Diamond Plus Internet Offer

canrubu

Hello All, 

My husband and I just booked a Transatlantic cruise.  We have not sailed in quite a while. I just found out I will have to work part of the cruise. I know understandably, they have made several changes to our benefits. Does D+ still have discounted or free internet? I'm not sure if I should purchase the internet before we leave or wait until on board. 

Thank you so much and happy sailing all, 

Candy 

3 minutes ago, canrubu said:

Does D+ still have discounted or free internet? I'm not sure if I should purchase the internet before we leave or wait until on board. 

You get a discount equivalent to two 24 hour periods of Surf. The breakeven point for a TA is likely in favor of purchasing pre cruise. If you need internet the whole cruise, the better deal is likely to buy pre cruise. For only some days, use your discount on board.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, canrubu said:

Hello All, 

My husband and I just booked a Transatlantic cruise.  We have not sailed in quite a while. I just found out I will have to work part of the cruise. I know understandably, they have made several changes to our benefits. Does D+ still have discounted or free internet? I'm not sure if I should purchase the internet before we leave or wait until on board. 

Thank you so much and happy sailing all, 

Candy 

End price depends on which ship, but the last time we used our D+ discount, IIRC it took ~$50 off of the Surf+Stream single device package. If your work involves any heavy data lifting or video conferencing, you would need that package to function anywhere near normal.

I'm not sure if you pre-purchase the package that they will retroactively apply the D+ discount once  you are on board.

Edited by orville99

Remember if you do a cost benefit analysis, each  D+ member gets 2 free days or $51.99 on any on board internet package. Also, the first day is basically a waste for a package and if you can avoid a couple of days in the beginning and pick up the rest of days of the package it may be worthwhile.

You would each get two days (four 24-hour sessions total between the two of you) of internet. Depending on how often you will have to work, you could spread out your sessions and not pay for anything.

So if you only need access every other day or part of each day, you could start your first free session of internet at noon on Monday and have access Tuesday morning until noon. Start another session at noon on Wednesday and have access until Thursday at noon.  Start another session at noon on Friday and have access until Saturday at noon.  

Edited by brillohead

My wife and I are both diamond+. Could we purchase one internet account (weekly package) and apply four 24 hour credits toward the package? Essentially we would be sharing the account recognizing we obviously could't be on at the same time. Just curious if that is possible.

35 minutes ago, DENBET30 said:

Could we purchase one internet account (weekly package) and apply four 24 hour credits toward the package?

When you buy on board, you put one person's whole discount (~$52) toward the cost of the package - D+ discounts are individual, you can't combine them.

Edited by Biker19

Last week on the Allure we met a couple who did exactly that, meaning they combined their credits toward one internet package. Having said that, I'm not sure if they found a manager or supervisor that made a subjective individual decision on their behalf or does RCCL allow this across the board. Interested what others have experienced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DENBET30 said:

Having said that, I'm not sure if they found a manager or supervisor that made a subjective individual decision on their behalf or does RCCL allow this across the board. Interested what others have experienced.

The Voom person can probably do lots of things with internet packages but don't count on it and it is against policy.

Biker, who got a free upgrade to Stream from the Voom guy.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

When you buy on board, you put one person's whole discount (~$52) toward the cost of the package - D+ discounts are individual, you can't combine them.

Biker, are you sure.  It's been some 3 years since we sailed and were able to combine both my wife's and mine.  Can't remember how we accomplished it.

I use my 48 hrs and then use dh's discount for a package for the remaining days. I also usually don't sign on until the day after we sail as we don't usually need anything sailing day.  Can still text kids and check email on my phone while in a US port.

5 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I use my 48 hrs and then use dh's discount for a package for the remaining days. I also usually don't sign on until the day after we sail as we don't usually need anything sailing day.  Can still text kids and check email on my phone while in a US port.

Your post brings the memory of how we used both D+ coupons.

11 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Biker, are you sure.  It's been some 3 years since we sailed and were able to combine both my wife's and mine.  Can't remember how we accomplished it.

The only way currently to do that would be to talk to the Voom Desk representative.  

Otherwise, the on-board purchasing of Voom packages is done right on your device, and it's a per-person event, like purchasing your free photo -- you turn on wifi and get directed to a webpage where you can make your "purchase choice".  Choices are a 24-hour period or a package of some sort, and when checking out you get the choice to apply your coupon. 

But if you go see the Voom tech in person, they have the ability to put your discounts together (whether they will or not is up to them -- it's not an official Royal policy to be allowed to combine them).  

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

The only way currently to do that would be to talk to the Voom Desk representative.  

Otherwise, the on-board purchasing of Voom packages is done right on your device, and it's a per-person event, like purchasing your free photo -- you turn on wifi and get directed to a webpage where you can make your "purchase choice".  Choices are a 24-hour period or a package of some sort, and when checking out you get the choice to apply your coupon. 

But if you go see the Voom tech in person, they have the ability to put your discounts together (whether they will or not is up to them -- it's not an official Royal policy to be allowed to combine them).  

Remembered, see my reply in No. 13 post.  Skipped day 1. Used 2 days D+ coupon  for day 2 & 3 and then used the final discount for the remaining 4 day package=only paid for 2 days of internet.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Remembered, see my reply in No. 13 post.  Skipped day 1. Used 2 days D+ coupon  for day 2 & 3 and then used the final discount for the remaining 4 day package=only paid for 2 days of internet.

But the Voom rep likely has the ability to do it the other way too (combining them and just having the one package the whole cruise) ... just a function of whether they would be willing to or not.