Time prior to your flight @ Pearson

Reenie75

How much time did you leave prior to your flight? We are flying Toronto to Miami on a Friday morning 10:45am.

I'm wondering if I should give extra time because we are a party of 7, showing covid vaccinations, covid testing and it's a Friday. 

Edited by Reenie75

For our cruise in Nov, we gave it three hours & it basically took all that, we had Nexus cards but to be honest there is still a lot of waiting for lines to move etc. it does take a lot of hurry up & wait.  Getting through security was the longest line.  Our flight was at 8:30 though.

Edited by If only

We ( two of us) flew to Barbados yesterday.  Flight was 8:30 am.  We arrived at 5:45 and the airport was jammed.  All international and US passengers are being routed through the same security line (not sure about Canadian destinations) with no direction.  It took us close an 1.5 hrs. to navigate everything and that was in Business.  Allow loads of extra time.  If the guidance is 3 hrs., that  is the absolute minimum in my opinion.  Had up loaded all paperwork but still had to had to show it all in person.

We allowed for 3 hours when we went to Florida a few weeks ago and it pretty much took most of that. Our flight was at 9:55am. While customs was empty, everything else took awhile, baggage tagging, checking in, security took forever as there were only so many lines opened. We had about 30 mins to grab coffee and “decompress” 😉

Air Canada recommends 3 hours:  https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/plan/check-in-information/check-in-and-boarding-times.html#/

"Travelling from Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) to the U.S. or an international destination?

If you have an international flight, please arrive at the airport at least 3 hours prior to your flight departure time as processing times are longer due to COVID-19."

Last Thursday Feb 10 to Orlando was at 10:15 and checking bags n customs were the longest wait times about 40 mins each, as the security line was literally a walk though and we needed the 3 hours in total. From what I understand your bags need to checked 90 minutes prior to your flight and if not you have to be rebooked 

On the flip side, I flew to Grand Cayman on Jan 27 and DH followed on Feb 10, both flights out of T3 at YYZ on a Thursday at 9:45am.  We both checked in online with carryons only, arrived at about 7:30am-ish, and had no lines, plenty of time to hang by the gate.  When I walked to security, there were only about 3 people ahead of me in line, and I got through fast enough that I had time to go grab a quick breakfast in the lounge.

We also fly to Orlando regularly, again out of T3 on Westjet, with Nexus cards and carryons only.  We’ve never needed more than the 2 hours ahead and always have enough time at the gate to grab food for the plane, etc.

A lot depends on:

-how experienced you are at post-pandemic travel (and just travel in general) and whether you have kids/mobility issues to accommodate

- Nexus/Pre-Check/airline status/premium seats (letting you avoid some or all of the longer lines)

- checked bags or just carryons

- kiosk use or actual person

If a less-experienced traveler with no line skipping options and bags to check with an actual human, probably allow the full three hours or even more.  You might get lucky and get through faster, but it will be way less stressful for you to have the extra time so you don’t have to worry.

Edited by bookbabe

We're giving 4 hours.  Would far rather sit around and people watch than have added pressure of presenting all paperwork and avoiding crowds running on a string and possibly missing flight.

• Like 2