New HA Solo Cruiser needs Help with Cabin choice for Norway

katmu

Hello-

I also posted my question in the Northern Europe section.  I’m looking to book the 14 night Voyage of the Midnight Sun on the Nieuw Statendam on 5/14/23 and will be solo.  These are the cabins I’m considering:

1. Large Inside stateroom midship, mid-deck.
  2. Single Oceanview, low deck, forward.  I like the layout but the low deck concerns me.  I’m not worried about being forward as much.
  3. Std Verandah or Aft Verandah.  These would start to eat into the excursion budget however.

I’m trying to decide if the verandah is worth the extra expense or if I’m likely going to want to be viewing the fjords from one of the main decks anyway. It’s a pretty big jump in price as a solo traveler.  Thank you.

I have stayed in the solo cabins on all three Pinnacle Class ships, and have another stay scheduled in one. They are very convenient to the entertainment venues, one flight of stairs up and you are basically there. I have not been bothered by sound from the entertainment inside the cabin. It is a bit of a hike to the food venues, but is that really a bad thing?

Pictures of some of the solo cabins on all three ships can be found at

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always a tough choice for solos. If only it weren't for that darn single supplement. 

Personally I always like to have the verandah. Depending on where I am cruising I may or may not use it a lot, band especially if there is scenic cruising I really value the private deck space. I have not stayed in the cabins on deck 1, but the time I did spend walking on deck 1 & 2 I never noticed any noise issues. All of the night life is on deck 2 & 3 so you will find yourself with very easy access. The Pinnacle class ships have less viewing from the promenade deck due to the positioning of the life boats. There is still viewing there and higher up on open decks, but just something to consider.

I am not sure that I would give up part my excursion budget for the balcony though. To me this is a once in a lifetime trip and I would want to maximize my visits to each port. There are enough public viewing areas to see during scenic parts of the trip, particularly if you show up early. But it all of course depends so much on your own priorities, budget and circumstances which are so subjective.

You could also do the solo cabin or the inside and luck out with a nice upsell offer or upgrade closer in. one should never count on this and always buy the cabin that they will be happy with, but one can also hope as well. 

I decided to split the difference between the interior and the balcony, and go with one of the forward ocean views on deck 4 that have floor to ceiling windows .  I would have been perfectly happy with the size and location of the solo cabin but there is a possibility that a friend may join me on this cruise.  

• Like 4

I did a similar summer solstice cruise on Princess 6 years ago. I think you made a good compromise. I sailed solo in a balcony cabin and can’t imagine doing it without a view almost all the time. There was so much to see. The floor to ceiling windows will be great. You’ll really enjoy it. 

14 hours ago, katmu said:

I decided to split the difference between the interior and the balcony, and go with one of the forward ocean views on deck 4 that have floor to ceiling windows .  I would have been perfectly happy with the size and location of the solo cabin but there is a possibility that a friend may join me on this cruise.  

Enjoy! With a bit of luck you will get a $50 upsell to a balcony 😉

On 3/15/2022 at 11:05 AM, katmu said:

Hello-

I also posted my question in the Northern Europe section.  I’m looking to book the 14 night Voyage of the Midnight Sun on the Nieuw Statendam on 5/14/23 and will be solo.  These are the cabins I’m considering:

1. Large Inside stateroom midship, mid-deck.
  2. Single Oceanview, low deck, forward.  I like the layout but the low deck concerns me.  I’m not worried about being forward as much.
  3. Std Verandah or Aft Verandah.  These would start to eat into the excursion budget however.

I’m trying to decide if the verandah is worth the extra expense or if I’m likely going to want to be viewing the fjords from one of the main decks anyway. It’s a pretty big jump in price as a solo traveler.  Thank you.

Well no wonder I couldn't find your post on FB.  Oh my bad!!!  hahahaha  🙂