Arnold Donald stepping down as CCL CEO on Aug. 1

DaveOKC

17 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

In many cases, the onboard officer is told (implicitly or explicitly) to make problems disappear, and if they don't, their relief will be joining the ship at the next port.

If FOE or similar can get someone to say on camera "I was the very important environmental officer at ship X and then I lost my job because Y happened and I wasn't allowed to stop it", that's an extremely powerful message. Of course, only if the public decides that Y is a serious thing, like throwing garbage into the sea and not plastic straws being sold or similar non-issues. If they'd simply pay ex-officers enough to blow the whistle and then retire, I believe it would all work out like it's meant to be. I mean, it doesn't add that much to the cost of operating a cruise ship to abide to the rules, it does cost when people won't buy a cabin because everyone they know would frown about choosing CCL.

An organization similar to FOE in Holland simply said in an advertisement, repeated over and over again, that supermarket X still sold eggs from chickens treated poorly, and also said that Y and Z did not. It didn't take long for X to give in. 

50 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

plastic straws being sold

It was never about the straws being sold, it was about the inability to sort the straws back out of the waste stream for proper disposal.

50 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I mean, it doesn't add that much to the cost of operating a cruise ship to abide to the rules

And, just like the above, if you have to pay someone day and night to sort through food waste to get little plastic straws out of tons of food waste, you'd be surprised how much it costs to abide by the environmental regulations.  It cost tens of thousands of dollars a month to meet the requirements on cargo ships, so think of what a cruise ship would need.

54 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

If FOE or similar can get someone to say on camera "I was the very important environmental officer at ship X and then I lost my job because Y happened and I wasn't allowed to stop it", that's an extremely powerful message.

There have been whistleblowers, that's how the entire Princess case started.  However, it takes a very brave person to stand up and risk his entire career on this, and place his family's financial future on the table.  Who would pay this officer after whistleblowing, and knowing that he would likely never get another job at sea (though most environmental officers are not mariners)?  I know Holland has a "nanny state" that takes care of everyone, but not all countries have this, and would Holland be willing to pay for a citizen of Indonesia to retire?

59 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

An organization similar to FOE in Holland simply said in an advertisement, repeated over and over again, that supermarket X still sold eggs from chickens treated poorly, and also said that Y and Z did not. It didn't take long for X to give in. 

Don't even get me started on FOE.  Did this animal rights group actually document that the chickens were treated poorly?  If so, kudos to them, because FOE spouts baseless "facts" like "millions of tons of raw sewage enters the ocean from cruise ships".  And, you know what?  The amount of sewage from the other 98% of world shipping, who meet the same requirements as cruise ships, amounts to far more than the amount from cruise ships, but FOE won't talk about that.  Why?  Because attacking cruise lines is sexy, and if they implemented stronger requirements on other shipping, then their TV's and computers, and Iphones would cost more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Link to Friends of the Earth (FOE) attacks on cruise ships.

https://foe.org/projects/cruise-ships/?issue=335

As a budding cruise port (tender only), our local environmental activists quote FOE as the Holy Grail wanting only zero tolerance against any and all cruise ship - arguments are always laced with no small taint  "class envy", since they see all cruise passengers as rich, entitled and arrogant.

It is an uphill battle rebutting these local activists who have controlled the local media and blogs. But I also only want a few and prefer smaller over larger - which we locally have been able to accomplish - shoulder season only, no more than 10 knots per hour when in the local channel, and so far ships over 2500 passengers, and many under 1000 passengers about 30 total for the year.

Their claims are primarily "dumping raw sewage", harming marine life, destroying the fishing industry, air pollution while idling, visual pollution just being there, and naturally the tried and true "floating petri dish" argument.  

They are pretty rabid and thrive on repetition regardless of facts, but they also know how to put a lot of noisy pressure on our city council and do control the local media narrative.

FOE is their "fact checker". I on the other hand try my best to sweep back the sea.

Environmental issues resulting from cruising should be a concern in 2022.  The bad news that is generated when a cruise ship's operations at sea go awry is detrimental to the ship's Company reputation.  For some, such negative news might deter those possible guests from booking a cruise on such a ship or cruise line.  For most?  I doubt it.  

Has there ever been a successful Company that has not been villified for one reason or another?  

My hope is that Mr. Weinstein will continue to provide excellent leadership for CCL.  And, I hope that he, himself, has been a cruiser on the brands of his Company as well as with his competitors.    

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:
19 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

It was never about the straws being sold, it was about the inability to sort the straws back out of the waste stream for proper disposal.

Ah, it didn't know that! 

Did this animal rights group actually document that the chickens were treated poorly?

Well, they simply said the eggs should not be from cages (if that's the word) but free range,  and shamed X for still selling cage eggs while complimenting other companies. It was very successful.

There have been whistleblowers, that's how the entire Princess case started.  However, it takes a very brave person to stand up and risk his entire career on this, and place his family's financial future on the table.  Who would pay this officer after whistleblowing, and knowing that he would likely never get another job at sea (though most environmental officers are not mariners)?  I know Holland has a "nanny state" that takes care of everyone, but not all countries have this, and would Holland be willing to pay for a citizen of Indonesia to retire?

It shouldn't be automatically the state. I'm not familiar with FOE but organizations like Greenpeace are very wealthy, and they could make sure the whisteblower gets legal support and financial security.  

19 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Because attacking cruise lines is sexy

That's for sure, not only by environmental organizations but also as a general scapegoat. For instance, Amsterdam has a problem with too many tourists making a mess of the city. Everyone knows the problem are British bachelor party goers, not the small fine dining, museum and flowers visiting crowd from the ships. So let's ban the ships from Amsterdam.