Jump to content

Symphony cruising tips for sailing with a 1 and 4 year old


sunnydaysmile
 Share

Recommended Posts

Following!  This will be my first time cruising with my son (who will be 3 at the time of departure).  Always welcome to tips and suggestions.  We will also be with my parents for this cruise (Symphony April 2023).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hello! I just took my 8 month old on Oasis of the Seas and the trip went very well. My first tip is too really look into the ship you plan on sailing on and see what they have to offer for under 5s. Many of the cruise lines have suspended their under 3 and in some cases under 5 kids clubs. For me and my husband having access to some sort of daycare, paid or otherwise, was vital. We also wanted to make sure their were activities for our little one to do. The Oasis of the Seas had a baby splash park and an indoor play area that was perfect for tiring our little man out. 

 

Things I brought to make our trip easier...

*A travel bottle drying rack, dish soap, bottle brush, 4 sippy cups and 8 baby spoons.

*A shout stick and magnet hooks to clean any clothing caught up in a blow out and to hang to dry. Also useful for cleaning bibs.

*A stroller, this is a must imo. I made sure to order a rain cover for it as well and that came in handy on a rainy port day.

*A white noise machine. Helped drown out any sounds from outside our cabin.

 

Hope this helps!

PXL_20220607_205419781_exported_517_1654635306649.jpg

PXL_20220607_205211069.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Private tours for just your family if you can afford it.  Private group tours if you can't (the groups will be smaller than a cruise ship bus, and they will try to match you with other families.  

 

On the first day, go to the buffet.  Bring a bag and take back yoghurt, cereal (if they have boxed cereals or get some in ziplock) and fruit so they always have something to snack on.  You cannot take the fruit off the ship, but bring some cereal and yogurt with you on excursions so the kids never get hungry.  If you need the kid to stay awake in the car, give them snacks if they need to stay on their sleep schedule (some kids can handle disruptions to their sleep schedule and stay happy, others are miserable and a 10 minute car nap can ruin your day). 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Agreed with the snacks and everything else on the first post.  Some single serve packets of formula and/or an extra hand breast pump.   We bring a few favorite books and a blanket to make bedtime smooth.  Bring a package more of diapers than you think you need nothing else than running out.  Bring more clothes than you think you need.  Kids silverware.  Rcl lends out toys for under 3, just ask at the nursery.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, rshosho84 said:

Hello! I just took my 8 month old on Oasis of the Seas and the trip went very well. My first tip is too really look into the ship you plan on sailing on and see what they have to offer for under 5s. Many of the cruise lines have suspended their under 3 and in some cases under 5 kids clubs. For me and my husband having access to some sort of daycare, paid or otherwise, was vital. We also wanted to make sure their were activities for our little one to do. The Oasis of the Seas had a baby splash park and an indoor play area that was perfect for tiring our little man out. 

 

Things I brought to make our trip easier...

*A travel bottle drying rack, dish soap, bottle brush, 4 sippy cups and 8 baby spoons.

*A shout stick and magnet hooks to clean any clothing caught up in a blow out and to hang to dry. Also useful for cleaning bibs.

*A stroller, this is a must imo. I made sure to order a rain cover for it as well and that came in handy on a rainy port day.

*A white noise machine. Helped drown out any sounds from outside our cabin.

 

Hope this helps!

PXL_20220607_205419781_exported_517_1654635306649.jpg

Goodness what a cutie! Was there any issue with using swim diapers in the splash pad? And the play area shown here, are there specific times set aside for parents (or G'parents) to use this area to allow the child some playtime? Any issues with storing the stroller in the room? Was it a smaller travel stroller? I know theirs seems huge.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, kitkat343 said:

Private tours for just your family if you can afford it.  Private group tours if you can't (the groups will be smaller than a cruise ship bus, and they will try to match you with other families.  

 

On the first day, go to the buffet.  Bring a bag and take back yoghurt, cereal (if they have boxed cereals or get some in ziplock) and fruit so they always have something to snack on.  You cannot take the fruit off the ship, but bring some cereal and yogurt with you on excursions so the kids never get hungry.  If you need the kid to stay awake in the car, give them snacks if they need to stay on their sleep schedule (some kids can handle disruptions to their sleep schedule and stay happy, others are miserable and a 10 minute car nap can ruin your day). 

Are the little fridges in the cabins able to keep milk/juice cold? I am researching for a 1.5 year old. We will be on Wonder of the Seas.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 7:11 PM, BLAMBKY said:

Are the little fridges in the cabins able to keep milk/juice cold? I am researching for a 1.5 year old. We will be on Wonder of the Seas.

 

It will keep it cool enough to prevent milk from spoiling, but it won't be "cold". We always get milk, yogurt, and some fresh fruit at the lido to keep in the cabin fridge thing, nothing worse than a hangry toddler

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Following this as well. We are going on our first cruise with our 2 year old next month and were looking for any advise or tips as well. Rather it be for packing, flying, on the ship or even the ports. Excited and nervous at the same time. Seems like a lot to bring as little ones needs so much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Stews2020 said:

Following this as well. We are going on our first cruise with our 2 year old next month and were looking for any advise or tips as well. Rather it be for packing, flying, on the ship or even the ports. Excited and nervous at the same time. Seems like a lot to bring as little ones needs so much. 

look at what you use at home and bring enough for 1.5 times the time period. Keep in mind that unless you are traveling to Puerto Rico or some other US or Canadian spots, you will most likely not be able to replenish your stash of diapers or medications.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Set Sail Beyond the Ordinary with Oceania Cruises
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: The Widest View in the Whole Wide World
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...