Heathrow to London and then to Dover help please

Please correct my thinking and offer any advice please. Arriving a few days early for a cruise departing from Dover. I assume it will be easy to get a car from the airport to a London hotel. I am also assuming it will be easy to get a covid test in London also? Thoughts?  My cruise is requiring an antigen test 2 days before sailing. Possibly my hotel could give me some advice on that. Then onto Dover. What would be the best way to get there? I'm not sure that I would like to go straight to the cruise terminal or not. Possibly stay one night in Dover but then would need transportation to get around there. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Have you booked a hotel yet? And if so, where?

Because you'll be encumbered by luggage when going from LHR to hotel and from hotel to Dover, a hotel location suitable for one or both of those journeys is perhaps more important than the very best location for sight-seeing, because it's pretty quick & easy to get around London by tube (London's metro)

A pre-booked private transfer from LHR to central London will cost between £45 and £70, a taxi simply taken from the rank at LHR will cost at least an arm mebbe even an arm & a leg.

Public transport choices are train to Paddington station (tickets bought well in advance can cost you less than half the walk-up fare) , or bus to Victoria coach station. Or - if you can handle luggage - by tube to any station on the Piccadilly line, which is direct from LHR, but because of your luggage avoid a tube journey which requires a change of line. 

You also have the option of public transport then a taxi for the last part, but a taxi ride of more than a couple of miles in central London will blow any savings over a pre-booked private transfer from LHR. 

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/

https://book.nationalexpress.com/

https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/tube

London to Dover by private transfer would be expensive, and slow compared to taking a train.

Fast trains (about an hour) from St Pancras station, or trains from Charing Cross (also call at Waterloo East and London Bridge) or from Victoria train station take about 2 hours. All are direct to Dover Priory.

So for direct travel by train you have five alternative starting points in central London.

A taxi from Dover Priory station to cruise terminal will cost about £10

Some (all?) train options have cheap advance tickets available from about 8 weeks out. Use the website to check out times and advance fares by selecting any date (except sundays) 6 to 8 weeks from now.

But be aware that advance tickets are only good for the train time that you selected, if you miss it your advance tickets are trash and you'll have to buy fresh full-price tickets for the next train.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares

Alternatively you can travel from Victoria coach station by bus. Cheaper, and handy if your hotel is in Victoria, but slow (3 hours +) and frequency is very very poor.. Destination is Dover town centre (Pencaster Road).

https://book.nationalexpress.com/coach/#/choose-journey

Travelling from central London to Dover on cruise departure morning by train is perfectly normal & safe, but be aware that last registration time at the cruise terminal is likely to be around 3pm to 3.30.

And Dover sometimes has its problems with queuing trucks for the ferries and Eurotunnel, with sections of the main M20 road used as a truck park & closed to traffic which has to use local roads - so if you travel to Dover by private transfer or bus, play safe and go down the day before.  

The town of Dover itself has nothing to offer unless you're a truck aficionado, but if you travel down the previous morning you'll have time to visit Dover Castle, which was in continuous use from Norman times to WW2, and well worth a half-day or longer.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/dover-castle/

The castle overlooks the town & has views across to the French coast. Short taxi ride up to the castle, and mebbe walk back down if your hotel is tolerably close.

If you travel down by private transfer the day before, mebbe get your driver to go a mile or so off-route to the Battle of Britain memorial at Capel Le Ferne, worth 20 minutes + and very moving. 

Or take a taxi there from Dover on cruise morning, just 5 minutes e/w.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g2269276-d2250385-Reviews-Battle_of_Britain_Memorial-Capel_le_Ferne_Kent_England.html

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

We took the National Express to Dover. IIRC, it was from Victoria Station.

Going back to Heathrow from the cruise in Dover, we took a ship transfer that included Canterbury. We found it well worth the expense because not only was it a fine excursion, but we still felt we were on our cruise vacation even after leaving the ship. (It probably helped that coming from a small ship, there were very few on the excursion and we knew 4 of them from our roll call.)

Thank you John Bull for such a thorough response and thank you ontheweb. I was also planning on using the ship transfer on the return home.

Based on the info you provided me I think I will take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station and just get a hotel there hopefully in walking distance. The main reason I'm staying in London is for the required Covid test for the cruise, otherwise, I would just stay in Dover. My husband likes WW2 history but I couldn't find any place to get the test done there. I'm sure we will both enjoy London since we have never been though. In order for us to get to one of the high speed train stations, would we be able to have a pre arranged driver for that or would we have to give up an arm for a taxi? I don't think I could figure out the bus or tube situation in that little time. It was hard enough for us to figure out Italy last year! LOL  

Thank you @John Bull This is SO helpful! I felt my stress level going down while reading your response, as transportation doesn't seem quite as huge of a task as it did before.

Now I just have to find somewhere to stay! I've been stalking Airbnb's in Kensington for months, and have watched them slowly book up. I have to get this done soon! With four of us (parents and two teens), all of us in a hotel room for the four nights we have in London seems crazy. 

5 hours ago, smileytrips said:

Thank you John Bull for such a thorough response and thank you ontheweb. I was also planning on using the ship transfer on the return home.

Based on the info you provided me I think I will take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station and just get a hotel there hopefully in walking distance. The main reason I'm staying in London is for the required Covid test for the cruise, otherwise, I would just stay in Dover. My husband likes WW2 history but I couldn't find any place to get the test done there. I'm sure we will both enjoy London since we have never been though. In order for us to get to one of the high speed train stations, would we be able to have a pre arranged driver for that or would we have to give up an arm for a taxi? I don't think I could figure out the bus or tube situation in that little time. It was hard enough for us to figure out Italy last year! LOL  

We've not cruised since the start of the pandemic and not needed to test for our couple of recent foreign forays, so you'll know more about tests than I.

The UK's biggest pharmacy chain, Boots, provide the full range of Covid tests - depending which test your cruise line / destinations require you can book for testing at their store in Paddington station or St Pancras station, or several other locations in central London -  but not their Dover branch.

https://www.boots.com/covid-19-testing

If hubby's not going to get to see Dover Castle, you can make it up for him by visiting the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-london

and of course

https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/churchill-war-rooms off Whitehall, near Big Ben..

There are direct tube trains from Paddington to all the Dover-bound train stations except London Bridge. It needs a Londoner to suggest which are easy with luggage. 

If you don't like the idea of hauling luggage on the tube, an iconic "black cab" hailed in the street from Paddington station to St Pancras (2.6 miles) should cost £14 - £20 (depends on traffic delays).

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares

Or ask your hotel if a "private-hire" taxi (known ln London as a mini-cab  altho they're regular sedans) can be booked for a fixed price.

The "arm & a leg" is for a black cab from the rank at LHR to central London, about 13 to 15 miles

From Dover back to LHR by public transport would be re-tracing your outbound route via central London, no fun at all.

So its a choice of ship's transfer bus, or a pre-booked private transfer from a Dover or Folkestone taxi operator at about £110 to £130 for a car. 

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

Thank you @John Bull This is SO helpful! I felt my stress level going down while reading your response, as transportation doesn't seem quite as huge of a task as it did before.

Now I just have to find somewhere to stay! I've been stalking Airbnb's in Kensington for months, and have watched them slowly book up. I have to get this done soon! With four of us (parents and two teens), all of us in a hotel room for the four nights we have in London seems crazy. 

A few hotels in London  have rooms which accommodate four,

eg https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-county-hall.html?cid=GLBC_LONCOU

But whether you'd still be a happy family after 4 nights is debateable 😉

There are a few apartments listed on https://www.londontoolkit.com/

Lots of other London info on that website too

JB 🙂

10 hours ago, John Bull said:

We've not cruised since the start of the pandemic and not needed to test for our couple of recent foreign forays, so you'll know more about tests than I.

The UK's biggest pharmacy chain, Boots, provide the full range of Covid tests - depending which test your cruise line / destinations require you can book for testing at their store in Paddington station or St Pancras station, or several other locations in central London -  but not their Dover branch.

If hubby's not going to get to see Dover Castle, you can make it up for him by visiting the Imperial War Museum in Lambe

From Dover back to LHR by public transport would be re-tracing your outbound route via central London, no fun at all.

So its a choice of ship's transfer bus, or a pre-booked private transfer from a Dover or Folkestone taxi operator at about £110 to £130 for a car. 

JB 🙂

I would like to reiterate how great our transfer back was using the Princess transfer including Canterbury. BTW, there was also a walking tour of Dover as well as the Canterbury stop.

As i previously posted, it really made you feel you were still on your cruise vacation instead of just going back to the airport. It was well worth the extra cost. In fact on our booked but cancelled 2020 cruise, we pre-purchased something similar---an excursion back to Heathrow from Southampton including Stonehenge. In fact, DW was looking forward more to that excursion than the actual Princess Norwegian Fjords cruise!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I would like to reiterate how great our transfer back was using the Princess transfer including Canterbury. BTW, there was also a walking tour of Dover as well as the Canterbury stop.

As i previously posted, it really made you feel you were still on your cruise vacation instead of just going back to the airport. It was well worth the extra cost. In fact on our booked but cancelled 2020 cruise, we pre-purchased something similar---an excursion back to Heathrow from Southampton including Stonehenge. In fact, DW was looking forward more to that excursion than the actual Princess Norwegian Fjords cruise!

Yes, I overlooked ships' tour-transfers 😳, but only a few cruise lines offer them.

JB 🙂

Just a warning about getting to Dover at the moment. The M20 is closed at the moment going down to Dover from London because of the lorries lining up to get to the port. The M2 has been asked to be used by people travelling to Dover so now it's absolutely blocked up with traffic. We just got back from a cruise from Southampton and it took ages to drive back to Folkestone. Not sure when they are going to do something about this road stuff, so just give yourself a lot of extra time to get there if you travel by coach or private taxi. Really would suggest you use the train!

Dover is really trying hard to entertain tourists these days, so do check on their website for things that might be happening when you are here. Dover Castle is fantastic and you can spend a lot of time there. Also the White Cliffs are great if you like walking. Canterbury is not far (there is a train going there) as well.

Have a great time (we were on Sky Princess).

I have cruised out of Dover 2x.  Both times, took National Express Coach from London Victoria Coach station. I got off at Dover Ferry terminal stop and a short taxi ride to the  Premier Inn Ferry Terminal hotel with a taxi to the ship.

I took a taxi up to visit the Dover castle.  Take the taxi phone to call for pickup as there are no taxi waiting around.

I took www.internationalfriends.co.uk from Dover with stops to my London hotel.

Princess site - Cruise Health FAQ - sailing from Britain.  Princess is doing Covid Test dockside for $60 US to be charged to your cabin account.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 9:47 PM, John Bull said:

How do you know which Boots locations do covid testing?  Can you just drop in during their normal hours and get tested?

15 minutes ago, ihopfar said:

How do you know which Boots locations do covid testing?  Can you just drop in during their normal hours and get tested?

Go to

Click on the type of test that you need  - Antigen is good enough for most countries, including the USA according to a number of US cruisers on these forums.

Scroll down that page to  Click here for the full list of stores which currently offer this service

You have to book an appointment, you can't just turn up. That applies to all regular pharmacies & clinics, might not apply to LHR or LGW..

Dover is mentioned in this thread header.

Boots don't offer rapid Covid testing in their Dover store. There are several independent local pharmacies which might but if you're spending time in London there are a number of pharmacies which do, including many branches of Boots and Lloyds Pharmacies.

Several other options (none in Dover) are mentioned in other Covid threads on this forum.

JB 🙂

On 4/11/2022 at 8:07 AM, PhilbeachTraveller said:

Just a warning about getting to Dover at the moment. The M20 is closed at the moment going down to Dover from London because of the lorries lining up to get to the port. The M2 has been asked to be used by people travelling to Dover so now it's absolutely blocked up with traffic. We just got back from a cruise from Southampton and it took ages to drive back to Folkestone. Not sure when they are going to do something about this road stuff, so just give yourself a lot of extra time to get there if you travel by coach or private taxi. Really would suggest you use the train!

Dover is really trying hard to entertain tourists these days, so do check on their website for things that might be happening when you are here. Dover Castle is fantastic and you can spend a lot of time there. Also the White Cliffs are great if you like walking. Canterbury is not far (there is a train going there) as well.

Have a great time (we were on Sky Princess).

What time should we leave Aldgate/Whitechapel hotel via private transport to get to Dover Cruise Terminal on time? Is Sunday morning traffic lighter or about the same? There are 6 of us ages 64+ so schlepping luggage to train station would be problematic.

On 5/3/2022 at 3:58 PM, mtarledge said:

What time should we leave Aldgate/Whitechapel hotel via private transport to get to Dover Cruise Terminal on time? Is Sunday morning traffic lighter or about the same? There are 6 of us ages 64+ so schlepping luggage to train station would be problematic.

It's settled down a bit now so not such a problem getting to Dover. Sunday is usually not so busy but you just never know! It takes about 90 minutes to drive from East London (where you are staying) but I'd give 2 hours just in case. Checking in at the Dover cruise terminal is pretty easy (I did it a couple of years ago, before lockdown) so you should do fine!

• Like 1

Thank you for responding. 2 hours is what EC Minibus recommended. I will probably schedule for 9:30am as well...better safe than sorry. The Carnival Tranfer bus leaves from central London at noon so I am now more comfortable with the timing. 

• Like 1