Energy Saver Option on App

JimmyVWine

On the Medallion App, under “My Preferences”, there is a toggle on/off option in the “Rooms” section for an Energy Saver choice. The “learn more” link tells you nothing and the Princess website provides only slightly more insight.

Additionally, several energy-saving features have been built in to the staterooms, including a card reader that activates the room’s lighting, plus low-energy LED lighting fixtures.”

The default in my settings is set to activate this feature. Does anyone know what you are opting into if you leave the Energy Saver option activated?  Different water temperature? Lower lighting wattage? Dimmer TV screen?  Not exactly sure what they can change on a room-by-room basis. And if you opt in and want to change during the cruise, is that possible?

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Maybe whether or not the "new" motion sensor night lights turn on...or not. ??

44 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I suspect this is the medallion version of the "card in the slot" to keep the lights on in the cabin, and to dial the thermostat up a couple degrees when no one in the cabin.

So basically a whole lot of nothing that allows them to promote the company as energy-conscious. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

So basically a whole lot of nothing that allows them to promote the company as energy-conscious. 

Turning the lights off, and dialing back the AC saves about 1-2% of the hotel load, so over the fleet-year, this can be a significant savings.  Most ships have transitioned from CFL and fluorescent bulbs to LED's, which can save another 2-4% (LED is about 50% of CFL or 25% of an incandescent bulb).

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I toggled mine off because I have no idea what it does. If someone can tell me maybe I will toggle it back on. 

If you click on learn more it explains it. You are just telling them what paper you don’t want sent to your cabin.  

F08D80F4-91A8-4515-9405-17B9DC4DB738.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CruzDayz said:

If you click on learn more it explains it. You are just telling them what paper you don’t want sent to your cabin.  

Thank you but it looks like they’re talking about two different things there. I had already checked marked that I wanted to receive important notices and the princess patter in paper form. I think the energy saving toggle switch might be referring to something else???

3 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you but it looks like they’re talking about two different things there. I had already checked marked that I wanted to receive important notices and the princess patter in paper form. I think the energy saving toggle switch might be referring to something else???

Nope, it's to opt in or opt out. It's a great idea so you don't have to throw all of those extra papers away. One line used to give you an extra trash can for them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CruzDayz said:

Nope, it's to opt in or opt out. It's a great idea so you don't have to throw all of those extra papers away. One line used to give you an extra trash can for them.

I read this as two different things. The former is an energy issue as explained by the Chief Engineer. The latter is a waste volume issue. Important, to be sure. But not anything that drives down energy usage in any meaningful way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Turning the lights off, and dialing back the AC saves about 1-2% of the hotel load, so over the fleet-year, this can be a significant savings.

But if this percentage savings compares usage of people who opt in to the “card needed for lights” versus people who don’t and who leave the lights on all the time when they leave the cabin, it doesn’t account for a comparison of people who opt in to the card versus people who don’t, but who turn their lights off each time they leave their cabin. If a person conscientiously turns off their lights manually every single time they leave the cabin, the card system provides no savings. Who leaves their lights on when they leave? People raised by wolves??

29 minutes ago, CruzDayz said:

I had it toggled off on my last cruise. I had checked marked that I wanted the Princess patter & any important information in paper form and that is all I received.

43 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Who leaves their lights on when they leave? People raised by wolves??

Since they're not paying the electricity bill, lots.  You'd be surprised what I've seen over the years, when we go into a cabin for a maintenance call.

But, the big savings comes from the AC dial back.  Dialing back 1-2 degrees really slows down the amount of time the cabin AC unit works, and the less the chilled water needs to be cooled, the less the massive AC compressors work.  AC will account for about 60% of total hotel load.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, ImperialLady said:

is there really a motion sensor night light? 

I have read they have put LED lights in areas like they bathroom hallway and I believe under the nightstands and maybe desk area that will detect motion at night for when some of us get up to go to the rest room (2-3 times a night 🤣) . I have also read in these threads that the sensor can be covered to eliminate them from coming on. I plan on packing some painters tape to cover them 🤣

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

is there really a motion sensor night light? 

Yes. As ships are updated, they've been putting them in. Had one on the Ruby before the pause (very annoying). Can't remember is we had on on Discovery. We were in a suite and I never noticed, maybe because of the cabin layout.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Allograft said:

From what I read above, I would guess...again guess...that there is a sensor in the room that detects a medallion's presence. Much like cars that unlike when the matched fob is in a certain proximity.

There are sensors everywhere (even in the cabins).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Moondogy said:

I have read they have put LED lights in areas like they bathroom hallway and I believe under the nightstands and maybe desk area that will detect motion at night for when some of us get up to go to the rest room (2-3 times a night 🤣) . I have also read in these threads that the sensor can be covered to eliminate them from coming on. I plan on packing some painters tape to cover them 🤣

I will wait to see how bright they are and then decide whether to cover them or night. that 2-3 times a night is true for both me and my husband!😪

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

I will wait to see how bright they are and then decide whether to cover them or night. that 2-3 times a night is true for both me and my husband!😪

Ain't it great getting old?

One of my patients told me (years ago, before I was in the same boat)..."they shouldn't call it the Golden Years, they should call it the Rust Years". So true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

I have read that if it bothers you and you don't bring anything like tape to cover sensors cabin steward will do it for you if you ask them 🤞

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 1:08 PM, CruzDayz said:

On 3/6/2022 at 1:32 PM, CruzDayz said:

I checked off no extra ad's last cruise and it worked just fine.

Then I found out that they don't provide any note paper in the cabins any longer and had nothing to write a message on, so it's back to requesting the ad's.

I was tired of trying to write on paper towels.