Itinerary time adjustments for entire cruise - interesting?

DENIE

My DW and I are sailing on the Koningsdam round trip from San Diego (Mexican Riviera) on 12/3/2022.  This is the typical 7 night cruise with port stops in Caba San Lucas, Matzatlan, and Puerto Vallarta.  We received notification via email a couple days ago stating:

"For operational reasons, the departure time in San Diego, CA has changed from 5:00 PM to 4:00 PM, the arrival time in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico has changed from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM; the departure time in Mazatlan, Mexico has changed from 6:00 PM to 5:00 PM; and the departure time in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico has changed from 11:00 PM to 9:00 PM."

The first thought is that with the shortened time frames in port, and earlier departures, if this has to do something with fuel conservation and traveling at slower speeds.  Anyone else receive a message like this?  Ultimately, it really doesn't impact our experience or enjoyment of the ports.  I just found his interesting...

• Thanks 1

Well, a couple of weeks ago, we departed San Diego at 4pm, and arrived at Cabo at 11, so you are getting an hour more, so I don't think fuel is the issue there. We sailed from Mazatlan at 5, and Puerto Vallarto at 9. I think, in general,  you are coming into alignment with what the ship has done this current Mexico season. What is tried and true, and proven.

We also got a similar message for K'dam departing SD 1/7/23. All port times on the Mexican Riviera (including sailaway from SD) were shortened by 1-2 hours. "operational reasons" such as tariff for the dock/port use???

Oh well, I suspect we will be cancelling this cruise anyway! Let them think it was due to their nickel and diming our time ashore.

• Haha 1

My husband and I are booked on the same cruise.  We've cruised primarily with X, but thought we'd give HAL a shot.  While I know itineraries are always malleable, my husband was really hoping to dive in Cabo.

This is not off to a promising start.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:44 PM, DENIE said:

The first thought is that with the shortened time frames in port, and earlier departures, if this has to do something with fuel conservation and traveling at slower speeds.

I strongly suspect you are correct. Ships seem reluctant to impose a fuel surcharge (too likely to scare off the already skittish public when it comes to cruising).  So they are likely looking for ways to save fuel by cutting cruising speeds.

Personally I'd rather have the fuel surcharge, but then I cruise primarily for the ports. This shortening of port times would not make me happy....

• Like 2