Skagway White Pass Railroad: summit vs into Yukon

tyrannosaur

As you know, White Pass railroad cancelled the train into Yukon Canada, so the round trip to Summit is the only one available for this year.  Chilkoot bus is still available to Yukon Canada (although we have kids prone to motion sickness during long bus trips).  2 questions:

1. What is the difference in terms of sightseeing of Summit vs into Yukon?

2.  Is the view overall much different than the Rockies (we used to live in Denver with trips to the Rockies)?

This will by our first trip to Skagway by cruise, thanks for your advice.

Personally -

Take the Train for the best comfort and results for the kids age range not known.

shorter (time wise) less complications no border crossing - no health requirements

(train does go into Canada briefly to loop around and return - no person or concession

contact at the Summit)

although you did not indicate your cruise itinerary Seattle origin or Vancouver/Seward -

The bus trip is longer and has the border check point (passport etc.) probably more expensive ?

You do get to see the Yukon interior by bus - the train not -

As noted here at CC the WPYRR trains are not going further than the Summit loop.

For viewing browsing:

Book Alaska Shore Excursions with White Pass & Yukon Route Railway (wpyr.com)

chilkoot tours - Search (bing.com)

Chilkoot Charters & Tours (skagway.com)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tyrannosaur said:

As you know, White Pass railroad cancelled the train into Yukon Canada, so the round trip to Summit is the only one available for this year.  Chilkoot bus is still available to Yukon Canada (although we have kids prone to motion sickness during long bus trips).  2 questions:

1. What is the difference in terms of sightseeing of Summit vs into Yukon?

2.  Is the view overall much different than the Rockies (we used to live in Denver with trips to the Rockies)?

This will by our first trip to Skagway by cruise, thanks for your advice.

You are more likely to see wildlife on the trip to the Yukon, if that is of interest. The smaller bus tours like Chilkoot will usually stop for wildlife (if safe) and also stop for other photo ops. The train obviously does not stop. 

There probably is not much difference in scenery vs Colorado, other than the mountains in Colorado are larger and more impressive. The history & uniqueness  of the railroad is one reason some enjoy it.

I would search YouTube for videos of both and see which looks more interesting. 

• Thanks 1

We purchased a combination train to Yukon w/returning bus tour includes lunch & gold panning etc via Princess for July 2022. Seemed like the best of both worlds & big disappointment if canceled. But,Princess  still haven't notified us of cancelation. Called their excursion dept twice this week & they know nothing  about the White Pass Rail combo cancellations, They are still selling it on their  web! My guess is their excursion people are in a foreign country. Should I Wait for Princess to cancel & see if they give me a deal?

I bet you have not gotten their email yet.  I would plan on something different.  You can book the train on your own, not sure of their refund policy if you decide you don't want to do this.  What kind of deal?  They usually just cancel.  Are there any other excursions on their site that look good?  You could rent a car for the day, and drive up the Yukon Hwy and into Canada on your own.  If so, you will need to download the ArriveCan app.  

You can book the train on your own - 

train only goes to the border Summit and returns - NO bus combos this year

There are several trains running to the Summit as many as 3 at a time.

Some of these you board the train adjacent to where your ship is at one of the

piers (Railroad - Ore Dock - Broadway)

You can also book the Bus tour to the Yukon interior - No train combos this year

With the right amount of port time it is possible to do both separately

i.e. Bus in morning and train late afternoon

Takes a lot of port time perhaps 10 or more hours to pull this off.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got officially  notified yesterday from my TA of cancellation of our Princess combo White Pass rail(north only) & bus return w/ BBQ lunch etc for July '22. We really don't want the train round trip(will have the very long Alaska rail on our land part of cruisetour). As we are seniors we don't want anything strenuous. We are considering the motorcoach  Easy Skagway: City, Summit & The Days of '98 Show or the Gold Panning & Alaska Sled Dogs then  on our own.. get lunch in Skagway + Days of '98.  Anyone have recommendations on either of these or others.