Walk for a Cure - still happening?

arlsvera

I haven't sailed HAL in years.  Do they still do the charity 5K on board .. I think it was called Walk for a Cure?  We donated about $20, got a t-shirt, and walked a bunch of laps around the ship.  One time we walked for breast cancer and another time it was for hurricane relief in the Philippines.  Does anyone know if this is still happening?  Thanks!

Yes, On Deck for the Cure.  We walked on our 2/13-27 Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam.  I believe they said it was for 5 different cancer charities.  Good turn out but not as much hoopla as previously.  I kept asking for water or lemonade as I passed the starting point but never received any.  I talked to the organizers and told them food and snacks were previously provide.  They said, "What a good idea.  We'll do that next week."  

• Like 1

Yup. Walked this morning 9 laps on Promenade deck to equal 5K. $20+ donation for a tee shirt and wrist band. 

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Yes, On Deck for the Cure

Almost.  It's actually called "On Deck for a Cause" now.  Used to be "Cure" but that changed several years ago soon after there was controversy about Susan G Koman fund stopping giving funds to Planned Parenthood, and it was changed to several international cancer charities.  I believe Koman has "The Cure" copyrighted and the name had to be changed.  As a prostate cancer survivor I was pleased with the change.  I've done the walk many times, including on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam.  Even with the criticism of the promenade decks on those ships it has worked well even there.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Almost.  It's actually called "On Deck for a Cause" now.  Used to be "Cure" but that changed several years ago soon after there was controversy about Susan G Koman fund stopping giving funds to Planned Parenthood, and it was changed to several international cancer charities.  I believe Koman has "The Cure" copyrighted and the name had to be changed.  As a prostate cancer survivor I was pleased with the change.  I've done the walk many times, including on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam.  Even with the criticism of the promenade decks on those ships it has worked well even there.

Roy

Thanks for the updated information. It was still for the cure and benefitting the Susan G. Koman fund when my DW did it in 2018.

Here is my tshirt from February.  

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It's actually called "On Deck for a Cause" now

image.thumb.jpg.4074048e7f31b7fc6dfea6d9dc4dc3ab.jpgProudly walked, my husband is a cancer survivor too. 

• Like 1