Walkers on tenders and busses

darstamp

I have a 4 wheel walker which folds up from side to side, has a seat, has brakes and weighs about 14 lbs.  I know that wheelchairs cannot be accommodated on tenders but I'm wondering if my walker can be lifted onto the tender and taken in to shore.  I'm also wondering, once on shore, if it can be stowed on the large tour busses.  I have never cruised with a walker before but would really like to take mine as it's much less painful to walk with it and I can keep up better.  Thanks for your input.

Sometimes, lifeboat tenders will transport folding wheelchairs, but not usually power wheelchairs, and possibly lightweight scooters. Larger tenders, such as those at Half Moon Cay, can, but not always do, accommodate power wheelchairs and scooters.

Buses can be hit or miss, depending on the tour operator. Sometimes, they will not be willing to open the underbus storage at all.

One of the other limitations is that, often, the destination may not be walker-friendly, such as numerous stairs, gravel, or other surface that is not friendly and they simply don’t want any liability exposure for injuries.

• Like 1

What cruise line will you be on?  Each cruise line has rules on what type of mobility equipment is allowed on the tenders.  

As for being able to stow your walker on a tour bus, assuming you booked the excursion through your cruise line, I would contact the cruise line's Access Dept and ask if the tour operator for the tour you are going on will allow your walker to be stored in the storage area under the bus.   They can contact the tour operator for this information.    I have seen mobility equipment stowed in the storage area under these tour buses.  Your cruise line probably has some wheelchair friendly excursions (or even a seperate brochure for these tours) that would be ideal for someone with a walker.  

I've cruised w/a rollator/walker several times; sometimes it's mine, sometimes rented.  I leave in 3 weeks w/mine for a TA.

I take the rollator especially for tender ports.  I usually cruise w/Princess & the rollator is allowed (folded) on the tenders.  The roads on shore are often bumpy, but I can managed for short distances.  Rollators are really handy to carry things too.  

Also, I've never been refused taking it on a tour bus (in the luggage hold) on a ship-sponsored excursion.  I'm booked on a private excursion next month in Iceland.  I did tell the company that I would have a rollator w/me.  I shall remind/reconfirm w/them in an email next week.

For general use on the ship, I rent an electric scooter.  A 900-ft. long ship is too much walking for me, hence the scooter.  Each of my vehicles has a purpose.

And always ask the excursion staff on your ship -- what's possible or not.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your helpful comments.  I will certainly check with the cruise line (Princess) but it sounds like they are walker friendly.  

I’ve had both my walker and my very light scooter taken on tenders, I’ve found it helpful to present myself to shore excursions people on the ship to demonstrate how small and light they are. You have to be able to go up and down the steps to the tender, possibly in somewhat rough seas. All these cruises were with NCL, but I imagine other cruise lines are similar. 

• Thanks 1