terminal 7 so got to stay on bus even longer.  Also nobody ever asked to see my $34 ticket so guess i could have ridden for free if i had just gotten on.

I did take Uber to the ship and with tip it was $42 and nice car all to myself and nonstop with no worries re masks etc.

Moral of the story is take a UBER if this is the best Princess can do in providing a safe transfer. 

Couldn't agree more.  We have taken uber/left 8 times in the LasT 4 months from the pier to lax.  Paid as much as 36.00, and as little as 21.00.  All rides were great, and didn't have to worry about mask violators, which we found to be very widespread on our first cruise after the pause.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Couldn't agree more.  We have taken uber/left 8 times in the LasT 4 months from the pier to lax.  Paid as much as 36.00, and as little as 21.00.  All rides were great, and didn't have to worry about mask violators, which we found to be very widespread on our first cruise after the pause.  

Curious….Did you book UBER/Lyft in advance or when you left the ship. 

Thanks for your information. 

Tom😀

45 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Always when off the ship and at the curb.  Often they are right there in a minute or two.

Thank you very much. 

Did you sit in the MDR for dinner & if so were you able to have the same table/wait staff each night?

Tom😀

32 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Thank you very much. 

Did you sit in the MDR for dinner & if so were you able to have the same table/wait staff each night?

Tom😀

Have been on both the Grand and the Majestic out of San Pedro this year in both cases booked at the same time each night before I got on the cruise (any night that we decided to do something different we would cancel that day).  On both ships got the same table and the same wait staff.

19 minutes ago, smbt1 said:

Have been on both the Grand and the Majestic out of San Pedro this year in both cases booked at the same time each night before I got on the cruise (any night that we decided to do something different we would cancel that day).  On both ships got the same table and the same wait staff.

Thanks for the information. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

I learned my lesson in October, getting on terminal 1 and waiting forever for all the passengers to get on at the rest of the terminals. The woman in front of me didn't wear a mask the entire time. The only advantage  is that they handle you bag for you, taking it to the ship in a U Haul, and if you take an Uber to the pier you have to catch it at an off-site spot. But for the way back, I'd take an Uber or Lyft (compare, since Uber can charge significant surge fares). Better yet, find a way to go out of Long Beach--I've always been leery of Southwest, but my previous cruise flights on Alaska were completely full earlier this year, but my Southwest ones last week had 25-40 people on board, and by checking it precisely 24 hours in advance I was one of the first one the plane so had a nice exit row, and on 8 Southwest flights since October I haven't had anyone sit right next to me. 

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

Thank you very much. 

Tom😀

We were in club class so we could arrive whenever.  That said, we opted to go to main dining room as we were able to secure a table each night with same waitstaff.  Club class was a mess and only certain people were able to "reserve" space, so we opted out.  We will not do club class again.