Choosing an aft balcony cabin on Jewel OTS

5 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I feel the same as Ashland, I didn't think aft dividers could be opened. njkruzer, would you please confirm it was aft dividers that you had opened? 

We've sailed on Jewel, Serenade, Radiance and Brilliance- always in aft cabins and on various floors and never been able to open balcony dividers 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

It's our favorite cabin for calmer seas, especially inland passage to Alaska and back.  We had it for Australia and to do the NZ fiords that was just cancelled.  😞  Huge aft wrap balcony...great for viewing both sides of the passageway.  🥰

Not a fan of the aft cabin location on the smaller ships in rough sea areas though.  (Think "see-saw" action).  

We usually do a JS and above on other ships, but not a fan of JS 1100 just above 9256 due to outdoor WJ area.  "Outside" voices and lots of chair scraping and cleaning just over 1100.  Prefer one deck insulation to public decks...but that's just me.  Many love it.  

We've enjoyed the 1100 on certain itineraries....so it depends.

The thing is many of the upper category suites on certain ships are under public areas and you have no choice than to put up with it. We just did a B2B on Explorer in an OS (#1308) some late night moving of chairs for a short time but we didn't let it bother us. There were other things onboard that did ... if ya know what I mean and I think you do :classic_wink: 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MizT said:

We are in that cabin in June for the Greek Isles on Brilliance. 

Any noise from the lounge below?

Thanks

We didn't notice any.  We cruised in Dec 21 and there was entertainment in the lounge but never heard it.  We enjoyed the extra space and larger balcony but its a long walk to the elevators.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George C said:

No pole , it did have a unique shape which we liked . 

It's a great aft cabin. Although the unique shape you mention did create a smaller closet. But still, even then we really enjoyed the cabin. Especially for a 14 day cruise. 

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

This is my favorite picture. I wish there was a site that we could see this for all the RCI ships. Any one feeling like doing this ???? Come on now...put your skills to work !!!!

Freedom Class Aft Balconies:

Freedom_aft_balconies2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ashland said:

We've enjoyed the 1100 on certain itineraries....so it depends.

The thing is many of the upper category suites on certain ships are under public areas and you have no choice than to put up with it. We just did a B2B on Explorer in an OS (#1308) some late night moving of chairs for a short time but we didn't let it bother us. There were other things onboard that did ... if ya know what I mean and I think you do :classic_wink: 

Yes, definitely know what you mean.  I don't see ourselves going back on EX anytime soon.  😉 

I am a very light sleeper.  Those chairs scraping around during middle of the night cleaning just above me keeps me awake.  Bucky just takes his hearing aids out...problem solved, but he accuses me of being able to hear ants fart.  😄 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, island lady said:

What itinerary is that?  You will love that balcony!

January 28, 2023. Costa Maya, Honduras, Cozumel. We did a similar itinerary last month on her and loved it. We had a hump balcony, but I wasn’t impressed. It was near the elevators, though. That’s the only downside I can see with an aft balcony - the long walk from the elevators. Well, I guess I’ll get my steps in!

1 hour ago, Dillybelle said:

January 28, 2023. Costa Maya, Honduras, Cozumel. We did a similar itinerary last month on her and loved it. We had a hump balcony, but I wasn’t impressed. It was near the elevators, though. That’s the only downside I can see with an aft balcony - the long walk from the elevators. Well, I guess I’ll get my steps in!

We don't have any problems with the true "hump balcony cabins" which are actually on the opposite side of the ship from the elevators, on the starboard side.  Perhaps you had one that was on the start of the curve near the elevators?  We enjoy mid hump on cruises we know will be in rough seas.   For example 9582 to 9588 if you were on deck 9.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from the Jewel. We were AFT 1604....warning Windjammer chairs scrapping starts every morning about 6:30 am and until they close at 3:00 pm and then picks back up at 6:00 pm until 9:00 pm. Thank goodness we will be on Deck 8 on our next cruise.

3 hours ago, NC State said:

Just returned from the Jewel. We were AFT 1604....warning Windjammer chairs scrapping starts every morning about 6:30 am and until they close at 3:00 pm and then picks back up at 6:00 pm until 9:00 pm. Thank goodness we will be on Deck 8 on our next cruise.

Would love to do 1100 JS on deck 10....but never book it for that reason alone.  

Plus some like to use "outside" voices out there quite often, and several times party types like to hang off the railing at night up there.  Ughh...

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 9:18 AM, island lady said:

Don't book 9256...it's just awful...awful.  😮   (Save it for me).  😉 

LOL I saw this and my heart sank as I have that cabin next year and friends have the other afts on same cruise.  sorry, you'll have to pick another 😉 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RunnerGurl615 said:

LOL I saw this and my heart sank as I have that cabin next year and friends have the other afts on same cruise.  sorry, you'll have to pick another 😉 

LOL!   That's OK...we have it for B2B Serenade in December out of Tampa.  🙂 

On 4/25/2022 at 3:21 AM, NC State said:

Looking at what is above is always important.  We had the experience of a full aft right  below the spa in one of the vision class for a back to back Caribbean and Panama canal.  All through the Caribbean it was very quiet.  Apparently there was a 7 am fitness class on the spa deck and no one came.  Come the Panama Canal leg came the fitness enthusiasts and we were up every morning early thanks to them.  So this can really vary according to your cruise colleagues.  Also for the Panama leg, the cabin below us started celebrating the transit at 7:30 am with champagne just as it started then moved on to jello shooters after (God knows how they did that!) and partying hearty thence forward.   So noise can come from all sides.  We love the full aft for the view, the balconies and the cabin sizes (ship depending) but it does have things you have to consider.  On that Caribbean cruise no issue with smuts but with the Panama and faster speed by the ship after canal transit, along they came.  You are more conscious of the engine pod noises on some ships and depending on how high you are may notice that.  It doesn't bother us, DH is retired Navy and will, on occasion, give a play by play of what the pods are doing! The full aft are the best view for anything where you want both sides like the Panama canal, the St Lawrence River cruise or Alaska and we heartily recommend them.