Does NCL allow a cruise to be switched?

sportscruiser

1 hour ago, Fly2where said:

cancel and rebook is always a good option. Switching the booking is easier in my opinion due to no deposit movement hassle. 

Yes, that's why I asked if "switching" is allowed so that my deposit could just be "moved" to the new cruise. If it's canceled and re-booked, would they refund my deposit and then charge a new one? Would that even be the same amount? I've never cruised NCL before or switched/canceled a cruise so not sure about the process.

18 minutes ago, sportscruiser said:

Yes, that's why I asked if "switching" is allowed so that my deposit could just be "moved" to the new cruise. If it's canceled and re-booked, would they refund my deposit and then charge a new one? Would that even be the same amount? I've never cruised NCL before or switched/canceled a cruise so not sure about the process.

As already stated, it somewhat depends on the person you are working with.  Can they just switch you to a different date - probably.  Will they - probably not unless you specifically ask because that's not as easy as it might sound.  NCL has a very convoluted accounting system and they seem to prefer to just cancel and refund, then start over.

8 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Just confirm that the deposit is refundable if you cancel before final payment.

All bookings made in the US deposits are refundable if you cancel before final payment. I know this is not the case in the UK.

1 hour ago, sportscruiser said:

I can only answer from my experience. IF you switch the cruise, there will be NO movement on your deposit. I have switch twice on the same booking, zero money movement and I retained the original booking # etc. see picture below. 

I research on this board, back in 2011, someone already asked the exact same question on ncl board, the answer was "yes", but they used the term "exchange" instead of "switch", and the exchange was done in less than 15 mins. To each their own, some people like booking record clean (me included), but for booking agencies, it's much easier to keep the same booking instead of new booking (they need to input explanation, reference new booking, reminder/track to move deposit,  sometimes it requires approval, etc). However, just not everyone had/willing to explore the "exchange" method. (I wouldn't know until I tried). 

To your second part of the question, when you cancel and rebook, you can request NCL or TA to move the deposit to new booking. As other already explained, it's the same amount (no penalty if done before final payment).

Pls also note, since COVID, some cruise line did not allow money transfer anymore (ie MSC). IF their promo rate no longer available, and you want to change; you are asked to cancel, rebook and pay for new deposit, then wait for refund (MSC said 60days, but real life experience told me they're unreliable). NCL still allows cruise sail date switch and/or move money is a godsend, but they can change that anytime. 

My last attempt to explain one more time for cruise switching in NCL. It's more like changing a cabin category/room change or upgrade (assume perks no change). When you upgrade your room, you do not cancel your old room, you just "moved" to your new category/room, once done, your old room will be gone (no cancellation involved, you just pay the difference in fare, if any). IF there was perks change, you can either do switch or cancel and rebook (either way works).

For a true switch (not "cancel and rebook"): If you want to change/upgrade/downgrade room, for TA, they choose "category" after edit. If you change ship/date, they choose "voyage" after edit.

I did not oppose cancel and rebook. I just had a pretty bad experience with other cruise line (MSC in this case), so I would certainly appreciate options with least amount of money movement .

Edited by Fly2where

I had a cruise booked for 2021 and have now re-booked it 4 times now! It was just a phone call each time. Each time was before final payment and our deposit was with certificates, which may simplify things somewhat. They just cancel the existing cruise and re-book the new one and moved the deposit over. It will be subject to whatever rates are at the time, but they haven't changed much for quite awhile now unless you book a different class. 

I had FCC from my August 2020 cancelled cruise, and applied it to a cruise in August 2022.  A little over a month ago we booked a cruise sailing in less than 10 days from the date of booking.  I do my bookings with a travel agent.  I asked if I can convert my FCC (now deposit) to the Feb cruise.  TA worked with NCL to have that amount applied to the new cruise.  August cruise was cancelled and out of the books.