Question concerning New Covid Travel Rules on Re-Entry to Canada.....again Sorry!

xcal185

I have a scheduled flight returning to Canada from Iceland on May 28th at 5pm. One article says that the test should be administer no more than 24 hrs before scheduled departure and one statement says the day prior to scheduled departure. Is this just an oversight on the GOC? should the test be take only after 5pm on May 27th, or can I take the test any time the day before? It does make a difference , since most testing facilities close at 4 or 5 pm. Probably my best bet would be to purchase a Switch Health rapid covid test for my wife and I for $79?

Any input is greatly appreciated

The Minister said 24 hours while the press release said the day prior. My bet is that the Minister got it right and that the GOC will continue to use hours instead of days.

In any event, the official version will be up on the travel.gc.ca website in less than two weeks, while your flight isn't until the end of May. So be patient for a couple more weeks and your question will be answered in plenty of time to allow you to plan.

• Thanks 1

I am sure we will get clarity soon on days versus hours.  I feel as though the Switch Health tests give you the most flexibility.  With that said I also strongly believe in a Plan A and B or even C.  We have an upcoming trip to Vegas in early April.  I will have 2 complete sets of Switch Health, and a SDM backup for departure.  Assuming the first set of Switch Health work, we will take the leftover set with us on our trip.  Then I will find a backup plan as well for our return.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The Minister said 24 hours while the press release said the day prior. My bet is that the Minister got it right and that the GOC will continue to use hours instead of days.

In any event, the official version will be up on the travel.gc.ca website in less than two weeks, while your flight isn't until the end of May. So be patient for a couple more weeks and your question will be answered in plenty of time to allow you to plan.

Ministers always get it right, regardless of any original intention. 😉

@xcal185, if it turns out to be 24 hours from scheduled departure there is at least one location open to 19:30, https://www.testcovid.is/covid-test-kringlan.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Everyone : Thanks for all the info! I have been able to book free rapid antigen tests in Iceland as well as order Switch Health Rapid  Antigen tests to have just in case there are issues at the last moment.

Thanks

Brian