Fluid Pricing

WelshmanAtSea

Hi 

As a new member I have been lurking here in the background for several years and find these forums great for keeping up to date with what is happening. 

Just for transparency, I am a loyal P&O customer and think they offer great value in a competitive holiday market with Covid restrictions making things very difficult indeed for them and the staff both shore based and onboard. There is no doubt some recent decisions have been very frustrating for customers and P&O themselves have not always responded in a customer centric manner. I am however confident that they will get back on the game so to speak and have several cruises booked with them over the next few years.

My partner and I are not overtly picky when it comes to cabin location etc and we always book a Balcony or Suite on a Saver Guarantee basis. I am of the opinion prices at the moment are just ludicrous with some exceptional value for money, that said you still need to keep an eye on the "fluid" price environment. Today I have cancelled (losing my 5% deposits already paid) and re-booked Cruises scheduled for December & January, the net saving is over £500 which is no small amount and certainly worth an hour on the phone of anyone's time. I know Cruise lines are struggling with bookings being down but surely there must be a better way of controlling prices and keeping customers happy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You make some very good points there - particularly the desirability of keeping an eye on price movements AFTER you've booked.  The conventional wisdom is that after you've booked, you NEVER look at the price again for fear of disappointment.  I think you've proved the flaw in that philosophy.

Dynamic pricing came in, I suppose, with the increased ability of companies (airlines originally) to predict passenger numbers and price accordingly, maximising profits.  It also reduced the need for very low price distress sales at the last minute just to fill ships - all those £50pppn deals that there used to be, which hacked other passengers off so much when people boasted about them at the dining table.

I'm not sure that there is a better way - at least not one which maximises profits for cruise companies.

Given the fact P&O are pushing on with the 5% deposit strategy I am sure there are many people out there in a similar situation to myself whereby cancelling and re-booking is beneficial. 

I've another 4 Cruises scheduled with P&O later in 2023 and 2024, all with 5% deposit paid, I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on any price movements over the next 18 months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WelshmanAtSea said:

Given the fact P&O are pushing on with the 5% deposit strategy I am sure there are many people out there in a similar situation to myself whereby cancelling and re-booking is beneficial. 

I've another 4 Cruises scheduled with P&O later in 2023 and 2024, all with 5% deposit paid, I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on any price movements over the next 18 months. 

One of the great things about booking onboard is the £50 deposit, lots of flexibility to rebook later if a better deal is available or just walk away and lose £50. I always watch the price, if it goes down then so be it, no different to buying a new TV from Curry's then seeing it at £100 less on Amazon a month later. 

2 hours ago, WelshmanAtSea said:

I am of the opinion prices at the moment are just ludicrous with some exceptional value for money

Although prices are a lot lower currently (compared to the past) remember the service offering is not the same and the "risk" to the customer is higher (e.g. quarantine). Each person will decide if the risk is worth the value. 

I am guessing the more that do will push the prices up and the more that don't will keep making them go lower.

The other thing that also makes prices unpredictable is all the FCC and any new cancellations that occur. 

Most people want to avoid feeling out of pocket or feel like you are getting a good deal but my view is that if we try too hard to do that we will go mad with worry about if we made the right choice or not the moment after we make a booking . If you are happy for price you paid at the time (including the onboard deposit method) be happy and if you can get it better later via cancel/rebook then treat it as a bonus

Edited by BouncingWheel

3 hours ago, WelshmanAtSea said:

Today I have cancelled (losing my 5% deposits already paid) and re-booked Cruises scheduled for December & January, the net saving is over £500

May I ask which specific cruises out of interest?  Obviously some at that time sell at a premium for obvious reasons so it's good to hear others may be reducing.

Why cancel and lose your deposit ? Flexible booking conditions mean you can change and move your deposit.  

Some good deals ATM, I have just changed my Feb 23 Azura cruise to Jan 23 and saved a total of £920 on a suite. My TA gives a personal service, available 24/7, well almost !

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Why cancel and lose your deposit ? Flexible booking conditions mean you can change and move your deposit.  

Some good deals ATM, I have just changed my Feb 23 Azura cruise to Jan 23 and saved a total of £920 on a suite. My TA gives a personal service, available 24/7, well almost !

You can't move your deposit to the same cruise so you need to cancel it and re-book. I did suggest in a previous thread that maybe move the deposit to a different cruise then move it back to the original at the lower price. However if the original cruise was a great price it would sell well thus causing the fluid pricing mechanism to push the price back up. Plus there is a chance that the TA or P&O would realise you were trying to pull a fast one and not allow it.

I've just checked my Christmas cruise. The price for my select cabin has dropped  £400 (£200pp), however my OBC of £600 has dropped to £180 so I won't be much better off at this stage. I will keep watching it until my balance is due in September.  As there are 2 flights one on 16th and one on 17th I'd hope I could legitimately change by saying something urgent has cropped up meaning I need to go a day later!

As mentioned above P&O do not allow you to move to a Cruise that you have previously booked hence the need to forego the existing deposits. 

The Cruises in question are both on Iona, G239 Northern Europe Pre Christmas, G302 Canary Islands in the New Year. 

It will be our 1st time on Iona and we are both looking forward to trying the new larger ship experience. We both love Ventura and Azura, it will be great to have even more entertainment options on board but also a little hesitant that Iona and Arvia may have lost that P&O feel. Having been on larger Royal Caribbean ships (Harmony & Symphony) I did not enjoy the experience, I'm hoping that was purely down to not enjoying the Royal brand. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

You can't move your deposit to the same cruise so you need to cancel it and re-book. I did suggest in a previous thread that maybe move the deposit to a different cruise then move it back to the original at the lower price. However if the original cruise was a great price it would sell well thus causing the fluid pricing mechanism to push the price back up. Plus there is a chance that the TA or P&O would realise you were trying to pull a fast one and not allow it.

I moved the date, same itinary, new date. No dodgy dealing, just taking advantage of a lower price a month earlier, one advantage of retirement !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I've just checked my Christmas cruise. The price for my select cabin has dropped  £400 (£200pp), however my OBC of £600 has dropped to £180 so I won't be much better off at this stage. I will keep watching it until my balance is due in September.  As there are 2 flights one on 16th and one on 17th I'd hope I could legitimately change by saying something urgent has cropped up meaning I need to go a day later!

My brother in law had already paid his balance when he saw his cruise on Azura at the start of May had come down considerably. He called his TA who cancelled his select price and rebooked him a saver fare and he got a refund of £540!

• Like 2