Princess and Carnival pre-cruise covid test requirements not the same; anyone know why?

Scubadoobie2

I recently did a Carnival cruise out of Long Beach.  For that cruise Carnival permitted covid tests THREE days prior to cruising, and did not differentiate between rapid antigen and PCR tests.  For my Princess cruise coming up in May Princess seems to require that rapid antigen tests be done within TWO days of the cruise.  Since Carnival owns Princess, I'm wondering why they don't have the same testing requirements.  Anyone have information that provides a rational reason for the difference?  

Carnival Corporation owns Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruises.  Two, of several independent entities they own.  On paper, Carnival Corporation stays out of how they manage themselves.  They just a holding company, they rake their money off of the top.

Carnival Corporation does own a lot of the ships though.  And they consult with each cruise line on the style and build of the ships.  But Carnival Corporation owns them, and they let the companies operate them.

Edited by 2 cruises a year

14 minutes ago, Scubadoobie2 said:

I recently did a Carnival cruise out of Long Beach.  For that cruise Carnival permitted covid tests THREE days prior to cruising, and did not differentiate between rapid antigen and PCR tests.  For my Princess cruise coming up in May Princess seems to require that rapid antigen tests be done within TWO days of the cruise.  Since Carnival owns Princess, I'm wondering why they don't have the same testing requirements.  Anyone have information that provides a rational reason for the difference?  

On Princess, if you are "up to date" on your vaccine which is 2 doses & boosted, it is 3 days for PCR or Antigen tests.

20 minutes ago, Scubadoobie2 said:

For my Princess cruise coming up in May Princess seems to require that rapid antigen tests be done within TWO days of the cruise.  Since Carnival owns Princess, I'm wondering why they don't have the same testing requirements.  Anyone have information that provides a rational reason for the difference?  

From the Princess website:  LINK

D14FC220-ADB5-475E-B827-CF7A193094D4.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*

So, "fully vaccinated" gets 2 days but "up to date" vaccinated people get 3.  Everyone has to be VERY CAREFUL about knowing their vaccination status.  Interesting, but a hazard for cruisers who aren't paying close attention to definitions. 

• Thanks 1