Travel Documents

babygrljaz

I asked my pvp but still no response....so thought i would ask here.  I did a search, thought i saw a similar question previously but no luck.  Does anyone have experience with or know if a permanent resident card without expiration is valid for a closed loop cruise?  It is valid for land travel, much like the passport card.  Carnival website recommends to renew.  But trying to book a cruise within the next 2 months, not enough time to renew (90 days minimum)

Those permanent resident cards without an expiration date are old, and those folks that still have these cards are quite lucky, as all the newer permanent resident cards have expiration dates.  I have a in-law that has one of those older cards.

As someone who has check-in cruise passengers, I can say that there is no problem using one of those older cards. The agent may have to enter the information manually because the card doesn't have a barcode/chip that can be swiped/scanned (if memory serves me).  Do have the card  holder enter the necessary information during the online check-in process.

The card should be presented first at check-in, followed by their home country's passport (if the check-in agent needs it).

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Those permanent resident cards without an expiration date are old, and those folks that still have these cards are quite lucky, as all the newer permanent resident cards have expiration dates.  I have a in-law that has one of those older cards.

As someone who has check-in cruise passengers, I can say that there is no problem using one of those older cards. The agent may have to enter the information manually because the card doesn't have a barcode/chip that can be swiped/scanned (if memory serves me).  Do have the card  holder enter the necessary information during the online check-in process.

The card should be presented first at check-in, followed by their home country's passport (if the check-in agent needs it).

Passport is required as well?  The website doesn't say anything about passport

17 minutes ago, babygrljaz said:

Passport is required as well?  The website doesn't say anything about passport

The permanent resident card is what is needed, but having the home country's passport is a good idea.  If I was your traveling companion, I would hand over as my travel ID the US permanent resident card, then IF asked for the passport, I would then pull that out.  The check-in agent may just want to see if your companion has a passport with them.  I realize that some green card holders don't have passports from their home countries (like Cuba, Iran, Syria), but if your traveling companion has it, I would bring it just in case.

Bottom line is the the US permanent card trumps their home county's passport on the closed loop cruise.  

Hope you post an update post cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The permanent resident card is what is needed, but having the home country's passport is a good idea.  If I was your traveling companion, I would hand over as my travel ID the US permanent resident card, then IF asked for the passport, I would then pull that out.  The check-in agent may just want to see if your companion has a passport with them.  I realize that some green card holders don't have passports from their home countries (like Cuba, Iran, Syria), but if your traveling companion has it, I would bring it just in case.

Bottom line is the the US permanent card trumps their home county's passport on the closed loop cruise.  

Hope you post an update post cruise!

since she only travels to the border now she let her passport expire ages ago.  Thank you for your input. My pvp finally answered.  He said resident card & valid id is all that's needed 😃 we're booking later today.  It's for the end of May 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, babygrljaz said:

since she only travels to the border now she let her passport expire ages ago.  Thank you for your input. My pvp finally answered.  He said resident card & valid id is all that's needed 😃 we're booking later today.  It's for the end of May 

It is all that is needed for re-entry into the US, but one of the islands may still require a passport from the native country to allow entry. I would recommend checking that.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 6:30 AM, sparks1093 said:

It is all that is needed for re-entry into the US, but one of the islands may still require a passport from the native country to allow entry. I would recommend checking that.

In 9 cruises I have never been asked for a passport when getting off the ship at any port nor to get back on.  valid id yes but not passport.  I spoke with my pvp though.  he said permanent resident card and valid id is all that is needed.

24 minutes ago, babygrljaz said:

In 9 cruises I have never been asked for a passport when getting off the ship at any port nor to get back on.  valid id yes but not passport.  I spoke with my pvp though.  he said permanent resident card and valid id is all that is needed.

If an island requires a passport from the native land then they wouldn't have to worry about showing it getting off at the port because they wouldn't be allowed to board in the first place. I haven't a clue which countries this would pertain to or which islands. The permanent resident card is acceptable for re-entry into the US, absolutely. Some islands may not accept that for citizens of Russia, even if they are LPRs in the US, they may require a Russian passport as well (as an example). I don't know where your friend is from nor I do know what islands you are visiting so my recommendation still stands. 

Edited by sparks1093

A birth certificate or passport is your best option.  I always recommend the passport.  If you have any sort of issue while out of the country, your passport will get you back in.  A birth certificate or resident card may not.

You may be able to verify through your local AAA Travel office.

14 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

A birth certificate or passport is your best option.  I always recommend the passport.  If you have any sort of issue while out of the country, your passport will get you back in.  A birth certificate or resident card may not.

There might be a bit of delay in returning, but the US is not in the business of stranding US citizens needlessly. The regulations that give us the closed loop exception of using a birth certificate also give the authority to waive the passport requirement for emergencies and for humanitarian reasons.

Someone traveling with their green card might be subject to more screening but they would also be allowed to return to the US (I haven't done a lot of research in this area because it doesn't pertain to me and mine, so I would urge anyone traveling with the green card to do their own research).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

@DramaQueen22, the passenger in question is a foreign national who is a long term US Permanent   Resident (Green Card Holder).  It this instance, her foreign birth certificate, nor her expired foreign passport will help her.  Her Permanent Resident Card is what will be accepted to travel on this closed loop cruise.  Your advice about birth certificates is arcuate for US born citizens.  And you are spot on about the benefits of traveling with a passport.

@babygrljaz, I think our friend  @sparks1093 was referencing another post where the poster commented that a companion who was not traveling on a passport was not allowed to get off the ship to visit a particular island.  I think @sparks1093 was just giving you a heads up that it could be a possible situation.  I don't recall the island name either, but I do recall the post.

We have a similar 'passport-only' hiccup on our Alaska cruises port-of-call in Skagway.  There are certain train excursions that travel deeper in to the Canadian Yukon that requires a passport.  So,  you can board the cruise ship with a US birth certificate, but be denied going on that particular train excursion.  And what is crazy, is there would be no problem getting off the ship in Victoria, BC with traveling with a US birth certificate.  I guess it is just one of those things that one just has to roll with.

:  )

50 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@DramaQueen22, the passenger in question is a foreign national who is a long term US Permanent   Resident (Green Card Holder).  It this instance, her foreign birth certificate, nor her expired foreign passport will help her.  Her Permanent Resident Card is what will be accepted to travel on this closed loop cruise.  Your advice about birth certificates is arcuate for US born citizens.  And you are spot on about the benefits of traveling with a passport.

@babygrljaz, I think our friend  @sparks1093 was referencing another post where the poster commented that a companion who was not traveling on a passport was not allowed to get off the ship to visit a particular island.  I think @sparks1093 was just giving you a heads up that it could be a possible situation.  I don't recall the island name either, but I do recall the post.

We have a similar 'passport-only' hiccup on our Alaska cruises port-of-call in Skagway.  There are certain train excursions that travel deeper in to the Canadian Yukon that requires a passport.  So,  you can board the cruise ship with a US birth certificate, but be denied going on that particular train excursion.  And what is crazy, is there would be no problem getting off the ship in Victoria, BC with traveling with a US birth certificate.  I guess it is just one of those things that one just has to roll with.

:  )

Yep, crossing a land border has different requirements which is what folks are doing on that excursion. There is also one in the Caribbean that would have the same issue (I think St Thomas to St John?), since you are essentially crossing a border you need something other than a birth certificate to be on the excursion.