Best Beaches in Mykonos?

cclcruiser

I've actually looked into this about a week ago.  I can't speak from experience, but here is what I found: 

All of the beaches along the western half of the southern coasts are beaches that are those that all the media writes about and to which rich playboys from all over the world flock.  Some are next to the most exclusive beach clubs in the world.  Often parked off these beaches are 200 ft billionaires’ yachts (check out the Google Earth).  A typical villa on the hills surrounding the beaches starts at 11,000 EUR/night.

These beaches get crowded and have very expensive beach clubs next to them.  Most of the beaches are overrun with beach chairs, with not much room for those who do not want to pay for the chairs.  You can reserve them on https://www.beachdibs.com/mykonos .

From west to east: (The coordinates are the entrance to the beach)

Ornos Beach 37.4227°N 25.3238°E

Agio Lazaros Beach ?

Psarou Beach 37.4158°N 25.3384°E

Platys Gialos Beach 37.4142°N 25.3440°E

Agia Anna Beach 37.4094°N 25.3484°E

Paraga Beach 37.4079°N 25.3505°E

Paradise Beach 37.4102°N 25.3568°E

Super Paradise Beach 37.4149°N 25.3690°E

Agrari Beach 37.4215°N 25.3828°E

Elia Beach, 37.4230°N 25.3899°E.

You should read about these beaches at https://santorinidave.com/best-beaches-mykonos , https://www.mykonosbeachesguide.com/beaches/ .

For a few videos comparing the beaches, see, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbxXoAwRBtg , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNXdIfBxQzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3aeoGjdd-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPp4l8UQT88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxWc4r6iaU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUwNfnLhExw

• Like 6

We visited super paradise the first time, and found it like a leftover party, by noon the music was pounding and we left.  Last time we took the local bus to I think Ournos,   Just check the cost of umbrellas and chairs before you sit down. and double check prices of drinks, it can be ridiculously expensive.

10D92220-DC1B-4E05-8B57-09594F870690.thumb.jpeg.67c0f7beeb4452e003f97bcdb016ec28.jpeg

• Like 1

DW and I will confess to being beach lovers.  We have both been beach lovers for more than 50 adult years and still spend a lot of time on beaches (all over the world) where we are often the oldest couple on the sand.  So now we get to Mykonos (an island we have visited about a dozen times).  It is not just about reading online reviews.  For a cruiser (with limited time) there is also the matter of getting to and from the beach and having few worries about getting back to Mykonos Town (and their ship) on time.  DW and I also prefer to use public transportation (call us cheap) on Mykonos because it is part of the charm and can be fun.  So, on our most recent visit (August 2021) we had thought about going to Paradise (from where one can get a small boat over to Super Paradise if that is their desire) until we arrived on the island.  It was a very hot day (over 100f) and when we walked over to the bus terminal (the one near the windmills) we noticed that the next bus to Paradise meant nearly an hour wait (in the heat).  But there was a bus to Platys Gialos in only 5 min so that is where we went for the day :).  And we were quite pleased because we were able to rent decent loungers (not always easy on a busy day) and had an excellent lunch at one of the restaurants that lines that beach.

The thing about Mykonos is that there are some more remote beaches which have lots of beauty but might not have a decent place for lunch.  But more important for cruisers is they may need to worry about how they will get back to town because they are few (if any) buses and taxis may or may not be in the area.  With a rental car we do tend to seek out these quiet places, but when going off on our own with public transit we stick to more popular places.  Places like Paradise and Gialos do take away much of the anxiety of getting back to town, but they are not good choices for those wanting a private beach (hard to find anywhere on Mykonos).

Hank

P.S.  For anyone contemplating using island buses keep in mind that there are two bus "stations" in Mykonos town and they are on opposite sides of the town.  So if one is planning on heading to one part of the island (such as the south beaches) you must choose the proper bus station (they are not really stations).

Hank

• Like 3

On 3/22/2022 at 2:09 PM, exm said:

I did my research, but no experience and I'll be taking the bus to platis gialos beach when my ship docks there in August.

Hello Exm

send details about the bus you found info on and we are interested in same beach, thankyou!

We go there on the Ody OTS in mid May!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Welly9 said:

Hello Exm

send details about the bus you found info on and we are interested in same beach, thankyou!

We go there on the Ody OTS in mid May!

odyssey in august for us!

We have been to Mykonos a few times both staying in an hotel in Platis Gialos and also cruising. We are due to stop in Mykonos in May on a Celebrity cruise. The bus stop you require is the Fabrika Bus Station in Agiou Louka. You'll probably have to ask for directions through the maze of streets!! The last time we were there was 2019 and the buses were one an hour, which they always have been since we started visiting and can be quite busy. The one thing to remember is to allow enough time, to not only return to Mykonos Town, but then find your way through the myriad of small streets with some very nice shops down to the harbour. When you get to Platis Gialos bus stop keep heading down the slope to the beach and there are some restaurants there. We tend to keep going around the bay and on the far side is a small Taverna where we have eaten. We also tend to go in May as it coincides with our wedding anniversary and the weather is generally very good. Hope you enjoy your day there.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, oa47 said:

We have been to Mykonos a few times both staying in an hotel in Platis Gialos and also cruising. We are due to stop in Mykonos in May on a Celebrity cruise. The bus stop you require is the Fabrika Bus Station in Agiou Louka. You'll probably have to ask for directions through the maze of streets!! The last time we were there was 2019 and the buses were one an hour, which they always have been since we started visiting and can be quite busy. The one thing to remember is to allow enough time, to not only return to Mykonos Town, but then find your way through the myriad of small streets with some very nice shops down to the harbour. When you get to Platis Gialos bus stop keep heading down the slope to the beach and there are some restaurants there. We tend to keep going around the bay and on the far side is a small Taverna where we have eaten. We also tend to go in May as it coincides with our wedding anniversary and the weather is generally very good. Hope you enjoy your day there.

Thank you for your info! Well done! We will plot out this adventure! 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 7:36 PM, Hlitner said:

For anyone contemplating using island buses keep in mind that there are two bus "stations" in Mykonos town and they are on opposite sides of the town.  So if one is planning on heading to one part of the island (such as the south beaches) you must choose the proper bus station (they are not really stations).

Correct.  Most of the "organized" beaches on the south coast are from the Fabrika bus station (37.4429°N 25.3298°E), whereas the New Port where some cruise ships dock connect through the Old Port bus station (37.4509°N 25.3286°E).  The bus stations are 1.2 km from each other.

And yes, they are not really bus terminal.  It is just a side of a road where a bus stops.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know which beach an NCL organized excursion might go to? We'll be on the Escape in August and are eying the beach transfer - but the specifics are vague. It indicates a southern beach, a short drive away, but doesn't specify. Any ideas as to the likely destination?

Thank you!

• 10 months later...

I know this is a shot in a dark, but I thought I would ask how it went for you cruisers last year, who bussed it to Platis Gialos during your stop in Mykonos?  Did you have a great time, and was it an easy adventure, or complicated adventure to bus it to the beach and back to the pier??  From my research it seems DK Oysters is the place to avoid.  Yialo Yialo doesn't sound to bad for lounge rentals and a decent meal.  Any feedback to share by chance?  Thanks in advance ☺️

5 hours ago, Susan2771 said:

I know this is a shot in a dark, but I thought I would ask how it went for you cruisers last year, who bussed it to Platis Gialos during your stop in Mykonos?  Did you have a great time, and was it an easy adventure, or complicated adventure to bus it to the beach and back to the pier??  From my research it seems DK Oysters is the place to avoid.  Yialo Yialo doesn't sound to bad for lounge rentals and a decent meal.  Any feedback to share by chance?  Thanks in advance ☺️

The toughest part is finding the bus parking area (it is not really a bus station) since it involves walking through the winding streets of town.  A working phone with a map program is very helpful.  Otherwise, just download a map and print a hard copy or hope to find maps at town.  Folks are helpful and you are looking for the bus station on the windmill side of town (the furthest distance from the cruise port).

You are right about DK Oysters, which might rival some of the worst tourist rip-offs in Europe.  I recently read that they were finally fined (30,000 Euros was mentioned) although I think it is too little too late.  It is relatively close to the bus stop and easy to avoid. 

Over the years we have had lunch at a few of the places along the beach and they were all OK.  For us it is more a matter of finding a place with comfy loungers (we prefer thick cushions) and then negotiating a deal.  You can ask to look at a menu before you decide to rent a lounger and we have never had any rip-off issues (but we have long known to avoid DK Oysters).

Hank

We are thinking of arranging transport to Psarou beach, and then after spending some time there (Not at Nammos Beach Club, $$$) walking the path and roadway over to Platis Gialos, to a recommended restaurant there on the western edge of Platis Gialos.

You can easily see how to walk this on google maps, even though it is not programmed into google maps, and that will show you a big circle back around on it's recognized roads.

Which kind of beach, or beach club, can be a preference.

We prefer one that is not totally covered with beach clubs and beach chairs, even with the chairs out into the water!  And many of the best known beaches are like that.   I also want some clear water and soft sand at the beach entry. And for beach walking, if the water is to cool to wade. 

Just by what I have been reading, Psarou Beach has nice sand.  (not the FL panhandle, of course!  But some of the finest sand in that area.)