Some Questions.....

nicoleinwi

Sailing on the Encore end of May.  DH & I are seasoned cruisers with NCL (but first cruise since COVID).  But we are going with his parents who have never cruised before so I want to make sure everything goes smoothly.  When it's just us 2 I'm not as concerned but when I'm responsible for other people I want to be prepared.  

Soda Package - Dad will want that but not mom.  When I went to try to book it, it won't let me add it.  Do you know if this is something you now have to book onboard?  I thought when we cruised previously we could book ahead.  

Dailies - Do you still get those in your room or do they expect you to use your app?

Tea - Mom drinks hot tea.  I'm assuming that is included with regular cruise fare, she doesn't need to buy a package to get it?

Online Check - Is this where we select our boarding time?  I'm hoping we could get in by 11.  Do we need to be on this on day 21 to get the time or do we have some time to wait?  Also with online checkin, is this where we take our photo and upload now and also watch the safety video?

Muster Drill - Does it happen or not as I'm thinking we watch the online video?

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, nicoleinwi said:

Sailing on the Encore end of May.  DH & I are seasoned cruisers with NCL (but first cruise since COVID).  But we are going with his parents who have never cruised before so I want to make sure everything goes smoothly.  When it's just us 2 I'm not as concerned but when I'm responsible for other people I want to be prepared.  

Soda Package - Dad will want that but not mom.  When I went to try to book it, it won't let me add it.  Do you know if this is something you now have to book onboard?  I thought when we cruised previously we could book ahead.  

Dailies - Do you still get those in your room or do they expect you to use your app?

Tea - Mom drinks hot tea.  I'm assuming that is included with regular cruise fare, she doesn't need to buy a package to get it?

Online Check - Is this where we select our boarding time?  I'm hoping we could get in by 11.  Do we need to be on this on day 21 to get the time or do we have some time to wait?  Also with online checkin, is this where we take our photo and upload now and also watch the safety video?

Thanks in advance!

I believe the soda package has to be booked on board.  I don't drink it but one of my friends said they had to book that way for our Escape cruise in February.  Dailies are left in your room as before or you can get them at Guest Services.  Hot tea would be available in the restaurants and buffet, included in price. And yes, online check in is at 21 days (midnight EDT) and I would do it as soon as it is open if you want a specific time.  Download the photos, confirm email and phone numbers, watch the video.  Once you board, they will direct you to your muster station first thing, scan your card and you are good to go.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nicoleinwi said:

Dailies - they seem to have returned to leaving them in your room but some stewards may not always do it (on our last cruise in December, we got paper copies daily but someone else on our same deck but different section didn't); best bet is to mention on the first day to your steward that you like getting the paper copy

Tea - there will be a selection of free tea bags in the buffet, I'm not a tea drinker myself so I can't comment on the quality of the selection or if there's a charge for tea in the dining rooms; I did overhear one person on our last NCL cruise complaining that she had to put her own tea bag in the water in the buffet and apparently that was unacceptable to her?

Online check-in - sort of, you select your check-in arrival time during online check-in, e.g. what time you plan to arrive at the pier - doesn't always equate to boarding time, if there are big lines or it's just too early for the ship to be ready; but yes, this is when you upload a photo and watch the safety video

Muster drill - when you first board the ship, you will be directed to your muster station where they will scan your card and verbally ask you to confirm that you watched the video, soooo much better than the old way.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, nicoleinwi said:

Thanks in advance!

Complimentary hot tea is available in restaurants, the Garden Cafe, and the Observation Lounge. There's a small variety of black and herbal teas, but I just bring my own tea bags to quench my Stash lemon ginger tea addiction. I'm blanking out on the brand available onboard. Bigelow, maybe?

I've done six cruises since the restart, two on NCL, and received paper dailies every day on every cruise. I didn't want them since I prefer to do things on the app, but oh well.

Yes, if you want the earliest boarding period, check in on the first day you can. Everybody wants to be the first onboard! And yes, you'll complete all the check-in logistics ahead of time including the muster drill video.

Since you will watch the muster drill video ahead of time during check-in, the only thing you'll need to do onboard for muster is to visit your assigned muster station and get your card scanned. You don't have to do it immediately, but make it a priority.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure with any drink package (whether alcohol or soda only) it has to be added for all passengers in the cabin. So if dad wants it, mom has to get it by default too.

Yes, you definitely can add the soda package on before you cruise. You may have to call them to do it if you're struggling to add it online. My folks are joining us in September and the PCC they used was able to reject the free at sea alcohol package and just have them pay the price for the soda package now. 

In the 'before times' you could start your online check-in immediately. Now, you have to wait to do it all at day 21. If you have your heart set on a specific check-in time, make sure to do it the day it's available to you as spots fill up to try and help control the crowds.

All the perks and things also vary based on the type of room everyone is booked in too.

• Like 1