Arrival time in Quebec

hunt182644

Have a cruise that starts in Quebec the ship will be there overnite on Oct. 20/ 1922. It will not sail until 5PM on the 21st. Flying from Nebraska we have a choice of arriving at either 5:pm or 7:pm on either the 19th or 20th. Arriving on the evening of the 20th were work out better for us. When I booked this I was told by Princess that we could board up until 11:30 the evening of the 20th, and there would be a transfer available from the airport to the ship. My question is there anyone else who has done this in the past and had no unforseen problems. I intend to reach out and talk to someone at Princess a second time, thought maybe I could get a suitable answer from someone on CC. Yes I have located hotels for the 19th if I have to fly in then, but would rather not.

We did this cruise about 5 years back and had no problems. Flew from South Florida to Minneapolis then on to Quebec, landing around 4pm. Directed by Princess Ground agents to gather up our luggage, put on the cruise tags and proceed to a line of transfer buses and and had to wait until the bus was mostly full (30 minutes or so) and off we went. Got to the terminal and and the porters collected the luggage. Checked in like usual and went up to the cabin, dumped carry-on and went to dinner. Came back and luggage had arrived. Went off afterwards to walk around (no much there and rainy) picked up some cold drinks for the coming days. You had to carry your ship's card to exit and return. Assuming the Medallion works now. Saw some peeps coming back around midnight.

Edited by busterfla

I can’t comment on the arrival times in Quebec but a couple of recommendations.

Le Lapin sauté is an absolutely excellent restaurant in the old town, wonderful rabbit based menus in the nicest area.

Châteaux Frontenac for cocktails, really lovely. Great drinks, great views.

Having done a cruise that started in Quebec City (with an overnight), a 5 or 7 pm arrival seems pretty late. At that point you're almost missing an entire day of the cruise with getting to the ship and settled in.

Personally, I'd fly in on the 19th, stay at an airport hotel (or a hotel closer the port) and then cab it to the ship as soon as it opens for boarding on the 20th. That way you're onboard, fed, and can spend the full afternoon sightseeing the old city of Quebec, and leaving the 21st fully open for excursions further outside of the downtown area. 

2 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Having done a cruise that started in Quebec City (with an overnight), a 5 or 7 pm arrival seems pretty late. At that point you're almost missing an entire day of the cruise with getting to the ship and settled in.

Personally, I'd fly in on the 19th, stay at an airport hotel (or a hotel closer the port) and then cab it to the ship as soon as it opens for boarding on the 20th. That way you're onboard, fed, and can spend the full afternoon sightseeing the old city of Quebec, and leaving the 21st fully open for excursions further outside of the downtown area. 

That's our plan!  

2 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

You know I wouldn't post normally - but I have to say a big YES to this. Quebec City is sort of the highlight of the whole cruise IMHO, and to miss an opportunity to tour it part of both days is indeed a missed opportunity.  We are doing a similar cruise this fall on Celebrity, RT out of Boston, and booked it specifically for the overnight in Quebec City. (booked it in May of 2021) Turns out it leaves early the second day.  I am so disappointed not to have more time - the next day is virtually worthless as it leaves at 10:00 am.  You are investing the time and money already.  Although it may be a bit more difficult to leave on the 19th, I think it might be worth it.

Edited by ColoradoMom!!