2 Day Denali land/cruise Food Offer while in Denali

54Carol

We are taking a 2 Day Denali land tour before our Holland Alaskan cruise (late August/early Sept).  I received an email for paid in advance food (see below).   Was wondering if this is worth $349 per person.  Seems high to me but I don't know the price and availability for food in Alaska.  If anyone has taken this trip, is there food available on the trains, etc. for purchase or do you need to order ahead of time with this offer?   My husband cannot go all day without eating.  My concern is the availability on #2 and #3.   Can you please advise the types of food/restaurants available and the average price for same.  Thanks for your information.

1. Breakfast, including a menu entrée (or buffet, if available), plus coffee or tea and gratuity
  2. Box lunch on the Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour
  3. Lunch on the McKinley Explorer® with an entrée, non-alcoholic beverage and gratuity included
  4. Dinner, including soup or salad, entrée, non-alcoholic beverage and dessert, as well as gratuity
  5. The Music of Denali dinner theater is included in meal plans for guests with 2 or 3 nights in Denali

I received this offer also and am wondering if it’s worth it. I’ve read you can order ala carte on the train. I’ve also already purchased the dinner show in Denali. Been several times and the show is fun! 

• Like 1

$349 sounds like a lot for two days of food, even in Alaska.  There are food options besides the HAL options.  Also you can bring some of your own food,

.  I will also be going and will bring trail mix for breakfast 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kickboxrca said:

I haven't received the offer yet, but have read lots about this ... I have read that unless you are going to be eating the highest priced meal while in Denali, it isn't worth it.  Interested to hear what everyone says.

That has been posted by me several times.  The Karsten's House Restaurant, centrally located on the Resort, serves reasonably priced meals that are far less than the $349 requires you to eat for your moneys worth.  To spend your meal plan limit, you will need to take a bus ride to the steak restaurant in the main lodge and order the most expensive items on the menu and a huge dessert.

Before our first land/cruise tour, someone with experience suggested to skip it. We ate in the DR at McKinley Chalet. We ordered one entree to split and I got a salad. It was plenty of food. There are more choices there now. We did purchase breakfast in the dining car of the train, but the second time we rode the train, we picked up Subway sandwiches across the road from the hotel (not sure what options are still open after the last two years). I always travel with granola bars for emergency snacking. The snack box on the wilderness tour was good enough. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 1